Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went with the Givi setup. Found a used top and side rack setup on Ebay and mounted Givi side cases. Even used, it's not a cheap option, and the result is a bike 4" wider than my Victory Cross Country at its widest point! Not sure I would choose this option again, but the bags are high quality and hold alot of stuff. Plus the top and side mount gives options to mount top only, sides only or both.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I went with the SW Motech racks and Givi bags, love them and they are worth every single penny. I added some LED lights to the bags for visibility. I also welded the read bar that connects the two sides of the racks, takes out all the "wobble" they had before.

I have about 30K on mine, dropped it on them, and never had a single problem.

For the record, they are side bags. Saddle bags are for homos on harleys. ( no offense to any homos reading this)

·
Batman
1,053 Posts
I have the ogio tank bag and tail bag. Held up so far for almost 4 years.

If i were you, see if you can talk to twistedthrottle into the blaze luggage system. They dont list one for 919, but is going to be my next stop at seeing if a similar bike will fit, or, what i need to do to fab my own setup. I dont need really large nor wide, just enough for extra packing of clothes. The tail and tank bag can hold other stuff to accommodate.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I mostly use my 919 for pleasure riding so I opted for an easily removeable seat bag instead. I went with a medium Motofizz camping seat bag. It straps on tight, doesn't rub the bike and has plenty of room. I don't even notice it's there.

I have a pic somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
Givi all around.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
For the record, they are side bags. Saddle bags are for homos on harleys. ( no offense to any homos reading this)
Also known as *** bags.

Reactions: NakedFTR

·
Registered
287 Posts
whats your opinions on the best option for some type of quick release tail bag? i usually ride 1 up, so something i could lay on the rear seat possibly mount to the grab handle and the foot peg clips would be awesome.

dont need that much storage, room for a change of clothes, a little bit of food and my wallet is all.

Any opinions?

·
Batman
1,053 Posts
whats your opinions on the best option for some type of quick release tail bag? i usually ride 1 up, so something i could lay on the rear seat possibly mount to the grab handle and the foot peg clips would be awesome.

dont need that much storage, room for a change of clothes, a little bit of food and my wallet is all.

Any opinions?
Whats your budget? Again, as mentioned, i have the ogio tail bag. Has clips that quick detach from bike, expandable to fit my clothes n stuff, side pokets and looks decent. I scan the luggage section all the time hoping for innovation but honestly, youll find the same type of luggage met by all sorts vendors at all sorts of price points. Waterproof, expandable, color, velco, snap, tie or clip attachement all factor in options.

Browse the review sections of online retailers. Even better if you have a good local shop to feel the product. Support local shops at all possible, build that relationship and you'll score loyalty cred for the times you may not expect it. Like vip test rides, offers on demo bikes, super discounts on product refreshes, etc. Plus, often times they have popcorn and everyone LOVES popcorn. RIGHT GUYS?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I used a Nelson Rigg set. I had to modify the straps a fair amount using some half inch wide velcro strapping but once I did the fit is very nice. The model was cl-950 and they cost about 100 bucks off ebay.

Attachments

·
No Destination
478 Posts
What have you guys used?
I use a set from MotoCentric. Can't complain. Well made, simple to attach/detach, expandable, and have rain covers. Tail bag can be used alone or it also can be attached to the saddle bags.

MotoCentric Moto Sport Saddlebags
MotoCentric Moto Sport Saddlebags - Motorcycle Saddlebags
MotoCentric Moto Sport Tail Bag
MotoCentric Moto Sport Tail Bag - Motorcycle Tail Bags

Album of photos with luggage on my niner:
http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/album.php?albumid=633

These bags tend to be available from places like Motorcycle Superstore for much less than listed on the MotoCentric site.

·
Tirone?
1,328 Posts
Go for the Ogio bags. The price is about right and they should last you a long time over the course of several bikes.

Watch out if it rains though. Soft bags can get soaked easily. Hopefully there is a rain cover to protect the outside, but these covers won't protect the side facing the wheel and the splash that comes off the wheel. Line the inside with a garbage bag before riding in the rain.

Also don't let the bags get too close to the exhaust opening or else you could wind up with a hole in the bag.

·
Motocamp 919
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, so I went with the Ogios. I am a 20y/o college student, thus the Givi is a bit out of my comfortable price range. I went to my local dealer to buy them and were $130 regular. (They knocked them down to $109 to match another pair that they liked less) I just took them on a 200 mile trip, and I only slightly modified the way that they attach. (P-cord and carabiners to the passenger mounts verses the straps that it comes with). They held up great even at 100+ mph and it even rained so I could test out the rain covers! Will post pics if there is any interest.

·
Super Moderator
11,241 Posts
Hey guys, so I went with the Ogios. I am a 20y/o college student, thus the Givi is a bit out of my comfortable price range. I went to my local dealer to buy them and were $130 regular. (They knocked them down to $109 to match another pair that they liked less) I just took them on a 200 mile trip, and I only slightly modified the way that they attach. (P-cord and carabiners to the passenger mounts verses the straps that it comes with). They held up great even at 100+ mph and it even rained so I could test out the rain covers! Will post pics if there is any interest.
Sounds like a nice set-up...definitely pics! :lurker-eating-popco

·
Batman
1,053 Posts
Are you in Minnesota? Only ask cuz im in north dakota. Im trying to recall any dealers in the mn area that would stock luggage as the ogios and thats lakes motors in lakeville, or moon motosports. Id make a day trip if i could see luggage in person, the dealers all have to special order around here. Glad it all worked out and you supported the dealer for a good deal it sounds.

·
Left of Centre
4,011 Posts
Givi-type hard case on the top, Givi soft cases on the side, with waterproof liners. No issues - the soft cases have rain covers but they are very flimsy and flap at open road speeds, so I went with nautical-style pvc drybags as liners. Carabiners to the passenger pegs to secure them in place, but they just come along for the ride - I get the feeling i could just drape them over the bike and they wouldn't budge. No heat issues from the pipes either.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts