Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure when it went out because I rarely ride after dark but I noticed it this evening, and think it might be possibly due to me accidently pulling out a plug(?).

Had my backpack/tankbag straps hooked just loosely somewhere around the steering stem without a lot of slack in them. I'm not exactly sure where they were hooked. I went to go ride it a few days ago, forgot about the front straps and went to straighten the wheel, and after some resistance (the strap caught), it popped loose.

Any chance I pulled out a wire that sends power to just the tacho light? The idiot lights and turn signal indicators still work, as does the speedo backlight. No loose wire ends that I can see just poking around back there.

·
Old, Bold rider
2002 Honda 919, 1976 Yamaha XT500 cafe, TC-JAG TZ250
2,480 Posts
The last time I had one of those #194 bulbs go out and in trying to get a replacement found they were very pricey: three bucks for a bulb that looked like it would cost 30 cents. Forget it! Considering the difficulty in getting at the bulb to replace it, I decided it would be a good thing to use a light source that would not need replacement ... ever! That's right: LED's. Went to Auto Zone and they wanted ~$20+ for one. Checking Amazon I found these Here (amongst a lot of others). At $15.69 for ten you could replace every bulb in the instrument cluster with spares left over for, say, the license plate light. It's worth checking out.

An alternative if you are proficient with splicing wires is Here. At $4.49 for 50(!) you would have a practically inexhaustible supply. I even have one wired to a switch under the seat, connected to constant power, and enough cord to reach anywhere on the bike stored under the seat. Has come in handy several times.

Rob

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K, got a mini-project this weekend it seems. LED's it is! Hope it's not something more but I suppose I'll find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts