·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[27/01/06 - 08:55]

Rossi’s F1 decision
Deciding in 2006

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT] Later this year, MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi will decide whether or not to switch full time to Formula One, his father says.

The 26-year-old Italian is set to test alongside Ferrari's Michael Schumacher and other teams for the first time next week, in a move that perhaps indicates the seriousness of his recent Formula One outings.

“This is his first real F1 trial,” Rossi's father, Graziano - a former motorcycle racer - told the Italian ANSA agency.

Although Valentino himself is often cagey about the F1 speculation, Rossi Snr admitted that his offspring was indeed contemplating the switch.

Graziano added: “I think he'll take until about halfway through this season and then he'll decide one way or another.”

Schumacher also hinted that the bosses at Maranello were similarly serious about Rossi's Grand Prix potential.

Asked about the motorcycle racer's Valencia test, the German said: “It's not really a big deal if Valentino is there or not, but it might be different in the future.”

Team boss Jean Todt, however, can probably sense a feeling in some corners of the sports media that the Rossi-hype is starting to bore.

The Frenchman told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “I would rather talk about whether we can catch up with our new car.”

Source GMM
CAPSIS International

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

It looks like his line is a little off in this shot (for a car) but once he finds the fast way around the track I'd bet money he'll quickly be a major force in F1.

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
Looks like he's pushing the front in that photo.

Making the transistion from 2 to 4 is easier said than done. There are so many variables in the handling characteristics from one machine to the other.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
boy, must suck for him...

Lets see, do I want to continue racing motoGP, or should I do formula 1. I just can't decide....

LOL

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
It sure looks like he overshot that turn but w/o looking a the big picture, we would never know... is there a videio of that shoot JB? It would be cool to see him in action.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Am I the only person who thinks he's a JA if he leaves before atleast making an attempt to walk away from this sport as King of 3 modified GP's? (ie. 500 to 990cc 4 stroke to 800cc 4stroke)

Looks like Biaggi got some testing in too, what a slap it'd be if he managed to steal the Ferrari ride from Rossi. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rossi one of if not the best in the history of two wheel racing but as good as even the Doctor is, 4 wheels is a different world, I am not seeing it for Valentino in F1.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
clos79 said:
Biaggi is testing for Midland F1 the former Jordan F1 team. I doubt Rossi has to fear his seat at Ferrari being taken by Biaggi. As for weather or not he could make the transition. I don't know, but who better to try it with then Ferrari.
Well now that Ferrari can't just buy the championship year after year it really comes down to the pilot. And Ferrari's current lead pilot wasn't such a Top Gun last year huh?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not going to get into last year here. If you like I can give you my opinion when I get home.

Oh and last year is last year, and if you look at the last few test sessions Ferrari should be in the first few grid position in Bahrain. New chassis, new engine formula, new tire package only the teams that are able to throw money at it will be at the top. Ferrari, BMW, Mclaren, Honda, and Renault will all be tough this year. Maybe even Toyota if they can get their act together. Not to mention that Red Bull is running Ferrari engines with a lot of influence from the Scuderia.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red Bull isn't a threat in my opinion, "The Apprentice" approach to picking drivers might work for Jack Roush but yeeehawwww, not F1.

BMW is about as committed to winning F1 as I am.

My money is on Renault and Ferrari, I'm just not about to let you skate around like Ferrari has God in their back pocket anymore. :D

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
jetblast10 said:
Red Bull isn't a threat in my opinion, "The Apprentice" approach to picking drivers might work for Jack Roush but yeeehawwww, not F1.

BMW is about as committed to winning F1 as I am.

My money is on Renault and Ferrari, I'm just not about to let you skate around like Ferrari has God in their back pocket anymore. :D

Hey now, leave Roush outta this...

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
how embarrassing

oops!

Schumi hit the marbles also

Rossi got started late in the day and would've only gotten in a couple laps anyway. Rossi was also on different tires than Schumi. Ferrari must be a little uncertain about this but I say give the boy some time and he'll figure it out.

Looks like today was Honda's day - p1 & p2 - Schumi at p3 was almost a full second off 1st. 2 more days to go.

G

·
Yeah, I read that he lost in in the first turn in front of all the media watching of course. It was a wet track, but I bet he was as red as the car.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fernando Alonso was the fastest of the fifteen drivers on track today at Valencia. Despite a wet track in the morning, the conditions improved gradually and the surface was completely dry in the afternoon.

Michael Schumacher set the second quickest time behind Alonso, sharing his time between the new Ferrari 248 F1 and a V8-powered F2004.

MotoGP Champion Valentino Rossi achieved a good performance today at the wheel of a V10-powered Ferrari F2004. The Italian completed a total of 49 laps, despite a spin at corner 4 near the end of the session.

Alexander Wurz and Fernando Alonso both encountered problems (a faulty sensor for the Renault driver) and had to stop on the track for a moment. Jarno Trulli also had his share of problems and went off the track at the wheel of his Toyota TF106.

Valencia - 1/02/06
1. F. Alonso - Renault R26 - 1'11"229 (+0"000) - 47 laps
2. M. Schumacher - Ferrari F2004/248 F1 - 1'11"821 (+0"592) - 73 laps
3. J.P. Montoya - McLaren Mercedes MP4/21 - 1'11"978 (+0"749) - 68 laps
4. J. Button - Honda RA106 - 1'11"998 (+0"769) - 85 laps
5. R. Barrichello - Honda RA106 -1'12"063 (+0"834) - 115 laps
6. J. Villeneuve - BMW Sauber F1.06 - 1'12"628 (+1"399) - 72 laps
7. R. Zonta - Toyota TF106 - 1'12"668 (+1"439) - 78 laps
8. V. Rossi - Ferrari F2004 V10 - 1'12"863 (+1"634) - 49 laps
9. D. Coulthard - Red Bull Ferrari RB2 - 1'12"891 (+1"662) - 37 laps
10. A. Wurz - Williams Cosworth FW27C - 1'12"930 (+1"701) - 83 laps
11. G. Paffett - McLaren Mercedes MP4/20 V10 - 1'12"937 (+1"708) - 115 laps
12. M. Webber - Williams Cosworth FW28 - 1'13"021 (+1"792) - 72 laps
13. J. Trulli - Toyota TF106 - 1'13"075 (+1"846) - 108 laps
14. R. Kubica - BMW Sauber C24B - 1'13"472 (+2"243) - 64 laps
15. H. Kovalainen - Renault R26 - 1'13"679 (+2"450) - 26 laps

* Times courtesy of McLaren Mercedes

ooooooooooh mama!!

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
Thank god JV beat him.

One of my favorite F1 incidents was a clip of a Jordan engineer who got to take one of the cars up the hill at Goodwood. I don't think he got 100 feet before spinning it and spearing the bales.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts