Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if we have any here. I have a couple servers that refuse to allow my admin account control over the services. I do mean ANY services. I can't even start Windows Installer. HELP!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Can you answer these?

- is it a member server or domain controller
- are you using a local admin account to login or a domain admin account
- is it on the domain
- what error are you getting
- are you logged into the domain or the computer

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SportyChick said:
Can you answer these?

- is it a member server or domain controller
- are you using a local admin account to login or a domain admin account
- is it on the domain
- what error are you getting
- are you logged into the domain or the computer
-Domain controller
-tried both
-yes
-"the service did not respond in a reasonable amount of time" or some jazz like that
-I've tried using the local admin account (w/out domain), my user account (domain), and the domain admin account (obviously domain).

There's a big sloppy kiss waiting for whoever finds a solution for me (please god be Sporty).

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Check the Event Viewer for a detailed message on what the sam hill that thing is referring to.

Also, can you manually start the service? Will it start that way?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SportyChick said:
What service did you get the error on?
Is this your only domain controller?
I get that error on any service (that was in my first post) that I try to start/stop/restart. This includes *gulp* backup services. I've been using a remote backup, but it's gotten finicky as well. FYI when trying to install something that uses Windows Installer, it doesn't actually give me an error, it just sits and sits and sits and sits... Some services start on boot-up like they're supposed to, which is even more baffling to me. As a DC, they're working just fine, but I have absolutely no control over anything they do service-wise. kinda frustrating

I have four DCs. There are four buildings in my district and each one has a DC. Two of the buildings are connected to each other by what we call the "new addition" (clever I know) which is where these two servers reside. If I pull one down, I'd be okay, but I'd rather not unless I absolutely had to. If I do take one down, I'm waiting until the end of the school year.

:gun_bandana: turn1

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ragdoll said:
Check the Event Viewer for a detailed message on what the sam hill that thing is referring to.

Also, can you manually start the service? Will it start that way?

Event viewer doesn't say jack

Can't touch services PERIOD

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ok, so some services startup... are these services starting with the local system account or the domain admin account?
Has the password changed for the admin, or someone did anything with group\computer policies?
As for the windows installer just not doing anything that's probably because some service is not running on the DC.

What I would do is run through dcpromo and take it out of the domain and then run it again and put it back in the domain

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
SportyChick said:
What I would do is run through dcpromo and take it out of the domain and then run it again and put it back in the domain
Whoh, if you dcpromo that thing out of the domain... and it's on a company network, you're going to screw everyone up.

If Windows Installer is poopin' on you, I'd think it's geared toward a local service. Not that THAT matters so much as the wondering why it's not. :p

Do you have SP1 for 2003 Server on there?

Did this just become a problem out of the blue? Did you load a program or change something right before this started happening? Has it always done this since you loaded the OS on this server?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It started after loading the AV program, but I don't know if that is necessarily related. I put SP1 on at the same time as the AV program, then I rebooted the server. Now, of course, neither can be uninstalled since both require Installer to uninstall or install.

I might actually be okay taking it off the domain temporarily since everyone will just go to the other server for backup. All the same, I'd rather avoid this if possible.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Bock919 said:
It started after loading the AV program, but I don't know if that is necessarily related. I put SP1 on at the same time as the AV program, then I rebooted the server. Now, of course, neither can be uninstalled since both require Installer to uninstall or install.

I might actually be okay taking it off the domain temporarily since everyone will just go to the other server for backup. All the same, I'd rather avoid this if possible.

Speaking from past experience, don't do a Service Pack for Windows and install a program at the SAME TIME YA DORK! Ha, that HAS to be the problem.

I'll ask a few other guys here if they know of anything else, but you're screwed in my book.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah...I know that NOW
I just didn't really think about it since my other two servers were already running the program and the service pack with no issues. Ya live ya learn, right? Oh, and for the record, the program doesn't even require a reboot. No registry changes from it or anything of the sort. It's actually a pretty basic AV program.

My last resort might be running the repair off the 2003 disk when the teachers leave for the summer.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
ragdoll said:
Speaking from past experience, don't do a Service Pack for Windows and install a program at the SAME TIME YA DORK! Ha, that HAS to be the problem.
Bock919 isn't the "dork", it's the crap-ass Windows Server 2003, all Microsoft products are CRAP! Well at least server stuff, that's why we don't use it here at work.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
SportyChick said:
Bock919 isn't the "dork", it's the crap-ass Windows Server 2003, all Microsoft products are CRAP! Well at least server stuff, that's why we don't use it here at work.
If you don't even use it, why are you give him advice?? haha....don't hurt me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts