Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
The 600cc bikes have 5.5 inch rims, which fit 180 tires. Liters have 6inch rims and fit on 190 tires.

The 190 on most, if not all liter bikes is a 50 series tire and less 'pointy' than the 180 which is a 55 series tire.

When you take a 180 and put it on a 6 inch rim, it stretchs it out a little to fit it. It still a little more 'pointy' than a 190/50 so yes, the turn it will quicken on some. The downside is that you have less of a contact patch when you are leaning it the corner pretty good.

Alot of tire manufactures made a 190/55 tire as a solution to this. You get all your pointiness you want and still get your fat contact patch.

Pointy is a funny word.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
WIM-RC51 said:
Funny... now that I have tried both a 180/55 and a 190/50, I would stick with the 180/55.

It was more predictable for me, even at extreme lean angles, I could usually catch a slide or potential low side in time to save it.

With the 190/50, I have the front end sliding out on me at lean angles. I am still working on my suspension settings - either have to raise the rear a bit to compensate for the loss of 5 millimetres or so, or soften the front end or lower it. Not sure yet.

I am also going to try a 190/55 - as soon as I can spare the change for it.

wim.
Oh geez, don't start with that whole 5mm thing again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts