Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knock on wood, as I dont want anyone to ever crash... For those that have, what does it feel like? How can you describe it? Does it seem surreal?

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Ever smashed your finger in a door? Imagine an adrenaline rush just before that (assuming you know you are going down) then magnify the pain by however many injuries you get.

·
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
1,651 Posts
This is only an assumption, but the first time I crashed, when I stood my bike up, it felt like I just threw my first born out the window of a moving car. Or how I interpret it would feel like. Felt like it the second time too.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Happens too fast to prepare for it or even know it is coming. Been down twice, both were due to flippin invisible road hazards.

1st cost my F2 lots in plastic, brake lever, bar end, foot brake lever, turn signal and exhaust...It sucked. Sore shoulder for a week.

2nd was just a very slow low side...couple scuffs and a torn glove and jacket. No injuries...Just ticked off :lol:

My .02 ... I always tell potential riders that are looking into motorcycles. It's not a matter of "if" you go down...It's "when" your go down. Wear you gear!!! Unfortunately, It's gonna happen at some point throughout your riding time.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
The Mrs. and I wear out all afternoon 2up yesterday...Got in 100 miles.

Rode down to the Ocean front just to peake around and then out in the country. It amazes me at how many riders and their passengers are out there riding in shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc.

I saw a guy yesterday. Wound up directly behind him at a light. Short sleave shirt, chest protector, gloves, pants, helmet and tennis shoes :idunno: ( oh ya...And for Mike, Snik and Simpson...He was headed to "The Spot" :lol: He turned right into the BP to hang with all the other "Cool" riders)

So what exactly is the chest protector gonna do for the guy when he goes down...Cause his shoulders and arms are sure gonna take a beating! I guess his back and chest will be ok :laugh:

I think he was just tryin to look cool and show off his tats...He had a very nice flat center rear tire and about 2.5" of strips on each side :D I guess he's a master at the burn out :motorcycle:

·
919>food>beer
1,151 Posts
Well the first real get off I had happened so quick it was just like, Oh crap, then I'm rolling down the road at 40 mph, feel a few hot spots in the gloves and jacket as the pavment is burning through, legs are just flopping around. No real pain at the time, thanks helmet since I went face first into the pavment.

When I finally did stop the adrenaline was pumping so fast and hard that I actually tried to pick the bike up... Got home and couldn't move for almost 2 weeks. The worst was the knees, as they were healing up and every time I would take a step you could just feel the skin re-ripping open and tearing. I would sit on the couch and just open and close my leg every so often just so that I wouldn't lose mobility. When I woke up each morning it took about 15 minutes of pain to extend and bend my knees that I could move for the day. If the humidity goes up the scars just ache, still after a year of healing.

So yeah, its not the initial fall that sucks, its the recovery IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
It is a kinda surreal moment, because you realize what is happening and you are just a passenger at that point.

Biggest issue I have had (and mine was a slow speed lowside about 1 year ago after 10 years of riding) is the "flashback" going into a corner and getting the overanxious feeling that "oh no, this might be it again." Once that happenes, it is time to stop for a few, regather your thoughts, then continue on at a slightly less aggresive pace.

Mental blocks are hard to concour sometimes....at least for my feable mind....

·
I am BATMAN!!!
4,660 Posts
I'm sure it is different feelings, depending on the situation. If you see it coming, its gotta feel different than if you go down unexpectedly. Mine was an unexpected lowside on a bit of gravel in a corner, I was leaned way over and then before I new it the front end washed out and my 954 is sliding in front of me on the pavement. As the Canyon roads I ride usually have very little to no run off before a steep drop my thoughts were, Please don't go over the edge, please stop, Please stop. After that I was mad at myself mostly.
Ironically as I rode back to town at a stoplight some guy pulled up next to me at a stop light on the still pristine right side, rolled down his window and said, "Nice looking Bike", I said thanks, but it made me even more mad at myself at the damage I had done on the other side.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
I've not crashed on the street, but tossed my share of dirtbikes and a trackbike a couple of times. Never been hurt bad, so the extent of it was always "How's the bike?". It hurts to see your baby sliding, tumbling and ripping itself to pieces.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Crashing actually gets a bit humorous. Let me explain. Thankfully, I've never blacked out from a crash. But, have been busted up something good on more than one occasion.

A good highside just totally sucks and a good lowside only sucks when you run into something while in a nice slide!

After a few experiences. The panic somewhat goes away. You learn to will yourself through a situation and when it gets FUBAR'd ... then the "oh shiet, how much is this one going to hurts" starts going through your head in ultra slow motion! Time just stands still.

I remember my last highside. It felt like it was taking forever! Finally hit the ground ... knocked the wind out of me ... things went dark for a bit ... when the earth stopped moving ... I opened my eyes to a shieldless helmet ... trying to catch my breath ... not much pain, yet ... you learn after a few of these to slowly try to move your limbs ... know better than to try and hop up ... the real pain sets in after the adrenaline has gone down!

·
Tirone is my middle name
1,300 Posts
my experience is it is pretty surreal as it happens, one of those moments that happens in less then a blink of the eye but it seems like slow motion to you as it happens. The adrenaline hits you so fast you have no idea whats wrong at that moment. When I crashed my bike a couple summers ago I was about halfway home after crashing before I realized I was missing half the skin on my forearm and the muscle was there for everyone to see as I rode home, although I got off fairly easy in my opinion I learned my lesson the hard way about wearing protection every time.

·
Registered
760 Posts
First thought was oh shit and second was to look at my speedo to see how fast I was going right before I hit the pavement. Nail took out my rear tire right before a corner and I low slid going about 50 mph. Thank God for leathers! Only had about $250 in damage and my jacket was still usable. The sliders took most of the beating but did wear through my stator cover and broke a steering lock tab on the triple tree. I was bruised but the biggest pain was explaining what happened to my wife who hates the fact that I ride...

1 - 20 of 122 Posts