Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking seriously about trading the 06 Hornet in on a new Triumph 1050 GT.
Love the Hornet as a do all motorcycle except for the painful foot numbing vibration and lower back pain after about 2 hours of constant highway travel.
It's not a problem if you actually use the engine and gearbox and shift around in the seat when riding a little more spirited, but I do some long distances occasionaly and it becomes painful to the point of dangerous through inattention. Have fixed the handlebar vibration to a non issue.

Is all this relevant or am I just after an excuse to upgrade as I do like the triumph?
P.S. How do I convince the wife ?:idunno:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Just tell her the vibration in your leg is giving you constant erections and if she won't help you out with them you'll have to help yourself ..... oh hang on, I mean you'll have to take matters into your own hands .... heck, you know what I mean.

Like the triumph - go for it.

·
Cat Herder
1,788 Posts
Love the Hornet as a do all motorcycle except for the painful foot numbing vibration

Just out of curiosity, where does your foot ride on the pegs? I always wear boots and both pair I ride with have thick rubber soles. I always have the balls of my feet resting on the pegs and don't really feel any vibration.

With boots, the sole can usually be divided into 3 parts, the heel, the front tread pad (for lack of a better term) and the treadless high area just in front of the heel. If I rest the footpeg in the middle treadless area where the sole is the thinnest, I can feel vibration, which is why I always rest on the tread. Just a thought...

·
Gets censored
1,839 Posts
I dont have a foot numbing issue at all, I do get the numb hand.

the 1050Gt is a little to tourish and not enough sportish to me, personally. But if you're wanting something to tour more on and don't care about the little less sporty Id say do it its a fine machine.

I'd like to know what saddle you're running on the 9er and how much you wiegh?

-Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
I feel very qualified to respond - my motorcycle carousel for 2010 went like this:

2003 919 - had it for 4 years , best bike ever, thought I wanted a sport tourer

2005 Yamaha FJR - nice bike, way too toury for me

2006 Triumph Sprint ST - way more sporty than the FJR, good wind protection, liked having bags. Could not stand to ride it more than 250miles or so. Pegs are high, bars are low (even with upgraded 2008+ bars). It's a sport bike with bags. Loved it til I took a long trip on it... sold it shortly thereafter and tried to get my 919 back from the guy that bought it.

2010 Triumph Speed Triple - bike I wanted before I got 919... effin awesome.

Regarding the Sprint GT. From the rider's waist up I could not tell a difference between it and the Sprint ST... nothing, same bars, same cockpit. The seat is longer and wider and the footpegs are lower. I don't think it would be much more comfortable for long rides than the ST except for leg room. Lights are much better on the GT than the ST. If you go that route get a used 08+ Sprint ST for half what a new GT cost.

The Triumph 1050 is amazing.

If I had it to do over I'd keep the 919 and get an 06+ FJR for toruing/2up riding. I have learned this year that one bike cannot do everything well. If you're a one bike kind of person get the one that does most of it for you. It'll be hard to find a better bike than the 919 though, I compare everything I've been on since to it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Am thinking seriously about trading the 06 Hornet in on a new Triumph 1050 GT.
Love the Hornet as a do all motorcycle except for the painful foot numbing vibration and lower back pain after about 2 hours of constant highway travel.
It's not a problem if you actually use the engine and gearbox and shift around in the seat when riding a little more spirited, but I do some long distances occasionaly and it becomes painful to the point of dangerous through inattention. Have fixed the handlebar vibration to a non issue.

Is all this relevant or am I just after an excuse to upgrade as I do like the triumph?
P.S. How do I convince the wife ?:idunno:
How long are these trips? Where are you placing you foot on the peg? What rpm's are you typically sitting at wilst cruising? Are you sure its a vibe issue and not your riding pants or boots causing a bloodflow restriction?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't get asked this much information when I get fitted for a new suit, but I am an expanding 82kg (180lb) 173cm (5ft 8in) and dress to the right. I wear loose kevlar jeans when hot or dryrider pants with soft armour. My boots are very comfortable "Rossi" brand touring boots. ( I hope WT's is not a front for a gay dating service)

I normally ride with the balls of the feet on the standard peg set up and have a standard seat with an "Airhawk" brand cushion. Highway cruising at 4500 to 5000rpm range. Previously broken foot from when I was young and indestructable does not help.

I have had a test ride on the 1050 GT and am impressed with ergonomics and power delivery but have not taken it for a long boring ride till you get to the interesting bits. Well ridden it won't be far behind a 919 around corners, but won't keep up with a sports bike with lunatic with a death wish at the helm.

May be I should spend the money on a restyled seat and work out how to rubber mount the footpegs, after all anybody with half an idea and access to a workshop can achieve amazing things.

But I still like the Triumph and I still got to convince the keeper of the finances.

·
Gets censored
1,839 Posts
Well youve got some weight like me, Id invest in a corbin (its what i got) or a sargent something along those lines it helped quite a bit on my ass end. Pvster has good advice that may help on the vibes for touring duty.

And nobody is trying to bang ya man calm down, maybe the triumph dealer but no one here.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
May be I should spend the money on a restyled seat and work out how to rubber mount the footpegs, after all anybody with half an idea and access to a workshop can achieve amazing things.QUOTE]

Worth a try - get a couple of suitably sized rubber washers (8mm hole maybe 3mm thick rubber) from a hardware store or similar. Remove the left peg hanger assembly (the entire front/rear peg attachemnt) - it only holds on by two large capped bolts (8 mm x 22). Place the rubber waswers between the hanger and it's frame attachment and tighten. It is entirely possible that $1.00 worth of rubber and 15 minutes with a spanner will reduce or nullify the vibes.

If it works I'd be inclined to reasemble with some loctite.

Heck I may try it myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Allan.
That is along the lines that I am thinking, but I should be able to make a bush type vibration damper to insert in the rearset bracket as well. There are also some nice cavities in the casting out near the pillion pegs that are begging to be filled with a bit of molten lead, that should help change the ocillation frequency.
Went for a ride today along my favourite twisty bits, this hornet can sure surprise a few badly ridden sports bikes, slower into the apex but can get on the throttle a lot earlier for good exit speeds. The trick is to get them before they hit their sweet spot.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,718 Posts
Psssssst! Pull the trigger on the Triple and don't ever look back. Pipe it properly and accordingly you shall make music all across the land of OZ. Thee shall be not afraid never and forever more to pin the throttle in accordance with the heritage of your ancestors. Though it may be "limey" oriented and built by those who are reputed to harbor poor dentistry, it is revered as a world traversing tool of integrity and spirit.

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllll the triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiger!

·
I Love Parallel Twins
473 Posts
Go for it and like Bigdaa said, don't look back! Triumph has some fantastic Quality, a generous warranty period, (which in my case wasn't needed,) and awesome smoothness and super looks.
Hell Man, Your wife will actually thank you for the added safety of ABS.:smart:
DO IT!
:devil:
With Triumph written on the tank, be prepared to have people walk over at gas stations and tell you about the Trumpet they used to own back in the day.:wub:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally did it.
After nearly 12 months of agonising over wether to trade the Hornet 919 in on a new Triumph Sprint GT, I bit the bullet and ordered one. Pick up a blue one this week
(a pity they don't come in red)
Have loved the Hornet but after 4 years, time to move on and upgrade to some thing better suited to my immature age and type of riding I do. I think the real reason is trying to recapture my youthfull days riding Triumphs and spending my hard earned money before the darling wife gives it to the kids. I have convinced the wife that she will have a more comfortable perch and we can spend more quality time together.
As somebody reminded me, spend it while you can and enjoy life because you are a long time dead.
I will let you all know my thoughts on real world ownership and living with this bike, not much info on the net from actual owners, only professional scribes who are overall positive.
Due to the infectious nature of WT's already contemplating mods to personalise the bike.
It's going to be a long week at work, seems like a week before Xmas and I'm 8 years old

1 - 19 of 19 Posts