Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Magellan Explorist 300 handheld GPS unit that runs on 2 AA batteries only. I'm interested in cobbling up something that will allow me to run in on DC voltage. A trip to Radio Shack should find me all the necessary components but I have no idea how to build this thing.

I do have a soldering iron and a decent aptitude to build it, but need someone to diagram it and tell me what to do. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Are you looking to permanently alter it to ONLY use DC power? Or would you like to be able to use DC or battery power?

They seriously didn't bother to include a power jack, huh? That's kind of annoying.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Do a quick Google, there must be a ready made adapter to convert 12 volts to 3 volts or 1.5 volts. Your GPS takes (2) AA's but I'm not sure if they are wired in parallel (1.5v) or series (3v).

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
m51142 said:
Do a quick Google, there must be a ready made adapter to convert 12 volts to 3 volts or 1.5 volts. Your GPS takes (2) AA's but I'm not sure if they are wired in parallel (1.5v) or series (3v).
They exist, but it could still be a pain if the device doesn't have a jack designed for external power sources.

I'll be pretty surprised if it runs in parallel, but I've been surprised before.

BTW, I used to work at the Shack. Crappy place to work, horrible corporation, but they do have everything you need for this kind of job.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're not parallel, that is to say they're like a tv remote control, installed in opposite positions. Not like a flashlight where they're stacked.

I don't want it to be a permanent mod, maybe just something I can clip on for in the truck or on the bike but switch back to AA when walking around. I figure I could use some small alligator clips and quickconnects so it's completely removeable when on foot.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes an adapter will work, get it down to 3V. Then the only thing I think your missing is you need to run jumpers to the other poles of where the batteries connect. You could even use the old batteries to make the connection between the two points, just dont blame me if they melt!

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
I could do it for you, but I'm here and you are not.

You have to define what voltage source you are running the adapter from. Is it an auto or bike battery? Is it from wall AC? Is it from Sporty's pocket rocket? Get down with it, bro.

Remember, I am in the electronics trade, employed by a shiitt-bat company that RayRevolver knows about.

And why is this topic in anger management???????? Are you pissed off about this? Cause you should not be. Frustrated is an OK emotion, but not mad and pissed.

We may cogitate about this, but you need patience as it will not happen correctly overnight.
I need to study things away from this God forsaken den of pudnactabilitousness that I work in.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Use a set of 1.5v NiCd rechargeable. Just remember to connect the jumper wires to the + and - side that go to the GPS.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it'd be running off a cigarette lighter / power port in the truck.

it's in the Off Topic part of the Off Topic / Anger Management section, although I occasionally have anger issues it's nothing a nap doesn't solve. man I love naps.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
Yes, it is cheaper. But fuk walmart.

Actually, I meant Butt Fuk Walmart.

G

·
Question: Does the X300 have altitude/elevation?

I would skip all that and get the rechargables...look for 2500ma kind, they will last 8 times longer than normal AA.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Clear-a-Path said:
Question: Does the X300 have altitude/elevation?

I would skip all that and get the rechargables...look for 2500ma kind, they will last 8 times longer than normal AA.
The problem there is that he has to remember to recharge them. It was my understanding that he wanted to avoid batteries altogether, is that accurate Kevin?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.