Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always amazes me how there are so many deaths at the beginning and the end of riding season. Our season really hasn't even started and there has already been a death.

Roads around here are still cold and covered in salt/sand from the winter, not an ideal time to ride that's for sure. This rider decided to 'race' on a busy major highway in the middle of rush hour during the week in maybe tops 40 degree fahrenheit weather.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/03/18/1494062-sun.html

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060318-001/page.asp

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Unfortunately, here we go. It never changes. Young ones get on these bikes and just refuse to realize the rate of acceleration today's bikes are capable of.

Not that it would have helped, but I am a little miffed that his helmet flew off his head? What kind of helmet? Was it strapped?

Each year, the bikes get more powerful, and it seems the riders get younger and more immature.

Very sad indeed.

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
Yeah, the helmet thing was a little weird, but you're also right that it's unlikely that it would have helped.

150km/hr ~ 90mph
340km/hr ~ 20mph

So he basically hit a wall at 70mph. Not the most survivable of wrecks.

The more I hear about wrecks like these, the more I think we need graduated licensing, like the UK.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually in another local bike forum, one of the guys who posted there said he was one of the first emergency response teams that arrived at the scene. He stated that they removed the helmet so obviously the media was wrong there, imagine that, the media actually reporting something wrong.

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
JohnC said:
The more I hear about wrecks like these, the more I think we need graduated licensing, like the UK.
No doubt. Same thing with drivers license. We need to make it harder to get one. Driving is a privelage not a right, and to do so one should have to prove he/she can drive in a manner that is safe and proficient not that they just can drive around the block and parallel park.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
That is a debate that me and a couple of bench racing friends always have when we hear about another rider(s) that gets kill.

Say what you will and some will blame the dealers (always the easy way out!) but I think we need to have it as a law before we all loose the right to ride.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Where I live it seems to be a year round thing as we technically don't have a riding season to end and begin. It is sad to go onto local boards here and always see some post about someone dying :( It just always brings me back to reality that we take our life in our hands everytime we ride.

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Personally I don't care for the habit of repeatedly posting these deaths as something of note. Over the winter how many thousands of car drivers died as the result of stupidity or lack of skill. Shiit happens....it's just not news unless it happens to a motorcycle rider....lets not help the anti-bike forces by making every motorcycle death a "story".
Same with the gorey pictures of riders that died. How about a hundred pics of mangled car drivers for every one bike rider...that would more accurately describe the reality.
We are only hurting ourselves when we publisize these deaths ad naseum to the world.
It's always been my suspicion that these photos and stories are posted by anti-bike moles that join motorcycle related forums.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know about moles but I find it to be a sobering reminder that riding a motorcycle is a dangerous thing. Even more dangerous when you don't ride responsibly. I feel sure "they" will never take away our "right" to ride. Wear your gear and ride like you are invisable.

G

·
While I don't personally like the feeling I get from these posts, they are EXCELLENT reminders and are quite sobering.

We're far more vulnerable than all the cages out there. Just keep that in mind when you thumb the starter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Evad101 said:
No doubt. Same thing with drivers license. We need to make it harder to get one. Driving is a privelage not a right, and to do so one should have to prove he/she can drive in a manner that is safe and proficient not that they just can drive around the block and parallel park.
but it said that he didn't have one. how many people do you think drive without one of with a suspended one? PLENTY! nothing will stop them if they wanna drive....unfortunitly:no:

G

·
Personally, I think its a recipe for disaster to put young "kids" (at least from the perspective of 50+ year old like me) on motorcycles with 100+ horsepower and expect them not to give into the temptation fueled by that amount of power under the control of a testosterone drenched mind. One thing that also strikes me when I wander through the m/c shops is just how few options there are for less powerful "starter" bikes to learn on. Unless you are buying a kiddie sized trail bike, almost every street bike on the floor has a 600 cc or larger engine with very few exceptions. I recall when I started riding in the "good old days" here in Alberta you could get a license to ride a m/c of no more than 100 cc displacement at age 14 to 15, but you had to be 16+ to ride anything bigger. A lot of us got our first bikes in the 90 to 100 cc range and spent a couple of years learning how to ride and getting some control skills down before graduating to a "big" bike (you know, like my Honda CB175 or my friend's Yami RD250 or 350). It also goes without excessive comment that even the really big bikes of that age (circa 1970 to 1980) pushing 750 cc's didn't produce anywhere near the horsepower and acceleration that we take for granted from a sport bike of today. While no legal regulations such as graduated licenses will prevent someone bent on ignoring every imaginable law (including the basic laws of common sense) from killing himself while riding without a license, insurance or registration as it appears was the case in this story, having a graduated license system that restricts a newbie rider from jumping on a high powered sport bike for a couple of years would certainly get my vote! It might even prompt a demand for some improved selection of smaller bikes in the 250 to 350 size range that are not race engines dropped into a massed produced frame. Frankly, from my experience with restoring and "tweeking" a vintage 1970's Yamaha RD350 I have created a little beast with more than sufficient acceleration and alround screaming power to tempt me to push the limits of reason on the streets and it is fast enough to scare me if I'm not careful. Except for the constant materialistic drive to have the "biggest and fastest" bike around (hmmm, one wonders about some Freudian interpretation regarding penis envy) the level of raw horsepower being bolted to most civial street bikes seems insane to this writer. As the old adage goes: "There are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but not many old and bold motorcyclists!"

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Well put J.B.

There will always be injures and possibly deaths related to any activity that involves speed beyond what the human body was designed for, max. of about 25 mph.

Stated in the news article, "...the young man, who had no licence, no insurance and improper licence plates..., I'd call it nature selection.

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
Long post there, normanbrodie, which means you're going to lose some of the attention-challenged, but you're right on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts