Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Stare into me...
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting what I deem a "Sunday" car for a coupla years...
My criteria are:
-Not a big investment as I don't have a lot of money
-But not a project car either....turn the key and go
-It's gotta be older, it's gotta be different
-It doesn't have to be "exotic" but I don't know if I want American
-It's gotta be fun to drive....but doesn't have to have Corvette numbers either.
-It's gotta be cool....or at least must have been cool.

So this is what I came up with. I haven't laid eyes on it yet, maybe this weekend. The guy said $6500 (my price point), which is a little high, but maybe not, if it's mint.

Honestly, the pics gave me wood. I'd appreciate what anyone has to say, positive or negative. Or point me in another direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Ditch the bra and it's gorgeous. I love the early Z cars, but the 240 is still the supreme Z in my book. After that, they just kept getting heavier.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Yep, good choices... get outta the norm!!!

A 240z clean would be the kicker but those 2 are just plain Awesome!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Nice car, but I'd have to go with some others on this. If you can, a 40 first choice, then a 60. I'm a bit biased, having owned a 300zx twin-turbo with a Stillen V package. Really do miss it.

You may even be able to find a nice clean 300 in that price range.

·
Stare into me...
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RC51 CBRXX said:
You may even be able to find a nice clean 300 in that price range.
you can find them but they are beaten up.......

I love the 300ZTT....It would be my first choice....but the one I'd want would have to be a TT and would be worth $12K+.....unmolested etc etc.

Another criteria for me i forgot to mention is the ability to throw A&C tags on it and insure it on the cheap.........

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
280z are the best......followed by the 240/260 then the 280ZX

The 240/260 series (well most of them) are prone to rust thru in the front sub frame(unibody) behind the front wheels......walk away from those....

I did a suedo ground up o a 280 zx 83....bitchin car but the bitching mary could only say "door is ajar".........If you go 280 zx get the 4.11 rear, shave .010 off the head.. smiles forever

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Those I know who have them, like them.. but not my thing.

What I always wanted was a clean 911 (turbo or non) from the late 80's. You know the one featured on the Porsche poster getting some air over a small crest... shot from behind with those huge rear fender flares....

What year was that?

I was driving down the freeway not more than a few weeks ago and came up one an all black one... big fin on the rear... in good taste of course, blacked out rims, and the sound was heavenly. I wanted to gesture him over so I may have a look but I was late for a meeting. Tinted windows too... man that was sexy....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice car!
I was looking at the pics and remembered a car years back, the Opel GT!

For my 40th birthday, I'm going out and buying myself a big ol' huge American muscle car for Sunday rides! Thinking maybe a Mustang '67 Fastback, '70 Mach 1, '69 GTO or a '63 Corvette Split window coupe!

·
Stare into me...
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Midwest and Sporty:

You guys are both barking right up my tree.....

Sporty, I'm a big time Mustang and Corvette geek.....for me the late sixties and 70's were the only eras for these cars......they are plastered all over my garage...
But I never got the Opel.....to me it always looked kinda confused....wasn't sure what it wanted to be......When I look at the early Z's, I see a lotta XKE....those lines got watered down with the ZX, but i still like it....

Midwest:
My buddy had a triple black from 86, I think. Super clean. Now he's got an amped up '02 (I got to run it at Summit Point...Ooh-fah!!!) ....I thought hard about the Porsches...I like 'em all...928 911 944...they all have their virtue. A few of my buddies are Porsche snobs, which puts me off....and, as good as they are, an old Porsche can steal $4-5K outta your pocket, in the blink of an eye.....something goes awry and you're on skid row.

My rationale is weak, I know. I'm a guy who wants an old Z car but is afraid to get one (and can't afford a good one) that's too old. I think the car is a good compromise for my taste.....can't argue with that I guess.

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
For my 40th birthday, I'm going out and buying myself a big ol' huge American muscle car for Sunday rides! Thinking maybe a Mustang '67 Fastback, '70 Mach 1, '69 GTO or a '63 Corvette Split window coupe!
MANEATER... I hope you are 18 and start saving now because the cost of entry for these beauties is beyond reach! I am a huge muscle car fan mainly due to my Dad who owned a few and his buddies had the rest. GTX's, 63 Vettes, Superbirds, 65 GTO Convert., Super Bee's, you name it, they at one time had it. The stories of my uncle selling his Hemi Charger for $1200 when it was 2yrs old and less than 5000miles on it because nobody would buy it and gas prices were going crazy... so he traded it in at a huge loss... they make me cry now. A car like that today goes for ungodly money if its numbers matching.

My closest option I am afraid is going to be a replica. I am half way to a new Superformance Cobra MKIII... totally impractical, scary fast, dangerous as all hell, loud, smelly, and I absolutely love them. I've already got my hands on a dated 4bolt main Dart block that I plan on sliding in to it.

Here's a good story; About a month ago I was bored at work and was checking the sites for a nice 67-69 Charger.. wishfully looking for a 440 6pack. Well I find one, and wouldnt you know it its local at Colin's Classic Auto's. Nice car! I was late in finding it and he headed off to Barret Jackson with it... the advertisement didnt say a price, so typically means you cant afford it. I decided to email and see if it sold. He replied almost immediately that he was on the west coast from his blackberry, looking for more cars to bring back and work on... the 69 Charger DID sell at BJ for $216,000.00 PLUS COMMISSIONS! Right then and there... I knew, I might as well keep on my plan for the Cobra...

·
Stare into me...
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude I got the coolest little die cast Cobra you've ever seen. If your mission fails, I will sell it cheap. Hell I'll just give it to ya. Comes with a certificate of authenticity.

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
GDJAM... Thanks for the offer, but I will succeed in the Cobra... unless I stumble onto some garage or barn find someplace that has one of the other cars that tickle my fancy... like a Hemi Super Bee! But seriously the odds of that are less likely than winning the lotto.

I have almost given up on them and just figure I'll 'settle' for the Superformance. I know its rough!

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
240Z ...forget the rest, it's the classic

300zxtt if you want to deal w/ all the modern electronics

88 944 Turbo S or 89 944 Turbo (all S's) - dial in 300-650rwhp, balanced 50/50 front-back ...a try slot car for the real world, one of the best sleeper-pocketrockets out there

911's are noisy as hell and handle different at speed than most other cars...just gotta get used to it

928 S4 - this ride is sooo sweet w/ just a couple mods, it's just plain wrong to be able to buy one for $7500...but you can

vettes are great but ride for chit, still the stingray is a classic look...nothing after 71

89 bmw m5 - a stonkin machine available for under $10G's

maserati biturbo - work the turbos over and you have a sedan that's more fun to drive than allowed by law, good luck maintaining and getting parts though

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Is it just me, or doesn't the Opel just look too much like the old Bradley-Volkswagon kit car?

Midwest, you are so right with the "muscle car" thing. But, a less expensive way is to not worry about it being "original" or an "original resto". A very good performance resto of a good muslce car can be had for under $50k USD with modern engine and running gear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.