Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
So, Satan's our mascot?
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But everything else, generally. I normally rock sunglasses with a clear visor, but after getting a new pair, I figured I would treat them slightly better and get a tinted visor instead. My question: Dark smoke or light smoke...or other for the sun? Still in AZ, so the sun and I are well acquainted. I'll take my answer off air. Cheers!

·
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
6,883 Posts

·
`
3,862 Posts
dark smoke, light is too light. I also have a silver and blue and they are a little better once it gets dark. I wouldn't recommend to ride in any of the above after dark. Once I got stuck 2 hrs away after dark with tinted visor and no glasses. Long story short I always put clear visor in the tank bag if I ride in PM

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I usually have the dark smoke on my Arai and a pair of clear safety glasses in the tankbag just incase I get caught after sundown without my clear shield.

593 Posts
I use the light smoke. I like because it isn't too dark if it gets unexpectedly overcast.

If you never have to worry about cloudy weather or beinbg caught out after dark, dark smoke is probably great.

Of course, I'm one of those people who get really annoyed by people who wear sunglasses indoors or at night.

·
Sixty-9er
663 Posts
I have a shoei and I find the dark smoke to be a little lighter than other helmets I've had. Go dark. I wish mine was dark at time when riding west at say 6pm

·
So, Satan's our mascot?
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice, sounds like the consensus is dark, thank you, gents!

·
Part-time Hooligan
12 Posts
I also have a Shoei and I agree the Dark is the way to go for sunny riding. I had to were sunglasses with the light smoke if it was a bright day. Plus, if I'm being honest, the dark just looks cooler. :tongue_smilie:

·
The 919 project continues
2,427 Posts
I've always used the dark smoke shields. If you're riding after dark in areas where there's street lights you'll be fine, if you're in the middle of nowhere and only have the headlight, the dark smoke is a bit too dark.

·
Registered
833 Posts
No one thinks those helmets with a clear shield and a 2nd dark inner visor is a good idea? Curious why they haven't caught on...
My first helmet (and still around for a spare) was a Caberg with a dark inner visor that flipped down. Loved that, but the helmet itself was the noisiest thing ever. Don't think it was because of the visor feature, though. Wish some of the higher end helmet manufacturers would wake up and start to include it on their helmets. Lord knows what they would charge for it!

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
My first helmet (and still around for a spare) was a Caberg with a dark inner visor that flipped down. Loved that, but the helmet itself was the noisiest thing ever. Don't think it was because of the visor feature, though. Wish some of the higher end helmet manufacturers would wake up and start to include it on their helmets. Lord knows what they would charge for it!
some already are.. i cant remember the name but i know it was based in italy and started with an n, started out at around $465. but man i wanted it so bad, was a great non-lookin alien helmet with the flip down feature, fit just right for my egg shaped head... :drool::drool::drool:

but at $465 and being a college student... couldnt swing it :sad:

·
Mud Dauber
68 Posts
Yes, what he said. I too have a Shoei and I sport the dark shield. I ride from out in the middle of nowhere to a 6 lane city street day and night and have never had a visibility problem. Here's a tip. Turn your Computer screen down on Contrast and brightness. You will find a marked improvement in overall site and vision after looking at it all shift. I recently bought an iridium gold visor to test out this season. I love it, great in the fog and dark. I is also slightly lighter than my Dark tinted one but blocks more glare, very cool, a bit on the spencie side but I say worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I should have included this in my earlier post, but so it goes...

I have a light smoke tinted silvered visor, but I rarely use it. It's nice for bright sunny days, and cuts the glare and yes I still wear my dark tinted oakleys under it. I don't like to be caught out after dark with it though...I feel like it limits my visibility after the sun goes down. I get lots more use from my clear visor...and I switch to my clear oakleys after dark too.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
I have a Nolan that has the drop down visor, I love it, it seems the Nolans aren't very popular. I plan to add the N-comm speakers and mic soon for music and cell phone calls.

·
road to success .. where?
51 Posts
I picked up an "HJC IS-max" last fall and love it. Its a modular with an internal visor. The extra material for the second visor adds a little weight but having instant shade is worth it.

·
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)
6,883 Posts
I can't remember the manufacture of a helmet I saw last year at a local shop. The design had a standard clear visor and a inner dark smoke shield that slide down like a fighter-pilot helmet. Looked like a great function, don't know how it'd hold up against fog though...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts