Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn to vent:

Every Sunday commute I see crap from other riders that are, quite honestly, STUPID! Is this the same everywhere or just in this hell that I live in?

Common Harley/Custom Bike Observations:

1) No Lids (rider or passenger)
2) T-shirts/Jeans (no leather)
3) Wife/Girlfriend hanging off rear
4) Not using turnsignals
5) Not checking over shoulder prior to lane change.
6) ZERO Riding Skill :2guns:

How do these people survive? Sundays in Tucson are easily 2 to 1 Snowbird vs. local driver.

O.K. I feel better. Thanks Guys! :blink:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Same ol' crap in IL. We don't even have snowbirds to contend with, just people who evidently forgot how to ride because they haven't ridden their $15k bike for 6 months. Honestly, how can you expect to be a good rider if you only put 1,000 miles on it in a whole year (and I'm probably being generous)? On top of that, we get the saturday night college kids riding lidless down the same three streets all night. I feel ya man, believe me, I feel ya.

·
Love Machine
366 Posts
For one where do you live? Here in northern Indiana, it's the same thing. No helmets and ussually the wife is not wearing much. Sometimes that's good and somtimes it's bad, especially when they weigh 300 pounds...:D
I have a buddy who has a harley, his parents never weat helmets so it was assumed he never would either. And he doesn't. I asked him why one day all all he said was "If I get into and accident, I'll probably die anyway" What do you say to that type of ignorace. I just said, O....K...But thinking what a fricking Idiot.....

I can say that I do wear jeans a lot when I ride. My standard gear is Helmet, Joe rocket leather jacket, leather gloves, jeans and boots(like leather hiking/workboots). I know leather pants and riding boots are safer, but i don't have them yet.

I wish every state would mandate wearing a helmet. Maybe that would help out insurance cost.....

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
I notice it even when I'm out on four wheels. Just a whole lot of people freakin day dreaming....or maybe old people that drive once a week. Noticably more dangerous...I'd like to see the accident stats on Suns based on number of people driving...got to be worse than other days of the week.
JohnnyB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a neuropsychologist who specializes in assessing the effects of brain damage on people's minds and abilities to work. etc., all I can say is that people too stupid to wear a good quality helmet when they ride will probably keep me in business for a long time. Up here in Canada every province has compulsory helmet laws. If business ever slows down (slim chance, I would say) I might have to move to a more "target rich" environment like Florida!

All kidding aside, I would second the opinion of awarble regarding the wish that every state had compulsory helmet laws. I realize it can be rather hot wearing a lid in mid-summer, but if the riders who jump on their bikes without protection could see what someone with brain damage lives like after even a relatively slow speed impact on the head I think they might give more consideration to strapping one on, even for that quick trip down the block to the 7Eleven.

Life without a whole brain inside is not a pretty sight!

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
In all honesty, We have a "No helmet law" here in Florida but at least in Miami, helmet sales did not drop one bit when it was announced... that is not to say that the majority of the cruiser/harley riders wear one because they usually don't or just wear those little ones that you and I know it will not help at all but they sure make you look good though ;). Most squids are smarter than that and they were nothing but their hair :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
I saw tons of bikes on I-4 yesterday while I was hanging out in Orlando..I have to say many of the sportbikers were not wearing ANY gear and doing lane splitting. In fact my friend and I almost hit 2 of them as they were inches from our car...very stupid!! That just gives us a bad name with stupid people doing that in all that traffic!!

Also around on 54 here in Land O Lakes , there was a guy on a suzuki and he had gear on alright...leather chaps LOL. I have never seen a person on a sport bike with chaps on...that's was weird but hey at least he had some leathers on...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
At least you have that option to ride every Sunday!

I really don't understand why any rider would not use a helmet when riding. I also don't understand why there are some States that still have the no-helmet law as well.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
RSixxy said:
...there was a guy on a suzuki and he had gear on alright...leather chaps LOL. I have never seen a person on a sport bike with chaps on...that's was weird but hey at least he had some leathers on...
I always wear my helmet with my a$$less leather chaps, in addition to my black leather riding vest shirtless.:001_cool:

Don't you all know that helmet laws infringe on our freedoms.:001_rolleyes: Like having a drivers licence, I believe riding is a privilege rather than a right. Helmets should be the law. I use to ride the H-D's and customs with DOT approved half helmets and goggles, but starting a year or so ago. I use full face on everything. Gear for the fall, not the ride.

·
Registered
858 Posts
clos79 said:
I live in Florida.... That's all I have to say!!!! :blink:
Amen!! I saw this guy last week on an R6 with slacks, dress shoes, and a nice dress shirt with no helmet. He was a pretty big guy with a big ole belly and all I could think about was WHEN this guy hits the pavement at 50mph he'll probably be disembowled if he lands on his stomach.

Why don't these people think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts