Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I'm rethinking my Morimoto Sealed7 and am now thinking I'd want to go with the JW Speaker adaptive. But if I do that, do I also need the JW Speaker mounting ring if I've already got the CB500 (or whatever it is) mounting ring kit from 4into1 that's been linked here quite often? My understanding is that I don't need the JW Speaker item, but just want to confirm here with the pros;

Also, I've just received my RAM cell mount with wireless charger. It's a great unit for my uses but it also has a fair bit of bulky wiring pieces (fuse, surge protector, USB connector, etc.) that I'd like to keep under the seat as much as possible. The unit does come with a switch, but still, I'd like to use a switched power source for the +12V. My understanding is that any existing ground wire could be tapped for the charger's ground wire (or even attached to any bolt touching metal using a ring terminal if needed), but can anybody suggest a switched power source under the seat that I could tap into?

Cheers!

·
Tirone?
1,323 Posts
Th safest way to add the phone charging line that switches on with power is to use a 12V relay instead of the provided manual switch. From there, connect everything as you would with the original provided wiring including fuse to the battery, and then tap into the license plate light to switch on the relay when the bike powers on. All electrical connectors for the lights in back are tucked into the frame under the tail.

In general, I would avoid adding load onto an existing line unless I was sure the lines are able to handle it and it has the right fuse. That includes grounding to an existing ground wire, but grounding to the frame is fine. The cell phone charger shouldn't draw too much power, but best practice is to give it a dedicated line.

Not sure on the headlight ring, but Im guessing the mounting tabs are standardized so I'm assuming the cb500 ring should work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, hadn't thought of a relay. You're right, best solution for sure, thanks for that. So that'd be a normally open relay, correct?

With regards to grounding lines - got it, shouldn't be too much of an issue to wire up one or two extra lines under the seat.

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
I’ll go as far to say if the JW speaker is made to fit a Jeep then you’ll only need the CB500 headlight ring assembly since it’s also designed to take a Jeep headlight.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll go as far to say if the JW speaker is made to fit a Jeep then you’ll only need the CB500 headlight ring assembly since it’s also designed to take a Jeep headlight.
Yeah, my thinking exactly. Worst case, I can get just the ring from an American shop, won't be nearly as bad in shipping and taxes as the whole light would have been.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW - Just an update on this. Today, I did the necessary modifications to the 919 bucket to accept the CB500 mounting ring set, and attempted to mount my JW Speaker. No go. Seems like the JW Speaker has a bigger back portion (likely to account for the increased part count with the lean sensor and all that) so that the CB500 mounting ring couldn't 'close' with the front chrome portion. So if you guys want to use the JW Speaker, you'll also need their mounting ring - on the Adaptive 2, anyhow.

So - good thing I also had my Morimoto!! I installed that today and went on a night ride. I understand what people are saying about this being a car light and all, but MAN - what a great spread of light!!! Yes, one loses a bit of foreground lighting but in my view, that's not really THAT important - obstacles should have been caught way before that. (And to be clear, there of course is still light there - just less than in the heart of the beam.)

I'll upload pics later, but I'm really pleased so far. I'll order the JW Speaker mounting solution and compare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts