Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

Looking for advice/thoughts??? Whatever you've done or heard of. Things that worked or didn't work?

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
He's done the flapper, has the Jardine 2-1 and PC3 (not custom mapped yet) and Dunlop Q's are on the way. Likes the idea of the HRC throttle.

Basically, he wants to make sure I don't catch up to him on my 600RR...:p

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Haha! I had the 600RR and I have 2 RC51s...

I somehow enjoy the RCs more. I would not take anything away from the RR though.

For me, I am weakest on brakes, so I took to making me more comfortable.

Tires and Braded brake lines were first.

Brake pads were the next addition.

THen there was Suspension! Dan Kyle has redone my forks and Thermosman has overhauled my penske for me (penske will also give you the ride height the RC needs). This is huge!

A Brembo 19x18 master cylinder is on the way. All of this is for control, not power.

Upgrading you wheels to have a lower MOI is also helpful for the RC. This will help with turn in and acceleration.

Regearing is also good. The stock gearing is too high!

Stay away from after maket filters and V-stacks for the RC. Not worth the money for the negative effects some have on the bike.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty happy w/ the feel of brakes & suspension. Although I plan on trying different settings just to see... The gearing is high...
Did take the screens off the stock air filters.

What about Pair(?) check valve removal?

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
The pair valve removal was am improvement for my bike. I did it at the same time as the flapper valve removal. I lost the flat spot in the lower midrange and my bike ran a little cooler.

Advice of what not to do... the cam silencing gears. Not one bit of a performance help and you have to listen to a bike that sounds as if it could blow up at any given moment.

As for brakes - do you have after market lines and pads? If not, please ride one that does. It will be your next purchase, they do get that much better.

Aftermarket Suspension is not necessary for riding, but like the brakes, when you ride one that has it, you will see the difference and throw money at it.

Do the "soft rev mod" also. Big help for track riding. Those extra couple hundred RPMs can help you get around some bad shift points at VIR.

Another free-ish mod. If you want the bike to turn in better, you can put a shim/spacer (read: big ass washer) between the top mount braket and the frame. Your bike will look funny sitting on the kick stand, but it will definately help with turn it. I also run a 180/55 tire when I reun street tiers. I run a 190/55 when I run race tires. I do not advocate the use of a 190/50 unless you only ride in straight lines.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
No, he doesn't have the lines and perf. pads, but if he doesn't do them before the riding season starts, he'll experience them when he takes mine for a spin come springtime.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mulford; You're gonna allow me back on your bike?!:eek:

f4iguy; Thanks for the info... I'm comfortable w/ brakes, but as you put it, I haven't rode one w/ aftermarkets' so I will have to look into pads and/or lines.

As I understand it, only the U.S. bikes have the "soft-rev"(?) which starts @ 9.5 rpm's??? By bypassing, is the "hard-rev" still there?

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Yes it is still there and works fine. I have found it on too many occassions at the track. You will gain an additional 700 rpms or so, just like the euro model.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ragdoll said:
Do a search! Oh wait...

Do you have a steering damper? Speaking of handling...

nope. do you really need? i've never had a problem where i would think of getting one.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
My first tank slapper experience was on the street. I was accelerating on an on-ramp when I made contact with a road joint that was not smooth. I went to full lock twice and recovered.

I ordered a steering damper that night. Never had a problem since.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so far... knock on wood... i haven't even come close to a tank-slapper (on rc). and being in new york, the cracks, tar strips, heaves, pot-holes, are plenty. the one thing i really like is that the front end feels planted, unlike the 929 which always feels like its gonna wash out on me.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
Yeah well, I have a funny feeling that we'll be riding so hard this coming season that we'll both end up needing them.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ask Shep if you need a damper and he will tell you that you definitely do need one. Had he had one on his RC51, he may not have went into violent tank slapper and hit a wall sending the bike into a ball of flames.

Personally I think any bike bigger then a 600 needs a damper without a question. I also think that all sport bikes should come stock with one like the gixxers do.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
like i said, i haven't "needed" one, but the one time it does happen i'm sure everyone will be there to say 'i told you so...'
any recommendations?

once the snow melts i'll be trying out bro's cbr1000, which comes stock w/ a damper... eh.

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
SportyChick said:
Personally I think any bike bigger then a 600 needs a damper without a question. I also think that all sport bikes should come stock with one like the gixxers do.
Thats because you have little girlie arms! ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.