Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask if anyone out there has any experience with vibration on their 919s'. My bike is a 2004 with 15,400 miles. I have not had any trouble, but I have noticed alot of buzz or vibration on the bike lately. The bike performs nicely, but seems to have much more vibration out of the engine. You can see and feel it in the mirrors when sitting in idle. My buddies I ride with tell me they think it is the bike loosening up with age and not to worry about it. I do not hear any unusual noises out of the engine or anything. Thanks, John

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
What you are experiencing is also known as the "Hornet buzz".

All have reported it in various levels of severity. My '03 has it. I've minimized it by running Renthal bars which reduce it to barely noticeable in the hands. Another variable seems to be how loose ya run the chain. Always within the specified range and mind that too loose is better than too tight. That said, I've noticed that 1.375 inches of slack seems to be just right for smooth shifting and minimal buzz through the pegs. Always adviseable to check all bolts at certain intervals and it will probably help reduce it a bit more. Several folks have had the shifter loosen up and a few have had it fall completely off!

Other than that - stay on top of the maintenance and ride the pooh out of it!

Nuff said. :cool2:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Razorbike. I have been real worried about it, but my Brit buddy has been telling me that he had a CB750 that did the same thing. This was my first new bike and I have stayed up on the maintenance. I pay close attention to the bike. Thanks, John

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
John....have you changed any parts lately? Some bikes are real sensitive to harmonics....little changes like bar ends, front fender, tail section etc can upset the harmonics of a bike and cause some weird vibrations. Once had a race bike that would vibrate the pegs so bad it felt like they were ice during a race, you could hardly keep your feet on them. Put a few ounces of lead fishing weights in the hollow pegs....vibration completely gone.
JohnnyB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks JohnnyB and M51142! I have not installed any mods to the bike, completely stock. When I first bought the bike I noticed the natural frequency of the bike was around 4200-4500 rpm. The bike would be real smooth below and or above those rpms in the high gear. I'm sure something has changed. I just hope nothing serious. I'll take a look at the FI in the manual. Thanks alot! John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Razorbike,
I mentioned to my Brit buddy about the Hornet Buzz and he agreed totally. He said that in England he has heard of that issue on the original Hornets. He also told me not to worry about it. I plan to check all the bolts and to check into the FI as m51142 suggested. If I come up with something I will let ya'll know. Thanks alot! John

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
It's not a surprising coincidence that you mention 4200-4500 RPM as being the original range of the worst vibes John. That's exactly where mine did it in stock form, and still does to a lesser degree. When cruising down the highway at a certain speed and the RPMs fall in that range. That is normal and not to worry about unless it is a major distraction. Now if it has gotten dramatically worse then maybe there is a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.