Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this seemed like an appropriate place to declare a few things. First, I really want a BMW F800GS as well as a Husky SM610. Whew. With that off my chest, I will be starting with just one of the two, and the SM610 seems like a fun place to start.

I wanted to find out if anyone knows if there is a difference b/w the 2008 and 2009 SM610. I am starting the price shopping game also, and if anyone knows a screaming deal out there please let me know!

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
If you want pictures or any specific impression of the 610, let me know.
I have ridden one and have access to it at anytime I want it.
I think it is fun in many regards and lacking in tons of others.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love pictures and your impression, and please don't hold back. I know it's not the most practical choice in the world, but it has caught my eye in a big way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was watching that same bike on Supermotojunkie.com. Price seemed where I'd like to spend. I wasn't sure how people were doing on new bike purchase price, as I've found a few leftover '08's across the US. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Didnt the Husky's have a broblem with making view holes in the cases ? You know , when the rod decides to let some fresh air in the cases -

·
President of FOG
93 Posts
Micheal asked me to post up here since mine is his backup Motard. I picked up my 08 610 last sept from a dealer in Tennesee for $6300 otd plus $225 to have it shipped here. I had it shipped here and Mike went with me on its maiden ride. 08 and 09 are FI and with alittle work (pipe, 02 bypass and smog pulled), it uncorks and runs great. I have not heard of many problems with the bike other than the speedo glitching out every now and then.

Overall the bike totally rocks for intown and shorter out of town jaunts. I've ridden it up to 5hrs in the twisties and thats about the border for me riding it with the stock seat.

Its powerful enough to get into some serious trouble but not so crazy as to be in triple digits in 2.35 seconds like most superbikes.

I moved from 2 RC51s and a CBR1100XX as previous platforms and this is a very, very nice change. It offroads with alittle finesse, just fine. Urban play is where the bike excells imho. Jumps, wheelies, stoppies and corners are nothing on this thing. I find myself grinning ear to ear every time I ride it. The main problem is not getting cought by the popo and maintaining myself while riding in town.

·
President of FOG
93 Posts
Here's my baby. I've chopped the tail off since this pic and it looks alot better now.

Can't do this on a superbike!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton for the write-up and pictures! You've definitely helped cement the idea for me. My biggest hurdle now is finding the bike with the best deal. I'd be willing to ship, but it's so nice to get to look at your bike before the purchase. Speaking with a local dealer, he somehow managed to make an 8,500 sticker turn into about 9,500 after fees, taxes, setup, blah blah. I feel like especially with the economy as it is, I should be able to get one for no more than 7k out the door. Thanks again, I'll be sure to post some pictures when I find the one!

·
President of FOG
93 Posts

·
President of FOG
93 Posts
No problem Micheal, glad to help.

My biggest hurdle now is finding the bike with the best deal. I'd be willing to ship, but it's so nice to get to look at your bike before the purchase.
No need to look at one if your buying new, I mean yes its nice but not neccessary. Look at cycle trader online and throw some feelers out there in the for sale sections of forums.

Once you find a bike, contact the dealer and set up the deal. Send him you $$ and post a transport bid on Uship.com. Let the transport companies bid on the shipment and vuala you have a new bike show up in your driveway a few days later.:riding:

·
orange
9,193 Posts
Looks like fun, good luck finding what you want!

And +1 on the F800GS, someday I will have one as well. They just need to be on the market a few years before I can find a used one for a decent price.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I've never purchased something so major without it being local, so the process is a little intimidating. The only reason I'm looking new is because of some of the deals out there on leftover '08's.

sbeau, I have to say I think I found someone on this forum that has the same taste in bikes. Great looking bike you just picked up!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Micheal asked me to post up here since mine is his backup Motard. I picked up my 08 610 last sept from a dealer in Tennesee for $6300 otd plus $225 to have it shipped here. I had it shipped here and Mike went with me on its maiden ride. 08 and 09 are FI and with alittle work (pipe, 02 bypass and smog pulled), it uncorks and runs great. I have not heard of many problems with the bike other than the speedo glitching out every now and then.

Overall the bike totally rocks for intown and shorter out of town jaunts. I've ridden it up to 5hrs in the twisties and thats about the border for me riding it with the stock seat.

Its powerful enough to get into some serious trouble but not so crazy as to be in triple digits in 2.35 seconds like most superbikes.

I moved from 2 RC51s and a CBR1100XX as previous platforms and this is a very, very nice change. It offroads with alittle finesse, just fine. Urban play is where the bike excells imho. Jumps, wheelies, stoppies and corners are nothing on this thing. I find myself grinning ear to ear every time I ride it. The main problem is not getting cought by the popo and maintaining myself while riding in town.
WTF?! First, sorry to hear that you know Michael. But, when did the riff raff from the XX site make its way over here? Byrdman and now you?:no:

·
President of FOG
93 Posts
Neighborhoods going downhill fast, huh!:laughing6-hehe:

I was telling Mike last night that there are alot of familiar names on the forum.:hello:

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
k.... so I now have the husky in my garage (but I am not feeling too well).
I stuck it out after the thunderstorms we just had...

Quick impressions from the non-owner...
- Stupid Light
- Immediate torque, but runs out of RPMs quick
- Hard to resist low speed wheelies. Around town riding is begging for a ticket.
- Stoppies are easy
- handles great around sharp corners.

At speed... The most fun time on the bike is changing direction. Things that are tight on a regular street bike are not tight on this. So... Better be ready to be bored if the roads are straight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
k.... so I now have the husky in my garage (but I am not feeling too well).
I stuck it out after the thunderstorms we just had...

Quick impressions from the non-owner...
- Stupid Light
- Immediate torque, but runs out of RPMs quick
- Hard to resist low speed wheelies. Around town riding is begging for a ticket.
- Stoppies are easy
- handles great around sharp corners.

At speed... The most fun time on the bike is changing direction. Things that are tight on a regular street bike are not tight on this. So... Better be ready to be bored if the roads are straight.
Thanks for a slightly different perspective. Still really looking at this bike as my one bike for a while, so I hope it does the trick. Almost all of my riding is shorter trips around town, or some slightly longer trips through some windy roads. Not much of my riding so far has been interstate miles and I don't really have any trips like that planned.

I also wanted to find out if it sounds like a deal to get a new '09 for $7500 OTD. The MSRP is $8499, then they pull the setup costs and all that BS. Silly dealers...

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
OK.... So I took the 610 to dinner tonight. Maybe 10 miles total trip.

# of stupid boneheaded things that can be done on a bike = 3ish.

Things I learned better about the bike today over yesterdays short trip... The bike is very very happy to engine brake. The rear will go into a slide quickly and happily. After playing with that a little, I am now comfortable with setting the rear out a little before committing to a corner. But it is just for style points. I also learned for most turns, you do not need to slow down at all.

Is the bike fun? Yes.
Is it stupid? Yes.

Depending on the intended purpose, this bike could be great or horrible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts