Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 14.8%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I just bought a 2001 Ducati 748. I wanted to poll everyone on what kind of rubber you use and would recommend using with this bike. I plan on using the bike mostly to ride around town, go to work, and weekend rides with JB and crew from time to time. It will see occasional track time as well, 2-3 times a year at most.

I bought a new set of Michelin Pilots (that were highly recommended), and the bike came with Pirelli Diablos. I know that JB rode with Metzeler Rennsports at the track and around town, and a friend of mine recommended the Dunlop D208 ZR.

All opinions and other tire suggestions are welcome as well.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
I can't really recommend anything personally right now. My 600RR came with the Pilot Sports and though they were pretty good, I've heard the Pilot Powers are much better. In about 4 months when the snow is all gone I'll be able to tell you what I think of the Dunlop Qualifiers as that is what I'll be sporting this coming season.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
When I had the Ducati 748, I used Pirelli and the last set I had on were Pirelli Super Corsas. I was pretty happy with them, not sure how long they would last on the street for as they were racing compound.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I know that tires come down to what the rider feels comfortable with, but since I really don't have a good reference point yet this will at least help out some. I'm sure I will learn more in the coming months especially after doing the track day in March. I guess I have an advantage with JB around. He can tell me what to look for handling wise.

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
Of all the tires I've had, the Pirelli Diablo Corsa was the best DOT tire I've had on my street bike. (2001 R6). You won't get a ton of wear, but they're a great tire. Very sticky, very consistent.

Stay away from the Dunlops. I've got a set on my bike now, and they are the worst tire I've run in a long time. Not very consistent, and not all that sticky either.

I've got a set of Metzelers on my backup street bike, (1991 FZR600), and they seem all right for a street tire, but the one set I ran on the track I was not impressed with.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
clos79 said:
Thanks for the info everyone. I know that tires come down to what the rider feels comfortable with, but since I really don't have a good reference point yet this will at least help out some. I'm sure I will learn more in the coming months especially after doing the track day in March. I guess I have an advantage with JB around. He can tell me what to look for handling wise.
Not to come across demeaning because that's just not in my nature :rolleyes: but at this point in your skill development the Pilots we have on order will be perfect. Some of the things that will someday play into your tire decision include:
- carcass heat cycle affects
- compound stick or slide characteristics
- tire profile, triangular or rounded.
- life expectancy
- wet channeling

but for now you just need to lose the rock hard aged tires on the bike. When you're turning faster than 1:30 at Jennings we can really delve into which tires stick or slide predictably and what profile feels better to you.

Personally I think Rennsports are the perfect tire if money doesn't stand in the way and you never ride in the rain. At Jennings the RC51 would destroy a set of Rennsports in two days. The 600RR would last about 4 days if babied.

G

·
I've been impressed with how well my set of Pilot Powers have done in the cold. Much better then my old 208s. Will have to see how well they do in the heat this summer.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
JohnC said:
Stay away from the Dunlops. I've got a set on my bike now, and they are the worst tire I've run in a long time. Not very consistent, and not all that sticky either.
What type of Dunlops? I've used 208GP's on my track bike and they were fine, I didn't see much difference from the 208GP's and the Pirelli Super Dragon's when I switched. Although I do find the Pirelli's have a better profile then the Dunlop's which helps in corners.

Now if you're talking 207's, then yeah totally agree, those are CRAP!

·
Registered
858 Posts
SportyChick said:
What type of Dunlops? I've used 208GP's on my track bike and they were fine, I didn't see much difference from the 208GP's and the Pirelli Super Dragon's when I switched. Although I do find the Pirelli's have a better profile then the Dunlop's which helps in corners.

Now if you're talking 207's, then yeah totally agree, those are CRAP!
Plus if they are old, heat cycled to hell, or you're running the pressures too LOW they will get greasy. I've ran 208ZR's on my bike for the last 3 sets (as well as my last track day) and they work great. I'm getting the new Qualifiers Dunlop just came out with for my next set. I love the tire profile of the ZR's and the Q's are very similar but with better traction. If you want tire life AND traction for the twisties then the 208ZR's are going to be hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I agree... I'm on my 2nd set of 208zr's & am quite happy w/ 'em. First ride last spring I was hittin' corners w/ less than a 100 miles on 'em. My only complaint is last ride of year, on a cool day (60's) the rear let loose a couple times. But that's w/ 5k+ miles on 'em & cold pavement.

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
Pilots with a comment that they are last year's flavor and Dunlop is supposed to have something up their sleeve. They are amazing in the cold/wet here. Just don't ask anyone about Psi except the local Michelin rep at the track. You'll get so many different answers you'll hide under the bed. Mine are on a RC.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I love my 208ZRs. The mileage is mediocre, especially during the summer months, but they grip like a dog humping a stuffed animal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've run pretty much everything on the list aside from the Diablos that are on the bike I just bought. The only thing I can really comment on is that I didn't like the Dunlop's wear. I will probably try Bridgestone's newest next as long as I'm not blown away by the diablos.

G

·
I run the Corsa Dragon's on my 996S. Once they warm up, they provide awesome grip. Just let 'em warm up ;) esp. with the torqy 748.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts