Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now... I have a couple of questions. I am about to replace the rear tire, the front still has a good amount of miles to go. They were both Pirelli Corsa, not the Super Corsa. I am pretty much a Pirelli guy - call it stupid if you will.

Anyway, I was out shopping for tires and came across the newer Pirelli Corsa tire which has a 190 profile on it now. Just looking at the tire tells me it will be quite different to the 180 I wore out, and will corner so much better as it will lay down a larger contact patch. I am wondering about straight line stability though - not that it should matter in the canyons.

Does anyone know much about these tires? Any experiences with them? And is $150 installed too much to pay? I already took the rear wheel off myself. By the way, shouldn't the rear axle bolt have a cotter pin on it?

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Somebody say something... If I high side because no one gave me advice, I will set Moto on all of you... humph!

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
I run Pirelli Dragon Slicks on my race bike. The 190 slick is the same dimensional size as the street bike. Never had an issue with high speed straight line stability.

That is on a 1/2 mile front straight at Spokane Raceway in WA

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response Evad.

Interesting you mention the similarity in profile. I looked at the 180 Dragon Corsa compared to the 190 I am about to buy, and I gotta tell ya - it looked taller and more conical giving the impression that it would make the bike more manueverable and possibly twitchy.

I do have to take into consideration that the Corsa on the bike is 3 years old, and I seem to remember that Pirelli has updated their tires since then. ;)

I am hoping that with a slightly higher sidewall, I will have a larger contact patch when I lean, which should mean better traction - ergo (I love saying that), better control, better feedback, steeper or quicker lean and turns, etc. And of course no more sliding. However, being a 190 tire, I am concerned that it will make the bike very twitchy as I have the front already lowered and the rear shock extended about 5 mm or so.

What a dilemma... :eek:

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SportyChick said:
http://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174

I started something about this already, there might be some useful information there for you.

And $150 installed? So they're just putting the tire on the rim?? If so, that's a lot of damn money and I assume you're talking US dollars too! One of the bike shops here will do it for $50 CDN!

Yep... $150 Installed only on the rim, I have to put it back on the bike. They would have done it on the bike, but I did not want to ride it there.

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting facts in that thread Sporty. I will go check the new 190 out to see if it is a 55 or 50 profile. The one I was looking certainly looked more pointy that my 180 Corsa. Then again, it was not mounted yet, so who knows right.

I think my concern is primarily around cornering. I have a pretty stiff steering damper so, that should keep the pig straight and steady in the straights. Since I primarily ride canyons and tracks, I think I can live with a little twitchiness. I just don't want a wiggly, hi-siding monster on my hands... :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts