Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
MNRider, did you ever get pic of your bags on the bike? I'm very interested in them. I really would like to know where you mounted them and what they touch. A bit worried about scratching up my titanium pipes. Thanks so much

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm running a tank bag, which I have done for years I a different bike. Fuel ups aren't a problem for me as I'm used to taking the bag off. However all the tail bags I see people posting and the stepped seat on the 919 have me thinking about getting one to use instead of the tank bag (my other bike has a flat bench that I slide all over on long rides to keep fresh so a tail bag was not really a consideration.).

Here is my dilemma:

What I like about my tank bag:
It is good for my commute.
All the office stuff fits.
A spare shield for late nights fits.
Lunch fits
I can pull it off the bike and walk into the office, no problem.
It is not in the way of getting on or off the bike.

What I don't like:
I do worry it will scratch/buff shin my tank over time.
It can get in the way of full lock turns when it is full (I know, "just slide it back")
It is not waterproof.

My concerns for a tail bag:
Do the go on and off just as easily as a tank bag?
Do they get in the way getting on or off the bike?

For those pfennig whom use them regularly, how do they work?

Maybe I should just get a top rack and hard case and be done with it.

Cheers
Cheese

·
Batman
1,053 Posts

·
Motocamp 919
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, pictures I have :). Here's a few, if I can post them correctly.. http://i.imgur.com/a84nN9T.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/DsMjBx3.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/tC1W3hW.jpg.

I do need to get something to protect them from rubbing on my plastics, but the pipes won't get scratched from them at all. My pipes are also double walled, so they never get HOT, just very warm, so I'm never concerned that they will burn or melt the bags. You can also see I use aluminum carabiners and para-cord instead of the regular mount straps; they are set up very strangely.

Oh, I also LOVE them, but am still planning on getting hard bags.

·
Chicken Strips
543 Posts
I am thinking of a set of saddlebags also, currently I have stock exhaust so no heat issues but if I go with a danmoto set of canisters will they get too hot and melt them?

·
Premium Member
11,622 Posts
Anything aftermarket will get hotter than the stock exhaust with shields. Even my CF Satos got fairly warm after droning on the freeway.

Most definitely have to keep the exhaust exits clear.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not a great pic of the bags, but I like them and they work really well. Easy on/off, I put the straps under the seat, and the heat from the exhaust doesn't seem to cause any problems. Firstgear Onyx.
anyway to get a few more pics? sorry but i am really interested in getting some soft (easy on easy off) bags for the 919... this would be my first time buying something like this.... im used to the hard bags that mount on brackets.

·
Chicken Strips
543 Posts
I just picked up a used set off a local guy for $30. Will try them out this summer before buying a new set. I want to play around with mounting points ect

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've just got a set of soft bags. Motocenter Sport Bags.

They work great and expand quite a bit as well. Can definitely haul quite a bit in them, not bad for grocery trips even.

I didn't want to bother with mounting brackets, etc on my 919, especially with the occasional track day, more of a pain to take off and put back on.

If I plan on doing real long trips a week+ at a time, I'll probably look into something like an FJR 1300 with hard cases.

Here it is with my tank bag as well:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just got a set of soft bags. Motocenter Sport Bags.

They work great and expand quite a bit as well. Can definitely haul quite a bit in them, not bad for grocery trips even.

I didn't want to bother with mounting brackets, etc on my 919, especially with the occasional track day, more of a pain to take off and put back on.

If I plan on doing real long trips a week+ at a time, I'll probably look into something like an FJR 1300 with hard cases.

Here it is with my tank bag as well:

Are soft saddle bags safe from the exhaust heat?
Do you need to use a heat shield over the exhaust?
For reference I have an aftermarket slip on (not carbon).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Are soft saddle bags safe from the exhaust heat?
Do you need to use a heat shield over the exhaust?
For reference I have an aftermarket slip on (not carbon).
IDK about aftermarket slip on, but I've had my soft saddle bags on for years and never had a problem. They do get warm, but there's a non-cloth surface on that side. It's some kind of ABS/plastic stuff with canvas for the rest of the bag.

With aftermarket, you might want to add something that'll let some air pass, simply having an air gap makes all the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IDK about aftermarket slip on, but I've had my soft saddle bags on for years and never had a problem. They do get warm, but there's a non-cloth surface on that side. It's some kind of ABS/plastic stuff with canvas for the rest of the bag.

With aftermarket, you might want to add something that'll let some air pass, simply having an air gap makes all the difference.
Thanks, my exhaust definitely gets hot after an hour of ridding.
Do you think I need something like this?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dryspec-universal-exhaust-heat-shield

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Thanks, my exhaust definitely gets hot after an hour of ridding.
Do you think I need something like this?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dryspec-universal-exhaust-heat-shield
I don't know how hot your's gets, but what I was thinking about was to add something to the back of the bags instead of to the the exhaust. The reason is that you can take off the bags and be right back to stock or wherever you were.

I think a thin piece of alum or a starter heat shield would do the trick.

Something like this, I run a starter heat shield on a hot rod with headers to keep the starter from getting heat soaked.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-1...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4996KQP9KBDSXTAWQES2

21 - 40 of 40 Posts