Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

valve adjustment

17K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Scuba920 
#1 ·
I have an 03 919 with 16k, schedule calls for valve adjustment... there is no clatter or any other sign that anything is amiss. how important is this, and any idea as to cost?

#3 ·
Yo Dog-
As the original owner of your 919 I can assure you that the oil was changed at unusually short intervals - that wasn't just BS when you bought it. I've always been kinda OCD about running clean oil in my vehicles. And I can also verify that other than the occasional "outburst" it was never run at consistently high RPMs. That being said, and figuring in past feedback from other 919 owners around here, I'd say you're probably good to go for another 16k. Most folks that had the valves checked at 16k usually report that no adjustment was necessary. From past info I think a valve check/adjustment is about $300+ due to the labor involved just removing/replacing the valve cover.

It's your baby now so obviously the choice is yours. I'm happy it went to a good home!

There's my :2cents:

Dave

#5 ·
When I get that far, I plan on checking mine myself, it can't be too bad, valve cover gasket, and the shim pack is available to members of W.T. I havn't read one post so far where they needed to be adjsted at 16k. If anyone has had to adjust at 16k, please chime in for reference.

#6 · (Edited)
I've seen them go a lot of miles, 40,000+, and still be within "tolerance".

I'd like to suggest you get a really good set of feeler gauges, metric .01 mm increments, and "blueprint" them, making them all within spec with as close to no deviation in gap between like valves.

Mike's XS has a set for $10.00 Mikes XS tool link if you have any problems locally. Shipping one set from Mikes add's $8.50. Best to add a few other items if possible.

Here is more for a well respected site:

919 Valve Adjustment from a respected 919 focused forum

Think about -

Intake: .13mm to .19mm / .005" to .007" (Set them all at a "loose" .15?)
Exhaust: .22mm to .28mm / .009" to .011" (Set them all at .25?)

#8 ·
Basspiece and I got together and did both our bikes at 16K, all in spec on both. Should be doing the 32K check in the next few weeks. I expect them to be fine.

Here's mine opened up at 16K. When I first got the bike I never even imagined I would do it myself, but I had learned all the other maintenance up to that point. An extra set of hands really helped in getting the valve cover back on.

Changed the coolant at the same time since removal of some of the hoses was needed anyway.

#9 ·
yo dave, was just talking about you today, the spotless condition you kept the bike; you are the man. rest assured I am keeping it in the same condition, but definitely riding the wheels off of it. Since taking it off you hands have changed the chain, replaced the rear with a Road 2 and added a Shad top case... I almost feel guilty for you being bikeless, but I'm sure that you will come up with something to blow my socks off... see ya out there.

#10 ·
yo dave, I almost feel guilty for you being bikeless, but I'm sure that you will come up with something to blow my socks off... see ya out there.
Nah - don't feel bad dude. I made the decision to sell it. Been unemployed for going on 6 mos. now and the 919 was at the top of the "things to sell" list. And, as you saw when you were at my house, I've got other hobbies to keep me occupied. Got a couple of prospects in the works now so when things get better $-wise I'll probably end up getting another bike. Next time it will most likely be a cruiser - definitely a Honda. Maybe a VTX but I always liked the Shadow Spirit 1100 which they discontinued. We'll see. In the meantime I'll keep hanging around here and enjoy seeing updates on how you and the 919 are doing. You should post a couple of action pics of yourself here or on your website!

Later,
Dave

#12 ·
This is one of those threads that just happened to come along at the right time for me...

I've been noticing a little bit of excess clatter lately on my '02 & I've been thinking about whether I want to tear into it myself with the trusty ol' factory service manual or pay a local shop to do it. I like to tinker, & have tore my CR250 completely down to the frame, so I'm fairly comfortable doing it myself, but still a little intimidated. I don't really abuse my bike, change the oil at about 3k-4k intervals, and I believe I've got about 23k miles on the odometer ( I use my trip as a fuel gauge, so I rarely check the actual mileage).

MarylandMike, I appreciate the pic!
• Does the frame give you adequate clearance to do the job? You mentioned an extra set of hands really helped to get the valve cover back on, so the frame comes to mind - I was just wondering if that was cause for concern or if it was something else.
• Also, did you just use a factory service manual or did you just wing it ?
Curious as to how much previous knowledge/experience you had before diving in so I can decide if I want to do it myself or not.

#13 ·
MarylandMike, I appreciate the pic!
• Does the frame give you adequate clearance to do the job? You mentioned an extra set of hands really helped to get the valve cover back on, so the frame comes to mind - I was just wondering if that was cause for concern or if it was something else.
• Also, did you just use a factory service manual or did you just wing it ?
Curious as to how much previous knowledge/experience you had before diving in so I can decide if I want to do it myself or not.
The frame actually has plenty of clearance. You do need to remove the coils and tie them back out of the way and remove the section of coolant hose on the right side. The comment on the extra hands getting the valve cover back on really has to do with keeping the gasket in place and putting some sealant on the half moons on each side of the valve cover as you set it down.

I used the factory service manual and it was pretty good instruction. I had pretty much no experience before doing it other than I read the procedure in the service manual several times and convinced myself it wouldn't be that hard. With the two of us we did both bikes in just a few hours.

There are also a couple of really good threads on here with pictures. One was by Sokali and maybe one by Nesty.

Good luck :thumbup1:

#14 ·
It was touring919 that had put 77k miles on his 9er without doing the valves. He sheck them and had all but 2 in spec. I did mine at 85K kms and found the same. Just 2 had to be adjusted. I am now at close to 150k kms and thinking of doing mine again this coming winter. Honda sure made a good running engine on this bike.

#16 ·
I made this yesterday out of boredom. Feel free to download it & print it off.

Here's a version where it's filled in with black. Use whichever one works best for you.

To ensure these are the correct size, measure the box around the outside - it should be 3 inches wide and 2 inches tall. (or if you have a metric ruler, just measure out the different areas specified in the drawing).

I'll be posting this in a few other threads that come up in a search for "Valve Maintenance" or "Valve Clearance"

:cheers:

#17 ·
Yea. I never adjusted mine but I checked them relativly often. At about 14k, 30k, 45k and then I quit because they were always right on. 77 I checked out of curiosity. That said, a friends bike at 16k on it and we changed the shims of 4 valves I think. Maybe one was out of spec, maybe all four were just on the tight side, I don't remember. Either way we figured its 1/2 way there may as well pull the cams and make them all perfect.

Checking them is easy. I recomend checking them yourself. If you find one out then you can worry about removing the cams, or taking it to the dealer. Untill you make it to that point there is no reason to pay someone 300 bucks just to pull the tank and valve cover. (removing the radiator makes life much more simple too)

#18 ·
Did my 32K valve clearances checks today. #2 & #3 Intake were just out of spec at .008". All others were fine. I started to let it go, but went ahead and re-shimmed them. Only had to remove one camshaft. Replaced the plugs with new NGK iridiums and replaced the coolant.

Much to my relief, she fired right up when I was done. :sweatdrop:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.