WristTwisters.com banner

7281 - 7300 of 7310 Posts

·
Wanna free cat?
508 Posts
Rode the piss outta them yesterday

What tires do you run? Do you run the same tires on all track bikes?

·
Super Moderator
4,525 Posts
What tires do you run? Do you run the same tires on all track bikes?

I am a non-denominational tire scrubber.

The Zed-X has Dunlops, both R6's have Pirelli's, my old 1000RR with its unique geometry issues ran Michelin Fronts with Pirelli rears, my wife's 1000RR is on Pirelli,, but uses the smaller 180/60 series. I'm running Metzeler on the F4i and Pirelli on the Grom for track use. The only tires I actively stay away from are Bridgestone fronts.

·
Wanna free cat?
508 Posts
I am a non-denominational tire scrubber.

The Zed-X has Dunlops, both R6's have Pirelli's, my old 1000RR with its unique geometry issues ran Michelin Fronts with Pirelli rears, my wife's 1000RR is on Pirelli,, but uses the smaller 180/60 series. I'm running Metzeler on the F4i and Pirelli on the Grom for track use. The only tires I actively stay away from are Bridgestone fronts.
non-demoninational lmao
+1 on those Bridgestones.
Many newer tires are absent a balance dot. Do you balance? The only track time I have is parade laps at Mid Ohio and Road America

·
Wanna free cat?
508 Posts

·
Wanna free cat?
508 Posts
If you ever race in Texas, hit me up. I'll bring Budweiser and pom poms

·
Registered
740 Posts
recently started using slicks for the first time. nothing quite like trying to set a qualifying lap on old, worn out, cracked slicks when it's 35 degrees Fahrenheit and you have no warmers. Got to experience my first low sides as well, lol. Got a new set of pirelli sc1 for 100 bucks, old stock. Excited to try those out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Wanna free cat?
508 Posts
recently started using slicks for the first time. nothing quite like trying to set a qualifying lap on old, worn out, cracked slicks when it's 35 degrees Fahrenheit and you have no warmers. Got to experience my first low sides as well, lol. Got a new set of pirelli sc1 for 100 bucks, old stock. Excited to try those out.

Sounds like you know how to have a good time

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts

Like I've said for years.
Riding on "blues", gives you the blues, and in more ways than just one.
The ultimate in riding the "blues" is on cold days on cold pavement and not having warmers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I switched from Michelins, which I really liked to Pirelis, which I like even better.

The old Shorai battery in my even older 2008 KTM 990 Super Duke finally gave up. So I put another new Shorai battery in it, and fired it up. It was a sunny 39 degrees Fahrenheit here, and I had been outside working in the yard, so I guess I was acclimated to the temperature. But when the old Super Duke fired up, I just had to take it out for a bit. It ran perfectly, as always. I didn't even get too cold. The oil tank on that thing makes a good hand warmer as you're riding along.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The reason Pirellis work a little better for me is because on a twitchy bike like the 990 Super Duke, they're a bit more stable. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Modern pirelli, at least their sport rubber, usually have the most aggressive and twitchy profile. I wonder what tires you got that make you say stable. I know my angel gt 2 were awfully hard to turn in

·
`
3,857 Posts
Modern pirelli, at least their sport rubber, usually have the most aggressive and twitchy profile. I wonder what tires you got that make you say stable. I know my angel gt 2 were awfully hard to turn in

what Ape are you running these days? Remember seeing your post about sprocket carrier bolt issues on Aprilia forum.

Anyone tried 200/60 or 200/55 sizes? Just wondering how are they compared to 190/55... I'm on 190/55 and it's plenty of tire for me

·
Super Moderator
4,525 Posts
I run all those different sizes for various bikes and required geometry on the track. All of them are overkill for street use and it is hard to beat a 190/55 tire on a 6" rim, but when you need more then there are a lot of bigger, better choices out there for you.

·
`
3,857 Posts
I run all those different sizes for various bikes and required geometry on the track. All of them are overkill for street use and it is hard to beat a 190/55 tire on a 6" rim, but when you need more then there are a lot of bigger, better choices out there for you.
for V4 Tuono, Aprilia specifies 220/55 on 6" rim. Any downsides to that size vs 190/55 besides cost?

·
Super Moderator
4,525 Posts
There is a lot going on there that I do not have time to get into with characteristics of race tires vs street tires and carcass design/belting changing the diameter of the tire at lean etc, but as long as your ECU can adapt to the different tire sizes and even then most are a wide range of variance then I see no issues with running different size tires that make you comfortable and confident. Most riders never truly engage their traction control to a significant degree even on the track.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a caponord 1200 now, basically the dorsoduro turned adventure bike. I love it. It came with a 180/55 on a 6 inch wheel which was too narrow. I switched to a 190, mainly for geometry reasons but also because I wanted to do a bunch of track days on it. The bike surprisingly has more ground clearance than the 919, despite being an adventure bike. Just a little heavier to pick up.

·
Registered
802 Posts
On the 990 Super Duke i run a Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 180/55/ZR17 rear @ 33.5 cold psi. Front: Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 120/70/ZR17 at 32.5 psi.

On the Ducati 848 Street Fighter it calls for that oddball 180/60/17. Same tire pressures.

On the 929 which I don't ride much is a new 190/50/ZR17 Michelin. Same tire pressure.

I have Michelins on the 599, also. 180 in back. Pilot Power something or other.

Attachments

7281 - 7300 of 7310 Posts