Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to remove the tint from your cars windows? Forget about that spray bottle chemical garbage they sell right next to the window tint at your local autoparts store.

Steam. Yes steam. As long as you're not working with laminated layered glass steam works 100x better than anything I've tried. I used a professional steamer you'd see at a tailor shop or industrial laundry and a razor scraper. Had an entire window stripped and clean in about a half hour.

Just apply the steam to a small area at a time and tug on the tint. It comes right off, if any glue residue remains just steam it up again and scrape with the razor.

You can even get cheap steam cleaners from most local gimmick stores, I even saw one at CVS Pharmacy the other day.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Alternative method: Hair dryer to remove the tint, Goo Gone to remove the glue. Just take your time, you'll screw it up if you rush it.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bock919 said:
Alternative method: Hair dryer to remove the tint, Goo Gone to remove the glue. Just take your time, you'll screw it up if you rush it.
I tried that on the other window with mixed results but I used a vinyl decal remover that's essentially the same as goo gone. The advantage of steam turned out to be no chemicals anywhere near your interior and cleanup was nothing more than a paper towel.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
use the steam also, but don't use the razor. Have a roll of papertowels handy and just keep picking at the glue and wiping it up. The sticky nature of the glue breaks down under the steam and it becomes more gummy.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
jetblast10 said:
use the steam also, but don't use the razor. Have a roll of papertowels handy and just keep picking at the glue and wiping it up. The sticky nature of the glue breaks down under the steam and it becomes more gummy.
Soooo....
All you gotta do is go around the corner, pick some oranges, throw 'em in car & let set in the sun till it all nice & steamy! The tint peels & you've got a nice citrus smell!!! :punk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.