Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I saw a bike very similar to yours on the east bound side of I-64 in Louisville yesterday. What a coincidence, huh? Your Nighthawk is a good looking old bike. I've gotten to really appreciate old bikes that have been well cared for.

I got passed by a 919 yesterday. It was an 02 model. I see that one every once in a while. It still had the original stock mufflers. I'll bet not many original mufflers survived.

I never really did warm up to what Honda called a Neo Sport Cafe. If you have to invent a complicated name for the catagory of a motorcycle you just put out, That means its just a little weird. Basically all Honda would have to do is Slap different body work on the old CB1000R, and call it a day.

And Honda, if you're listening, don't put the coin on the tank. It doesn't belong.

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
I got passed by a 919 yesterday. It was an 02 model. I see that one every once in a while. It still had the original stock mufflers. I'll bet not many original mufflers survived.

That may be a regional thing. The local 919 population around here is mostly stock exhausts or or painted/coated/wrapped stock exhausts, in something like a 3:1 ratio.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wait until you sit on one. I was almost ready to go for the 1000r neo sports then when I put my leg over it I thought no way. These bikes are tiny I'm telling you.

I'm fine with the size of the 1000R, I'd get one except the insurance bill is ridiculous. Honda put the R suffix on it so as a result it gets hit with the literbike-tax-because-people-wrap-R-bikes-around-trees-like-it-is-going-out-of-style insurance rate bat. Multiple times.
I’ve sat on one and I didn’t seem to think it felt any smaller than many other bikes in the naked category (Super Duke, Monster, MT10).
Weight seems to be in line with the others also.
It did feel like the riding position was tad more aggressive though, lower handlebars and higher foot pegs, which may make it feel tighter.

Did you run insurance quotes through several companies?
When I was in the market for a new bike a few years back I was looking at a Super Duke, Monster 1200, and CB1000R.
The SDR and Monster were both right at $750/yr for me for full coverage though Geico.
But the CB was $1200, really shocked me because it was the most “conservative” bike of the 3.
Then ran it through Progressive and the CB was in the $700 range and the other 2 were over $1000.
Seems that different companies rate bikes differently.

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
I’ve sat on one and I didn’t seem to think it felt any smaller than many other bikes in the naked category (Super Duke, Monster, MT10).
Weight seems to be in line with the others also.
It did feel like the riding position was tad more aggressive though, lower handlebars and higher foot pegs, which may make it feel tighter.

Did you run insurance quotes through several companies?
When I was in the market for a new bike a few years back I was looking at a Super Duke, Monster 1200, and CB1000R.
The SDR and Monster were both right at $750/yr for me for full coverage though Geico.
But the CB was $1200, really shocked me because it was the most “conservative” bike of the 3.
Then ran it through Progressive and the CB was in the $700 range and the other 2 were over $1000.
Seems that different companies rate bikes differently.

Correct, different companies have different actuaries and therefore different rates. When it came out, I was getting quotes of $2000-4000 for full coverage. Even today they're still high; the dealer I deal with has made similar observations recently and cited that as a reason they're having problems selling them at times.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Correct, different companies have different actuaries and therefore different rates. When it came out, I was getting quotes of $2000-4000 for full coverage. Even today they're still high; the dealer I deal with has made similar observations recently and cited that as a reason they're having problems selling them at times.
Wow, $4000 is nuts.
If the bike didn’t have a lien, at that rate it would probably make more sense to just carry liability and self-insure/risk it.

I’m 42 with a fairly clean driving record, and of course rates vary by state also, so may that be some of the difference.

I have Geico for my cars and when I got the CB quote vs the other two I was going to take it off the short list until I got the Progressive quote.

I currently have an MT10, Geico was like $1400 for it, but Progressive was $700 so of course went with them.
I got a liability quote just to see what it looked like and it was $200/yr.
My 919 was around $150/yr for liability.

I’m guessing there are more people on MT10’s and SDR’s hooning it up than on CB1000R’s.
But they’re the ones making billions, so they must have their reasons.
Just seems so odd that when comparing two bikes (everything else being equal), one company would classify one of them as much riskier and another would basically flip the risk assessment exactly opposite.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts