Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a train air horn on my Ram.

Holy crap does that sucker blow... just like some Canadian I know.

air compressor with tanks, 4 horn system. Ear peircing. Everytime i see someone minding their own business walking down the street or in a car next to me on their cell phone... heh heh

I take some pics.

Check out this link for some hilarious videos...
the first 5 on the left http://www.hornblasters.com/vide.php

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Moto,
Where'd ya get your set up? My brother is looking into putting a train horn on his Western Star for all the dumbasses that pull in front of him & slam the brakes. He punt'd a car 3 weeks ago... slight bend in his bumper, car's trunk was missing. :D

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Probably not...but it sure is funny!

I had a buddy who hooked his horn up to play Dixie, but he screwed the wiring and it played all the notes at the same time. We always got a kick out of that. It sounded like a small train.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
According to the National Rail Authority
· The minimum sound level of the locomotive horn is 96 dBA 100 feet in front of the train in its direction of travel.
· The new maximum is 110 dBA at 100 feet in front of the train in its direction of travel.

However; many independant studies (people who are pissed off and have dBA meters) have shown locomotive horns measuring as high as 140+ dBA

The Noise Abatement Society published the below dBA level comparison:
140 Train horn
130 Threshold of pain
100 Pneumatic drill at 5 metres
90 Heavy goods vehicles from pavement
70 Vacuum cleaner at three metres
40 Refrigerator humming at two metres
0 Threshold of hearing

While I'm positive that such horns are definite attention grabbers, I'm concerned that the initial response of the blastee might be immediate overreaction and spontaneously change lanes or panic brake.
For general purposes I'd personally recommend using the stock horn out of fear that the person being blasted would absolutely freak out and be scared shytless, thereby becoming a greater danger.

Great fun though when used in the right place at the right time for entertainment only.

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
And you wonder why we are called *******!

That guy didn't really honk that cop now did he? Had to be a friend of his.
JohnnyB

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,705 Posts
While I'm positive that such horns are definite attention grabbers, I'm concerned that the initial response of the blastee might be immediate overreaction and spontaneously change lanes or panic brake.
For general purposes I'd personally recommend using the stock horn out of fear that the person being blasted would absolutely freak out and be scared shytless, thereby becoming a greater danger.

Now that Jet has posted the sight disclaimer, I think that was one of the funniest 'shorts' I've seen in plenty of time. The whole bar collectively dropped a humongous load!:D

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Does anybody else find it amusing that the National Rail Authority shares initials with the National Rifle Association?

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,705 Posts
Bock919 said:
Does anybody else find it amusing that the National Rail Authority shares initials with the National Rifle Association?
Ammusing? No. Interesting....ya.

National Rail Association

National Rifle Association

National Recovery Act (WPA of the US Depression Era)

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
H Ryder, I got it from that website. 150db roughly. It is ear peircing loud.

Jet, you are right. It is the kind of thing that you have to honk in the right place... like when someone is riding a bicycle down the sidewalk and you watch them crash into the bushes... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts