Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my yamaha YZF 2001 and i left it locked for more than one year but 2 days ago when i was trying to start it , it was very difficult to insert key into the lock then i was that the lock is fully covered with rust now i want to replace it i have consulted with one locksmith they told me to pay $650.00 but i found it very expensive so if anyone knws a cheap locksmith kindly inform me for it.

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Seafoam deep creep. It will help break up the rust. Cover the tank and everything else.

Shit, i'd try every chemical i could buy before I paid a locksmith. Or cut it off and buy a new lock set.

If you had to, could you SAFELY apply a torch to it? In worst case scenarios, a torch will help free it up.

·
Old, Bold rider
2002 Honda 919, 1976 Yamaha XT500 cafe, TC-JAG TZ250
2,484 Posts
The problem here is the wafers in the lock are spring loaded to follow the cuts in the key, but the contamination in the lock is preventing them from returning to follow the profile. They are pushed out and stay there.

The best thing to do is soak the mechanism with a very lightweight oil (good 'lol WD40, or a lightweight gun oil) for a couple hours, then insert the key, try to turn it in both directions without forcing things too much, and remove it to help free up the wafers. The lowest wafers are going to be the most difficult to free up because they are only engaged when the key is fully inserted, and that's where the water (and whatever else the water brings with it) will accumulate. After 10 or so attempts add more oil and continue. It will take about a half hour or more to get things moving, but it usually works.

Good luck.

Rob

·
Evolving.....Slowly
2004 Honda CB900f 919
40 Posts
I have had great results with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone, of course keep it away from paint. I just mix it in a small 1 ounce bottle with a needle applicator.

Rich
This.

I had a similar problem with EvoWife's Wrangler. I dipped the key in atf and worked it in and out for a while to get it all lubed up. Works like new now.

The 50/50 mix is the best for breaking loose frozen fasteners.

·
Will fly for food.
860 Posts
This has been my penetrant of choice for several years. It's amazing how nanotechnology has allowed us to harness the power of a mouse's milk :laugh: But on a more serious note, this stuff is awesome!

MOUSE MILK OIL from Aircraft Spruce

Reactions: HeliMech

·
919 Rider
2,893 Posts
You're bringing up a 6 year old thread. Most of those people aren't here anymore. This happens every so often, someone digs thru the old threads without looking at the date. It's from 2013.
Karl I think that dude is a scam. Those weird posts pop up from time to time. Always zero post counts. Someone deletes them before too long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts