Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kid wont go to sleep unless two things happen.
1. "Read me a story." Ruby and Max or Curious George, easy, done.
2. "Sing me a song." Much tougher.

Most kiddie songs are cute and all but let's face it, why pass up on the opportunity to teach your kids some music history and entertain them at the same time? So I've been selecting the songs she'll get to hear for bedtime. So far I've taught her (bear in mind she's 3):
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World - Charlie Rich
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Next on the list is:
Spoiler:
"Viva Las Vegas" - the Elvis version of course
"Sympathy for the Devil" - the Stones
"Welcome to the Jungle" - GnR - she thinks it's about Curious George.

My wife seems to think I'm setting my daughter up for enormous therapy bills later in life, I say nay nay - I'm teaching her something about music's past and maybe develop a greater appreciation than Hillary Duff can.

Feedback?

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
I always thought the song Perserverance from Hatebreed was a good children song.

·
Quitting is for Quitters!
1,798 Posts
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Music and Dancing is my first passion so i have taught both of my boys to appreciate just about every kind of music there is. I listen to Hip-hop, rap, classical, Opera, Top 40, Reggae and Latin music. So you teaching her songs that you like is great IMO. Keep it up she will learn to appreciate music that way. :thumbup:

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
jetblast10 said:
My wife seems to think I'm setting my daughter up for enormous therapy bills later in life, I say nay nay - I'm teaching her something about music's past
OK, ugly truth time.
1) Your wife will always know more than you as that kid came out of her body. Even when she's doing something you've been expressly instructed not to do. Letting her watch TV till she falls asleep and so on.

2) Very soon your daughter will learn how to say "Dad" in an exasperated tone when you don't act as she thinks you should. In the mean time soak up as much of the hero worship as you can and sing or do whatever turns her crank. Just be aware you may be singing Baby Beluga, or Hillary Duff to her in the next month when her taste changes. In cases like that it's best to bite your tongue about how you feel. Kids love winding up adults if they sense a sore spot. Your boobies story tells it all, even if you keep what you think is poker face she knows she's getting extra vibes!

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
nice list, u gotta start them out w/ older stuff and work your way up...

start w. some old blues stuff...the kind of music the stones and led zep listened too b4 they made it...

then you roll them forward w/ some r&b, then some early rock and roll...then the 60's, groove them w/ some bubblegum 70's and then finally 80's stuff...all the while filling the gaps w/ some classic classical and definitive opera

they should have equal opportunity to appreciate good music b4 the corruption begins

·
Living the dream
1,246 Posts
Keep it up! My Mom and Dad aways had music going. After the big D, my Mom dated a lot gus in bands...whole other story. Needles to say I heard lots of different music growing up and love 660s and 70s stuff as well as R&B and Hip Hop.

Now I am part of a side DJ business and can entertain about any crowd and know the songs they want to hear.

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
Man, have at it. My 3-year-old girl goes to bed to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" just about nightly. A few other choices I've used with her:

Lullaby of London - The Pogues
The Broad Majestic Shannon - The Pogues
Doo Wa Diddy
The lullaby from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"
Romeo and Juliet - Mark Knopfler

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
I'm still a youngin. Haven't lost my mind like you guys yet. :wacko: I still remember my mom telling me stories at my bed side. She would tell me about times of her growing up. Great memories for me. Helped me bond closer.

I see so many young ones that get almost neglected by their parents. You spending time with your child is awesome. And important. They will thank you for it when they are older and well rounded like you all see in me. :innocent:

I'm glad to hear there are parents out there that actually make personal time. :001_smile:

G

·
I agree with ragdoll. I myself am NOT a youngen but some of my fondest memories are of either my mom, dad, grandparents, etc... singing to me. No matter what song you sing they will remember these times so, yes, choose wisely. I remember me and my Nan would go for walks in the field (lived on a big farm) and we would sing "Take The Long Way Home" by SuperTramp. My mom would turn up the Doobie Brothers "Black Water," and then there was Dad, Alabama "She & I." I myself have a 10 year old step-daughter and we sing our hearts out to Green Day. I will always be a new rock alternative fan but no matter what my step-daughter likes I'll still sing with her. Music connects souls!

G

·
Rock on Dad!

Actually, I doubt the choice of music will be of little significance in the long run (barring, of course, the soul killing and antisocial attitude inducing lyrics of the standard "gangstra rap" venue that I wouldn't consider music anyway!) The time spent giving of yourself to your daughter is the really important thing and it is an investment that will have life shaping impact. While the modern media tends to belittle the role of the father in the home (what images do we have to model after? Homer from the Simpsons, the bozzo dad from Married With Children, etc.) there is a ton of sociological and psychological research that indicates that having a loving Daddy makes a tremendous difference in the long term adjustment of the developing girl, just as much for sons.

Knowing that she is loved and cherished by her father will give her a basis for having confidence and a positive self-esteem as well as being able to later discern what real love looks like (rather than some guy's self-centred lust) when she is old enough to get into a serious relationship. There is a very good reason why girls raised in a loving two parent home who have always known in their heart that they are precious and valuable from the look in their father's eyes are more likely to grow up to be able to respect themseves enough not to throw themselves repeatedly into obviously abusive and/or exploitative relationships. The best gift you can give her is your time, regardless of the activity itself! That said, finding some "fun" and uplifting music (e.g., Raffi, Sharon Lois and Bramm, etc) appropriate for her age will also help keep her attention and give you something to fall back on as well. By the way, "Baby Beluga" was one of my girls' favorites when they were around that age - it's a down-right "cute" song.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
You talk a lot. Sorry Norman, my attention span just isn't that long. Could you, I dunno, use more paragraphs or something?

In all seriousness, you do raise some good points. Nice post!

·
Banned
621 Posts
My 5-year-old loves George Thorogood (we do skip "I Drink Alone", however) and Supertramp. He actually asks for the stuff when we're driving around and I'm more than happy to oblige. I'll never give them access to the self-loathing rap and scream-banging trash of today, and you know what? They're my kids, so be it. My 2-year-old loves Twinkle Twinkle, Jesus Loves Me and Barney, and we all sing loudly in the car, just like me and my sisters did when we were kids. I took up guitar just so we could sing together, and I think they will probably end up playing better than I ever will.

It's all about the family harmony, baby, whether you sound good or not.

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
We had the cherry Mustang convertible one road trip with the Raffi blasting down the Hwys. Got more than a few double takes on that. Now they mostly listen to classical at bed time as the goal is to calm them down! The real hit is pulling out 40 year old books, and reading them after you explain it was one you used to ask for every night. Oh yeah, Max and Ruby is in heavy rotation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.