Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I'll be changing the valve stems on the trailer wheels. Yes this requires removing all 5 wheels (one is a spare), breaking the bead, ripping out the old stems and installing new ones, going with the nice steel ones this time.

On the way from Jennings to Shands Hospital the day Carlos ate asphalt one of the tires slowly deflated, went wobble wobbly and exploded which forced a roadside tire change. Of course the spare tire was also flat, both were due to dryrotted and cracked valve stems.

Check those valve stems kids, they'll bite you in the butt.

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
Been there done that.......Almost had the truck and boat in the woods last year due to a blow out on the trailer while going around a curve. No it wasn't due to the valve stem but to dry rot which in turn weakened the side wall. No ones fault but my own!

Needless to say It won't happen again on my watch as I replaced all 5 tires and repacked the axle bearings. Stupid simple maintenance that I should have taken care of in the first place....

·
Power 2 the pedal
10,093 Posts
Good idea to check the spare in your tow vehicles as well. Murphy will always strike when you least expect it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spraying the tires (inside and out) and valve stems with armorall or a similar product will help prevent the dry rot and make your stuff look sooooooo sweet. I spray all the tires (including the spare) liberally and don't wipe it of. I just let it soak in. I also carry a cheap compressor in the truck for underinflated tires.

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Same here...armorall the tires a couple times a year...both for looks and protection. My 5th wheel setup has a single 7,000 lb axle so I can't afford to lose a tire on the road.
Just about ready to give it the preseason once over.
JohnnyB

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
tire manufacturers actully tell you not to put any tire dressing on the tire.

Another tip... backup your computer info. Data recovery isn't cheap.

Another tip. Don't smear peanut butter and honey all over your naked body and run through the deep woods.

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Tire Manufacturers like you to replace dry rotted tires with new ones.

Being a ******* and having numerous old vehicles sitting around for years I can say first hand that stuff like armorall does help prevent dry rot and cracking in the sidewalls.

On the subject of peanut butter, I just baited my "have-a-heart" trap with peanut butter to catch some chimpmunks. Only question is what grizzly death I'll subject my prisoner too when I get one.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I liberally use WD-40 on the inside of tires prior to putting them on and it also helps to put them on. For detailing, Armor All is nice. But, for storage I use WD-40 on the tire surface. Bearing check, every tire time the tire comes off.

I prefer peanut butter and fluff. It attracts a younger and hipper group of lesbians to lick it off than the peanut butter and honey.:001_tt1:

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
JohnnyB said:
On the subject of peanut butter, I just baited my "have-a-heart" trap with peanut butter to catch some chimpmunks. Only question is what grizzly death I'll subject my prisoner too when I get one.
JohnnyB
Go easy on them. Take them for a cruise in the side car and dump them off in an enemys yard.

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
You mean I shouldn't torch them with carb cleaner and a lighter?

These little suckers to major damage to a house out here in the country.

Ok ok...I'll just smash them with a hammer.
JohnnyB

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
JohnnyB said:
You mean I shouldn't torch them with carb cleaner and a lighter?

These little suckers to major damage to a house out here in the country.

Ok ok...I'll just smash them with a hammer.
JohnnyB

Just pick em' off with .22 CCI CB caps. Sounds just like a pellet gun.:surrender:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts