Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Which chain lube do you currently use?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What lube do you prefer and why?

I've been doing a lot of thinking as to why so many people use Chain wax instead of 90W gear oil. Frankly, I think far too many people are simply "following the croud" and listening to their salesmen at the dealerships. There are some serious advantages to using gear oil. Listed below are my thoughts of the pro and cons. I loved to hear yours.

Chain Wax:

Pros:
  1. It comes in a convient spray can.
  2. You can buy it at any local dealer.

Cons:
  1. Messier to apply and often winds up in places you didn't intend.
  2. Cost about 5X as much as gear oil.
  3. Doesn't last as long as one bottle of gear oil.
  4. Harder to clean off when it gets onto unwanted surfaces.
  5. Makes the chain look dull and dirty.
  6. Causes more dirt buildup on the chain and sprockets.
  7. You need to "Heat" the chain up before you apply the wax.

Gear Oil:

Pros:
  1. Your chain and bike manufacturer probably recommended gear oil.
  2. It's much easier, cleaner, and faster to apply.
  3. It cost much less than chain wax.
  4. Each time you lube the chain with gear oil you're also cleaning it.
  5. Your chain looks clean and shiny after lubing.

Cons:
  1. The other riders think you're an old fart that's stuck in the past with "Old technology". :001_rolleyes:

·
Power 2 the pedal
10,093 Posts
Does gear oil sling after application? I usually clean the chain w/ wd-40 or kerosene, dry/warm the chain. Then apply the chain wax/lube. The type I use doesn't sling, leaves very little build-up, and as you stated comes in a convenient spray can. What would be the recommended procedure for using the gear oil? This is the product I am currently using. http://www.belray.com/consumer/productpages/chainlube.html

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
600RidgeRunner said:
Does gear oil sling after application? I usually clean the chain w/ wd-40 or kerosene, dry/warm the chain. Then apply the chain wax/lube. The type I use doesn't sling, leaves very little build-up, and as you stated comes in a convenient spray can. What would be the recommended procedure for using the gear oil? This is the product I am currently using. http://www.belray.com/consumer/productpages/chainlube.html
The truth be told, anything you put on the chain will sling off to some degree, unless you're not using enough lube. From my experience it doesn't sling any more the chain wax but the difference is in the clean up. We've all tried to clean off chain wax from the rims, tag, and pipe. :001_unsure:

The best way I found to apply gear oil is by using a folded rag. Pour the bottle of gear oil across the rag 3 or 4 times in about a 3-4 inch wide pattern. Then (using a rear stand) fold the rag over the bottom of the chain in front of the rear sprocket with your left hand while you rotate the tire with your right hand. If you're dripping oil all over the floor you're trying to put too much on at one time. When the chain gets quite while you're spinning the tire you'll know you have enough oil on the chain. You will hear the difference!

I usually turn the rag once or twice and wipe the sides down real good until it's clean. It takes me literally a couple of minutes at best.

But keep this in mind, if you've been using chain wax it probably has a lot of buildup that will need to be cleaned before you try and use gear oil.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
NewRedRider said:
We've all tried to clean off chain wax from the rims, tag, and pipe. :001_unsure:
I use the Bel-Ray stuff too. Any overspray wipes off easy w/ WD-40.

Now for the silly question...
Has anyone heard of using Pam cooking spray?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
h_ryder said:

As a chain lube, I'd prefer something with a little more resilience than Canola oil. As a cleaner, I've never even considered it. As a flapjack cooker, yeah. :mellow:

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
h_ryder said:

It only works if it is the garlic flavored one

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
I use a few things. RK O-ring chainlube (non-aerosol) for the heavy sticky lubes, and Motul aerosol for the quick touchup. There's a lot of rain/rain riding up here so the lube vanishes very quickly.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Danke said:
I use a few things. RK O-ring chainlube (non-aerosol) for the heavy sticky lubes, and Motul aerosol for the quick touchup. There's a lot of rain/rain riding up here so the lube vanishes very quickly.
Have you ever been to Florida? :confused1: During the summer months it rains just about everyday at 3:00pm. Just in time for me to ride home from work.

Bigdaa, what "other" do you use?

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Have you ever been to Florida? :confused1: During the summer months it rains just about everyday at 3:00pm. Just in time for me to ride home from work.

30 days and 30 nights is the norm up here.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,705 Posts
NewRedRider said:

Sorry, I didn't know where to put 'other'

Silkolene.

You know, I find that 85W90 gear oil smaaaeeeellllllsssssss baddddd man. And it slings like a mother!!!!
But, I admit that I consider it a very good lube. Also, you know folks....kerosene cleans up EVERYTHING like really fast. And when you follow that up with Honda Spray Cleaner, you've got it made in the shade.

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
I just got a can of the Honda Chain lube. Works as well as the other chain waxes.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to lubing the chain (o-ring or x-ring). All you are doing is giving the outside of the rollers, the o-rings and sprockets lubrication, nothing more. The grease behind the O-rings/X-rings is what keeps the chains internal joints lubed. This grease can not be replaced and once used up, the chain gets shot really quick.

There is no need to over do it and use excessive oil and/or wax to the point it is dripping off or there is a large build up. Just enough so that the chain runs quiet when spinning the tire is plenty.

The key is to always keep the chain clean and this will make it last the longest. Any lube that attracts dirt and grime will only lessen the longevity of said chain/sprockets without regular cleanings.

I find the waxes, when applied to a clean chain, will attract the least amount of dirt and grime. They should be applied when the chain is warm then allowed to cool and dry.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be interested to know what kind of mileage everyone is getting on a can of chain wax and on the chain and sprocket set. So far my set is holding strong at 21,900 and looks to have a lot more life left in the sprockets. Keeping them clean and oiled is a big part of making a chain set last.

A few more things to keep in mind about chain/sprocket longevity is being smooth on the throttle, rear wheel alignment, and making sure you keep the proper amount of chain slack.

·
Church of the Holy Smoke
1,085 Posts
All:

Ever notice the white sticky grease that comes on a chain when its new? It's white lithium grease. The Honda spray lube contains white graphite. The chain wax stuff contains whatever it contains. and 90W oil is.. well 90W oil. I have tried the chain wax spray and Honda Pro whatever.. even tried the 90w oil. All messy to some degree. It occurred to me that the white lithium stuff might be worth a try. So I headed down to the local Home store and bought a plain tube of White Lithium grease. It has pictures of farm and yard equipment on the bottle and it squirts out in a thick paste. Looks & feels just like the stuff that comes on the chain new. I put on some nitrile or latex gloves.. smear some in my hand and spin the wheel while holding the chain underneath carefully not to get too much on some spots and none in others. Also spin away from the direction that rips off my fingers. Anyway.. I am still testing as I did this late last season and have not put a lot of miles on through the winter.. but I have noticed it stays on a lot better than any damn spray.. and the chain stays quiet. Haven't even had to adjust the chain since I have put it on. Oh, and I started with a new chain at that time. I'll let ya all know how well it goes. NewRedRider is right though... chain longevity is all about how ride and take care of it. I smack the throttle like I mean it and just buy a chain when it get stretched. 17,500 miles on my 919 and on my third chain... he he. I will say this though... keeping it lubed and adjusted and not trying to set mileage records with your chain will keep your sprockets longer.

Here is the STUFF I have been using.

Time will tell. :rolleyes:

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Dark8 said:
And what is worse is you never see the sun during those 30 days.....
What are you talking about? The sun was out this this morning, yesterday, the day before, etc... albeit for only 10 minutes at a time!:cool2:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Silicone spray. Oring chains only need lube to keep the rubber orings from drying out, that & to keep the ugly rust off the outside. Cleaner than wd40 too.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MotoCycho said:
All:

Ever notice the white sticky grease that comes on a chain when its new? It's white lithium grease. The Honda spray lube contains white graphite. The chain wax stuff contains whatever it contains. and 90W oil is.. well 90W oil. I have tried the chain wax spray and Honda Pro whatever.. even tried the 90w oil. All messy to some degree. It occurred to me that the white lithium stuff might be worth a try. So I headed down to the local Home store and bought a plain tube of White Lithium grease. It has pictures of farm and yard equipment on the bottle and it squirts out in a thick paste. Looks & feels just like the stuff that comes on the chain new. I put on some nitrile or latex gloves.. smear some in my hand and spin the wheel while holding the chain underneath carefully not to get too much on some spots and none in others. Also spin away from the direction that rips off my fingers. Anyway.. I am still testing as I did this late last season and have not put a lot of miles on through the winter.. but I have noticed it stays on a lot better than any damn spray.. and the chain stays quiet. Haven't even had to adjust the chain since I have put it on. Oh, and I started with a new chain at that time. I'll let ya all know how well it goes. NewRedRider is right though... chain longevity is all about how ride and take care of it. I smack the throttle like I mean it and just buy a chain when it get stretched. 17,500 miles on my 919 and on my third chain... he he. I will say this though... keeping it lubed and adjusted and not trying to set mileage records with your chain will keep your sprockets longer.

Here is the STUFF I have been using.

Time will tell. :rolleyes:
I wonder how long you used 90W oil before switching. You see, most of my mileage has come from group rides on the weekends and I've bounced the rev limiter quite a few times. I don't baby this bike in that respect. I bought this bike to ride and enjoy it in the spirit it was built for. That's why I give so much credit to using 90W oil.

I can't believe you've gone through 3 chains already. You must be doing a lot of drag racing or you're really hard on the throttle.:eek:hmy:

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,705 Posts
YUP! That's alot of chains for that many miles. I smell bad sushi.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bigdaa said:
YUP! That's alot of chains for that many miles. I smell bad sushi.
:001_unsure: I'm not saying he's not using that many chains. Just look at his avatar! :stir:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts