Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The car already has APR Stage 2+ software, upgrade HPFP(high pressure fuel pump), APR carbinaro Intake, CTS catch can, CTS cat delete, Full CTS exhaust.

Which is perfect for me because this is the stuff that I would've done to it anyway :-D soooo super lucky me :-D

I want to turn it into an OEM+ / Sleeper type car (won't be on bags and won't have flashy rims).

Very nice! Looks like it was an enthusiast's car. Are you going to get an ECU tune?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Tirone?
1,323 Posts
The car already has APR Stage 2+ software, upgrade HPFP(high pressure fuel pump), APR carbinaro Intake, CTS catch can, CTS cat delete, Full CTS exhaust.

Which is perfect for me because this is the stuff that I would've done to it anyway :-D soooo super lucky me :-D

I want to turn it into an OEM+ / Sleeper type car (won't be on bags and won't have flashy rims).
I've always wanted an Audi after seeing one back in college. A couple of years go, I picked up a 2017 Q5 with the 3.0T engine and I've been really happy with it since. Once the warranty is up, I'm planning on going APR stage 1 and this thing will be making 444HP and 370ft/lbs of torque - more than the current generation of S line engines. Planning on keeping this car for a long time.

I didn't think I'd become a VW fanboy, but I picked up a 2018 Golf R earlier this year. I already put an APR stage 1 tune on it and it makes about 370 HP and 380 ft/lbs. The car absolutely rips around the twisties, but is also a great daily driver with more than enough technology and interior comfort. Planning on going APR stage 2 sometime in the future with supporting mods like downpipe and intercooler, but not really planning on doing anything else to the car because I like everything else about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’ve never owned a European car and never been in a position to buy a “dream” car, and with 4 kids probably won’t any time soon.
Guess that’s why bikes are so great. Bang for the buck is nearly impossible to match with a car.
Did have a G35 and Genesis 4.6L which were both fairly good drivers, both had very nice power (but not insane) but they were automatics.

My son just recently bought an ‘08 328i w/6 spd manual.

175k miles, but 2 owner, no wrecks, great service history, clean Carfax.
Including recent water pump, coolant reservoir, thermostat, cooling/heater hoses, drive belt tensioner replacement.
Super clean, inside and out.

He was dead set on one, so I was steering him towards - no turbo, solid service history, and he wanted the manual.

335i (and of course M cars) are probably more fun with the turbo/additional power, but also more expensive to maintain and more issues.
But the NA 3 liter is still peppy.

Got it for $3500, and based on us scouring the market for a few weeks I think he got a pretty good deal, but we’ll see what the future holds for maintenance.
We jumped all over it, because I think it would have gone fast, bought it the day after it got listed.
I can help with basic maintenance and repairs.

Now I’m kind of jealous.
I drive a 4Runner, but his BMW is a a lot of fun to drive.
My first car was a manual and I forgot how much fun they are.

That thing really is a good handling car.
Had a Lexus IS300 also and it handled really nicely, but this is better handling.
There are some corners near my house that I’ll take at 80 on the bike if I’m pushing it.
In my wife’s Avalon will push it to 70 (a 2014 first year they stiffened up the suspension to make it sportier), but that’s the edge of my comfort level maintaining relative safety.
But that Bimmer took them at 80 this evening and wasn’t breaking a sweat.

Attachments

·
Tirone?
1,323 Posts
I’ve never owned a European car and never been in a position to buy a “dream” car, and with 4 kids probably won’t any time soon.
Guess that’s why bikes are so great. Bang for the buck is nearly impossible to match with a car.
Did have a G35 and Genesis 4.6L which were both fairly good drivers, both had very nice power (but not insane) but they were automatics.

My son just recently bought an ‘08 328i w/6 spd manual.

175k miles, but 2 owner, no wrecks, great service history, clean Carfax.
Including recent water pump, coolant reservoir, thermostat, cooling/heater hoses, drive belt tensioner replacement.
Super clean, inside and out.

He was dead set on one, so I was steering him towards - no turbo, solid service history, and he wanted the manual.

335i (and of course M cars) are probably more fun with the turbo/additional power, but also more expensive to maintain and more issues.
But the NA 3 liter is still peppy.

Got it for $3500, and based on us scouring the market for a few weeks I think he got a pretty good deal, but we’ll see what the future holds for maintenance.
We jumped all over it, because I think it would have gone fast, bought it the day after it got listed.
I can help with basic maintenance and repairs.

Now I’m kind of jealous.
I drive a 4Runner, but his BMW is a a lot of fun to drive.
My first car was a manual and I forgot how much fun they are.

That thing really is a good handling car.
Had a Lexus IS300 also and it handled really nicely, but this is better handling.
There are some corners near my house that I’ll take at 80 on the bike if I’m pushing it.
In my wife’s Avalon will push it to 70 (a 2014 first year they stiffened up the suspension to make it sportier), but that’s the edge of my comfort level maintaining relative safety.
But that Bimmer took them at 80 this evening and wasn’t breaking a sweat.
$3500 sounds like a steal. Hope you guys enjoy it.

You can totally find options out there to satisfy both that performance driver's car itch and dad duties at the same time. I'm in the car almost full time now and picking up my kid from daycare every day, but I'm enjoying the heck out of my Golf R with mods. One day I could be schlepping around my daughter, wife, and parents in the car and the next I could be doing twisties at about the same speed I'd be doing it on a motorcycle.

If you want more bang for buck, consider a GTI. Lots of people on the VW groups love them and also mod them for better performance. Put on a bigger turbo, ECU tune, downpipe, and rear sway bar and you'll have a well handling monster of a hot hatch pushing out anywhere from high 300s to 450 HP depending on turbo.

·
Registered
221 Posts
$3500 sounds like a steal. Hope you guys enjoy it.

You can totally find options out there to satisfy both that performance driver's car itch and dad duties at the same time. I'm in the car almost full time now and picking up my kid from daycare every day, but I'm enjoying the heck out of my Golf R with mods. One day I could be schlepping around my daughter, wife, and parents in the car and the next I could be doing twisties at about the same speed I'd be doing it on a motorcycle.

If you want more bang for buck, consider a GTI. Lots of people on the VW groups love them and also mod them for better performance. Put on a bigger turbo, ECU tune, downpipe, and rear sway bar and you'll have a well handling monster of a hot hatch pushing out anywhere from high 300s to 450 HP depending on turbo.

I would love to get something like that, but not in the cards right now.
Maybe when the kids are out of the house and I have more money to throw at a car.
Of course by then I think I’m supposed get a Corvette and wear jean shorts and new balance😉.
Quit my high paying job a few years ago to work for myself.

I’ll have to keep my 4Runner as a daily and motorcycle for fun for now.
Reliability and cost of ownership is great on it. It has the 4.7 L and they are all reliable but that drivetrain is supposed to be one of the best (if not the best) they have ever put in their pickups.
180k miles and all it’s ever had is oil changes, brakes, changed all fluids when I got it at 120k, and did the front wheel hubs/bearings (easy job).
Mine is super clean inside and out and runs perfectly.

For being an SUV with a solid rear axle it handles surprising well (obviously nothing like a performance car) likely due to its excellent AWD system.
It is pretty much impossible to make it lose traction, even in the rain.

I’m hoping the the BMW is a solid car for my son.
The N52 (NA) engine with a manual transmission seems to be a great/reliable drivetrain, but not much you can realistically do to them to produce a lot of power.
This one fit his financial situation better than the N54 and N55 (turbo) engines.
Which are great engines for tuning and lots of power, but at the cost of reliability and additional expense.
You can find E90 335’s in the same price range as the 328’s but need to have more money to throw at them, especially dependent on what your performance goals are.
He seems to really have developed an affinity for BMWs (at least from the internet) so maybe in the future he’ll get one he can mod/tune.

Just ordered one of these that should come in handy during the ownership:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foxwell-NT...1-612c-4525-9d75-93dc20c096c4&epid=2137074207

Gonna change the transmission and rear diff fluid on an upcoming day off.
Coolant was already done recently with the water pump/hose/reservoir service done by the previous owner.

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts