Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lame a$$ brother can't be bothered to post this himself, I gotta do it for him.

1994 ZX9R with over 40,000 miles
1. starter tested, works fine
2. starter relay tested, works fine
3. ground tested, good ground
4. battery tested, battery good
5. no visible/obvious breaks in wires
6. ground from relay tested, good

As soon as the wiring harness to the junction box is plugged into the starter relay, the fuse blows. The fuse plugs into the relay itself.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He started it! Wait..no...I did.

On a side note (wait, that was the side note): I think he got the problem licked. He ended up running new wires for some of the lights and so far so good. I'm still convinced BSA had a hand in the manufacture of his bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok well, apparently I failed to fix the problem, because when I was cruising at about 20 mph today, the bike shut off as a result of the main fuse blowing. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas/rocket launchers to help fix this problem, they would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,290 Posts
I don't ride Kawis, but

...Honda's typically have a 30 amp fuse that feeds the starter relay, starter motor, rectifier, ignition switch, etc. The other fuses (about seven smaller ones) feed different branch circuits (odometer, fan motor, headlight, etc). Get a wiring diagram and see what is feed from the main up to the branch circuits. If it were something in one of the "branch" circuits it would usually be blowing that fuse. If you've got a diagram I can help you out with what to look for.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't think i will anymore, either.

Anyway, there are three wires from the starter relay harness. One is ground, one goes to the junction box, and the other to the ignition switch. Does this mean that it could be a different circuit inside the junction box that is causing the problem? I don't understand why then it would blow the main fuse instead of the fuse for that specific circuit. I will try and scan my wiring diagram so you can see for yourself.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The big Ninja lives and breathes! One of the stupid nylon connectors to the alternator is toast from the short, so that guy is gonna have to be replaced, too. Lousy Prince of Darkness. Oh well, at least we can get away with fixing this on the cheap.

It turns out wiring problems, while a huge pain in the butt, are way cheaper and easier than doing the head gasket on the ZX9. Thank god for that.

Edit: if you don't own a multimeter, BUY ONE. It knocked probably an hour off the time needed to fix this.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,796 Posts
I'll give you each one so as not to create a one sided situation.
I have two 45 autos. That should keep things even.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.