Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some competitiveness in me. I like team sports. I am good at baseball and softball. I played mens league baseball till about four years ago and I have retired to a beer drinkers sport, softball. I have played on up to four teams in a season. Just play different cities to play different nights. Then play tornament teams on the weekend. I decided that was too much time, so I cut back to three teams, no tourneys.

:cursing:

So, many people remember may remember softball ruined the first half of my track season last year when a ball took a bad hop on me when I was playing third base. Lots of damage to my ankle and it took quite some time to heal.

I swore of softball, like I have three other times...

Fast Forward....

Season comes around and the Short Stop from my team last year approaches me about playing co-ed. I tell him to F-off, I am done with softball. He sends coeds my way to pursuade me. He wins, i am playing. Today in a double header scrimmage, I am doing well. Two triples, two doubles and three single. Four line drive outs. Not too bad.

But on my last single, a big lefty comes up to the plate. I hate batting before a hook. First is not a safe place to be. I hear the crack of the bat and commit for second. I turn to look left on my second stride and as I see and hear the ball sizzling through the air. Right off my left kidney. Off course that means I am out. Not just in the game, but it F'n hurt.

My next at bats left me not getting on base at all. It hurt to swing and I was really over it at this point. My last at bat I walk up left handed. The girl on first is nevous after seeing what happened to me. Everyone else thinks it is a big joke and play me shallow.

First pitch, I pivot and unleash a lines drive all the way to the right field
fence. I trot to third. Not too confortable at this point, so runnign full speed was not an option.

Right now I have a burning sensation from my spane all the way around my side half way to my belly button.

I figure I will be fine by monday, but damn I hate softball!

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Beer bal is fun... but playing just shy of all out is the way to go... at least at my age!

I used to play the field and run the bases with reckless abandon... but then I FIGURED IT IS WISER TO BE ABLE TO make it to work on Monday!

Damn caps lock!

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not too worried about work. As long as my fingers are functioning, I can work. As long as I have one finger I can work, just slow.

I worry about ruining my trackdays and other fun little adventures. I have said many seasons that I will play at 90%. That works up until I put my cleats on. I quit men's baseball because I cannot play at less than 100%. I have a damaged rotator cuff. That ruined college baseball hopes for me (I pitched). I talked to doctors and all of them stressed the surgery woudl have me back at 100% if I did not play. If I did play, expect to have surgery every three to four years.

I met with a trainer and we retaught me how to throw without surgery. No more over the top release. 3/4 arm and I could throw around the injury. I started pitching again in men's league. In the rotation, i was also playing right field. In the heat of the moment in a desperation throw, I came over the top to get just enough umph to make a play at home form the right field fence.

Baseball fun................ Over.

Now I try to back off in softball. But no one likes more than me. The only way I hate it more, is if I contributed to the loss. Getting beat sucks, but beating yourself sucks more (haha! That out of context is funny). I play every play like the outcome of the game is hinging on it. My body unfortunately takes a beating!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts