Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a rush! Had some time to spare and decided to visit Indy Ducati right by my place of employment. The owner Bill, asked if I would like to test ride an 1198s with him. I said yes. At 370 lbs, the bike is incredibly light for the 170 hp at the crank. The owner rode with me and led me down several twisty roads that I normally ride daily to get to work. It was nice test riding roads I know as I was able to push the envelope a bit. First impression was how uncomfortable the whole set up is. I have never ridden a full on sport bike before, the closest to a sport bike style bike I have ridden is the Ducati Sport Classic sport bike style which does not even compare. Through the city streets my wrists (which I broke in the Army) and back were really starting to hurt. Once we got out of the city and on some twisty side roads, the pain subsided and I was really starting to get comfortable. The owner was riding his 1098 Desmodici and none too slowly. To be honest, it was hard to keep up with him. In the corners, the bike just dropped over and it was almost instinctual to hang off and rest my non turning arm on the tank and let my turn arm do all the work. At one point the owner followed me on a particularly twisty road and critiqued my form a bit. (his son is a semi professional racer so I took his advise gladly) On one road, a crew had come by to fill pot holes and the road was full of pea gravel. My bike was equipped with the new traction control and as my rear tire slipped, I felt the bike cut the fuel and slow the tire. While the feeling was odd, it was relatively unobtrusive and I did not wreck so I think it is a fairly nice feature. Finally we blasted on the interstate back to the shop (getting up to 130 mph at one point). Overall I was really impressed that the owner was willing to let me flog his bike for an hour and even more impressed with his riding skills. The bike is obviously powerful and lithe but definitely not a bike that I could ride all day. Even with heli bars, it would seem the bike is just not designed for all day comfort or commuting. Looks like I will be sticking with Speedy...

·
orange
9,193 Posts
Very cool, sounds like we need to take a ride together up to Indy Ducati and have you introduce me! :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not... They do require that you wear a motorcycle jacket, gloves, boots over the ankles, helmet, and proof of current motorcycle insurance. So far, I have test ridden the S2R monster, the hypermotard, the 1198s, the sport classic gt 1000, and the sport 1000s. It is alot of fun testing new bikes and ripping it up on a bike that is not yours...

·
CB900
625 Posts
They are sex on wheels, wish I had the $33 K spare for the S model!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep forgeting how terrible the exchange rate is for you Aussies... They are about $22,000 here in the states.

·
CB900
625 Posts
I keep forgeting how terrible the exchange rate is for you Aussies... They are about $22,000 here in the states.
It seems like everything over your way is cheaper...

Over here...

A packet of cigarettes - $14.00
Carton of beer - Around $30
Front and rear Pilot Road 2CT's for a 919 - $500
Average house - $400,000
Litre of petrol - $1.06 at the moment
CB900 new RRP $14,500 - $9k on sale
29 k for 1198, 33k 1198s
New VMAX beast 29k
Goldwing luxury w/airbag 44k

What are these things over your way?

·
orange
9,193 Posts
It seems like everything over your way is cheaper...

Over here...

A packet of cigarettes - $14.00
Carton of beer - Around $30
Front and rear Pilot Road 2CT's for a 919 - $500
Average house - $400,000
Litre of petrol - $1.06 at the moment
CB900 new RRP $14,500 - $9k on sale
29 k for 1198, 33k 1198s
New VMAX beast 29k
Goldwing luxury w/airbag 44k

What are these things over your way?
Depends on what city and state you live in of course, but in my corner of the world...

Cigarettes - $6.00
24pk beer - $15-$30, depending on your tastes
Average House - $125,000
Gallon of gas - $2.39 as of today

Sounds like you get hosed on everything but beer :cheers:

I'll let someone else research the motorcycle prices, bedtime for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts