Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Helimot Custom Suit

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. it is Friday, I hate my job - at the moment anyway. And worst of all for a Saki Drinker - I AM BORED!

So... I have been thinking about getting a second suit for myself. I crashed and killed my Zero-60 2 Piece. I have a Z Leather Suit, but I try to save that for track duty. I tried an Apex Moto suit which was a big dissappointment.

My current considerations are:

Teknic Violator Suit / Fieldsheer Falcon 5 / Alpinestar SMX-2 / Moto GP Cow Leather / SPIDI NRG or Slider /

I picked these suits because I like the design, they fit the bill as far as features and protection and also, they are not going to completely break the bank.

If were richer or had I not married Sporty :death: , I would also look at the following:

Dainese Bora / Teknics Speedstar / Alpinestars GP Replica / Another Z Custom / etc.

I am 6'3", 238 Ibs. which creates interesting challenges in getting a suit. It also inhibits my choices. I am curios as to what people either own or would choose. Please respond with comments as well.

I am basing this survey mainly on manufacturer's names, not models - so again - PLEASE post comments. Help me pass this friggin Friday.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Holy crap you're a big boy!

I've got the one-piece Spyke Titanium suit that I absolutely love. Got it for a good price, half price actually, not sure I would have paid full price for it. Had I not got it for a good price, I would have probably went with Alipinestar or Dainese.

Friend of mine crashed on my track bike in his Dainese suit going well over 100km/h and the suit held up amazingly. I was impressed with how well the suit held up, he could still wear it if he wanted to.

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Wim - you left out "Other". I like you, as we have discussed, am not small, 6'6" 285, Sporty can vouch for me!

I have a Zooni suit. http://www.jlindoleatherwear.com/ Jay Lindo is the owner and he used to make all of Helimot stuff and that is where Helimot got their design. Great suit for a decent price. Had Bates before hand, same thing well designed, crash tested, held up great.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
WIM-RC51 said:
I am 6'3", 238 Ibs. which creates interesting challenges in getting a suit. It also inhibits my choices.

I have the Dainese GP-Nitro suit. Dainese custom makes suits to your personal measurements. It's not much more money for it either. I got it from Kneedraggers.com for $250 under list price and then the custom jobbie is like $150 more. So it evened out well. If you go this route, make sure you measure very accurately. I did my measurements myself and didn't get a good read for my lower legs and the fit there isn't what I wanted... my bad.

My second choice was Spidi, awesome suit and a little cheaper than Dainese.

I see the Bora suit is on your list, the Bora Suit is my favorite of all time, but not for $2050 USD. Last year model of the Bora suit looked better in my opinion, it was going for $2350 then. No way Jose' The differences between the GP-Nitro and the Bora is that the Bora has titanium sliders and the hump is a little bigger, otherwise even Dainese claims it's all the same. And $800 less with the same technical armor. I was sold on that. I have tried on many suits, nothing was near the comfort of what I ended up with. Try on as many as you can first.

I know a lot about Dainese, not much of anyone else though.

I don't know what prices are looking like these days for kangaroo skin, but I'd like to look into that if I ever got another suit. Thinner, lighter, stronger... but more expensive usually too.

What is this guy looking at??

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
turn_1 said:
I dont know that much about suits, I have a two peice so it can double as just a jacket for street riding.

Yeah, if you get a two piece, then you have a new suit and a new jacket :)

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evad101 said:
Wim - you left out "Other". I like you, as we have discussed, am not small, 6'6" 285, Sporty can vouch for me!

I have a Zooni suit. http://www.jlindoleatherwear.com/ Jay Lindo is the owner and he used to make all of Helimot stuff and that is where Helimot got their design. Great suit for a decent price. Had Bates before hand, same thing well designed, crash tested, held up great.

Sporty can vouch for you can she? Dang! That woman gets around - first Moto, and now you to Evad ?!?! Why does it always have to be with my friends woman ?!?! W H Y ?!?!?!?! :cursing: LOL!!!

Anyway Evad, thanks. How much was the suit from Zooni. I am not crazy about a custom suit just yet because I like features like removable inner liners, ventilated humps, etc. Adolf at Z always laughs at me and how picky I can be.

I could fit Joe Rocket Suit, but just not crazy about their designs, stitch quality and arm lengths.

By the way, I could only have ten choices, no more room for "Other", that is why I hoped to get comments.

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SportyChick said:
Holy crap you're a big boy!

I've got the one-piece Spyke Titanium suit that I absolutely love. Got it for a good price, half price actually, not sure I would have paid full price for it. Had I not got it for a good price, I would have probably went with Alipinestar or Dainese.

Friend of mine crashed on my track bike in his Dainese suit going well over 100km/h and the suit held up amazingly. I was impressed with how well the suit held up, he could still wear it if he wanted to.
I like the Spyke suits, but they just don't go beyond Euro sizes. As you say, I iz a big boy!

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ragdoll said:
I have the Dainese GP-Nitro suit. Dainese custom makes suits to your personal measurements. It's not much more money for it either. I got it from Kneedraggers.com for $250 under list price and then the custom jobbie is like $150 more. So it evened out well. If you go this route, make sure you measure very accurately. I did my measurements myself and didn't get a good read for my lower legs and the fit there isn't what I wanted... my bad.

My second choice was Spidi, awesome suit and a little cheaper than Dainese.

I see the Bora suit is on your list, the Bora Suit is my favorite of all time, but not for $2050 USD. Last year model of the Bora suit looked better in my opinion, it was going for $2350 then. No way Jose' The differences between the GP-Nitro and the Bora is that the Bora has titanium sliders and the hump is a little bigger, otherwise even Dainese claims it's all the same. And $800 less with the same technical armor. I was sold on that. I have tried on many suits, nothing was near the comfort of what I ended up with. Try on as many as you can first.

I know a lot about Dainese, not much of anyone else though.

I don't know what prices are looking like these days for kangaroo skin, but I'd like to look into that if I ever got another suit. Thinner, lighter, stronger... but more expensive usually too.

Thanks for feedback. I agree with you on the pricing of the Dainese suits... they are just too astronomical. Here is an interesting fact or two actually... All Dainese warranty work is carried out here in the States, I just can say who it is. If you EVER need something done to your Dainese, let me know. Also, the guy who started Spidi used to work for Dainese or with them anyway, and that is why if you looked at earlier Spidi suits, you will see similarities in design.

On Kangaroo suits, the downside is their consistency in the leather, the leather does not breath like cow hide and it NEVER stretches. But... it is darn light and abrasive resistant. Oh yeah... and DAMN expensive too! :saddam:

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HEY!

Why aren't you people voting ?!?! Do I need to make threats here ?!?! :death:

As for trying on suits - that is getting rather difficult these days. Everyone drop-ships stuff now

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would like to have a custom one piece made..but too much dinero..so I only have a 2 piece Teknic that zips together. When more luxuary funds become available, I will go to get a Syed suit made

·
Registered
465 Posts
WIM-RC51 said:
HEY!

As for trying on suits - that is getting rather difficult these days. Everyone drop-ships stuff now
I can't vote! There's no option for me :D:001_tt2:

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
WIM-RC51 said:
HEY!

Because you didn't put anything good up there. :sailor: Kidding. Anything I prefer isn't on there atleast.

Check out the links on have on this thread if you haven't already.

I see you have RS Taichi Suits on the poll, those things hurt my eyes... there is so much going on with em.

I also just reread and noticed that this is going to be a street suit? I'd really look into 2 piece like Turn_1 said, then. Most of the 1 piece suits I tried on seemed like they'd be a nightmare for longer street riding. I'm glad mine turned out to be so comfortable, but a 2 piece will always be more comfy than a 1 piece(I think)

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
WIM-RC51 said:
Thanks for feedback. I agree with you on the pricing of the Dainese suits... they are just too astronomical. Here is an interesting fact or two actually... All Dainese warranty work is carried out here in the States, I just can say who it is. If you EVER need something done to your Dainese, let me know.
So I could have them look at the lower legs on my suit to get retailored... What is my warranty period on these things? Better yet, just tell me the contact and I'll talk to them. Thanks.

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ragdoll said:
So I could have them look at the lower legs on my suit to get retailored... What is my warranty period on these things? Better yet, just tell me the contact and I'll talk to them. Thanks.
Check with Dainese first. Only reason is I was informed they do not like to advertise that all their warranty work is done here in the US.

I will ask my friend if it is okay to disclose, and if it is, I will forward the information to you.

wim.

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ragdoll said:
Here are a few more possibilities that may have been overlooked:

I laughed so hard, I almost shyte me pants !!!! LMAO !!!

I loved the 2nd one, and might consider it for my Sunday beach ride. Number three is a PURE WINNER !!!!!:innocent:

Now.... if I could just convince sporty, ninja and rsixxy to wear option two with me for some..... *hic*

1 - 20 of 59 Posts