WristTwisters.com banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Squidword
89 Posts
Current map

Ottawa919, I'm running the stock map at the moment. I'm calling this week to schedule a dyno session. I am pleasently surprised that the RT-1s are not as loud as I had feared. I have a pair of their silencers on order, but I don't think I will need them. I was going to get two maps made, but I might be ok with just one.

Everyone I talk to recommended a dyno session, so I'm not sure why all the gripers blame the PCIII when they don't do it right. Am I missing something?

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
Ottawa919, I'm running the stock map at the moment. I'm calling this week to schedule a dyno session. I am pleasently surprised that the RT-1s are not as loud as I had feared. I have a pair of their silencers on order, but I don't think I will need them. I was going to get two maps made, but I might be ok with just one.

Everyone I talk to recommended a dyno session, so I'm not sure why all the gripers blame the PCIII when they don't do it right. Am I missing something?
No, you are not missing anything, but just accept that for whatever reasons, not all bikes respond the same way to the addition of a PC. One can often get excellent results from the pool of existing maps. But if you want the perfect map for your bike as configured, then a good dyno run is the way to go. But do remember that max power based maps will increase fuel consumption, and tend to not be ideal maps unless the engine is heavily loaded all the time. Seeing as EVERY 919 spends most of its life on the street, get one done that has reasonable Air Fuel ratios, likely a range of low to mid 13s. In addition, remember that the map subsequently perform best when the coolant temp is the same as the dyno run coolant temp. So make sure the coolant is up to temp BUT not too hot - which is easy to do, get too hot that is, as 919s have small rads for extended periods of high output. 919 cooling systems are of the larger liquid volume x smaller rad area type.

·
MSF blacksheep
721 Posts
No, you are not missing anything, but just accept that for whatever reasons, not all bikes respond the same way to the addition of a PC. One can often get excellent results from the pool of existing maps. But if you want the perfect map for your bike as configured, then a good dyno run is the way to go. But do remember that max power based maps will increase fuel consumption, and tend to not be ideal maps unless the engine is heavily loaded all the time. Seeing as EVERY 919 spends most of its life on the street, get one done that has reasonable Air Fuel ratios, likely a range of low to mid 13s. In addition, remember that the map subsequently perform best when the coolant temp is the same as the dyno run coolant temp. So make sure the coolant is up to temp BUT not too hot - which is easy to do, get too hot that is, as 919s have small rads for extended periods of high output. 919 cooling systems are of the larger liquid volume x smaller rad area type.
i <3 mcromo, he is right on with info and thinks along the same lines as i do.

do your 919 a favor and get a dyno tune. the pc3 can help as the bike runs stupid rich from the factory.

have you tried different maps from the g00g3it drop box?

·
Ginger-prick
1,215 Posts
Sorry for gravedig, but I just got a PCIII.
Where and how do I get a customer tune done?

Thanks

·
Ginger-prick
1,215 Posts
Thanks mang.

I called 5 places, two didn't have a dyno anymore. Of the other 3 these are the quotes I got:

Doc's Harley Davidson
3 hours at $125 per hour: $375

Cycle House Performance
$250 flat charge

Hot Rod Custom Cycles
$110 per hour.
I asked how many hours does it usually take, and they said, "usually never takes more than an hour"

So $110 for a custom map sounds really good!

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Hot Rod Custom Cycles
$110 per hour.
I asked how many hours does it usually take, and they said, "usually never takes more than an hour"

So $110 for a custom map sounds really good!
sounds about right timewise, and great price!!! just make sure they're good. if they keep tuning while the fan is running, tell them to shut it down, bike's already too hot and will affect the fuel mixture.

·
What?
428 Posts
other than smelling like a badass from the 919 stink, my non pc3 919 has zero fueling issues... low end is fine and not jerky.... id rather take the 300 bucks and put it in the tank in the form of gas! let alone the 500-600 total for a pc3 and custom tune.
+1

Or 900rr header conversion to a low pipe so the stink only gets on your tires.

Extra bonus - if you point it down it helps warm the road for riders behind you.

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
if they keep tuning while the fan is running, tell them to shut it down, bike's already too hot and will affect the fuel mixture.
Absolutely correct.
If the fan is on, you can not get proper mapping results as the ECU will be dumping in extra fuel as a quenching device that the sniffer and/or torque reading will pickup, and the tuner's response will be dialing in leanout corrections into the map, that will be out to lunch wrong when the coolant is at normal temps.
The coolant temp sensor as looped into the ECU does NOT correct this when the coolant temp is normal !
919s are very easy to screw up on a dyno if the above basic is not adhered to.
The fan should never be on when readings are being taken.

·
Super Moderator
11,205 Posts
$110 would be really good for a custom map if they can get it done in an hour. I took mine to a local place (after converting to 900RR exhaust) and they checked the A/F ratio at a few points and told me I didn't really need a PCIII. Cost me $50 and seemed like it was on the dyno for about 45 minutes. Those guys loved the 9'er. I don't think they had ever seen one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
EDFD, I might be interested in coming up for some dyno work at the same time (two 919's might make it even easier for him)

I've been super happy with my 4-1 exhaust and pc3, and have loved the much improved throttle (to be fair they were both installed at the same time though) However with this warmer weather the old crappy lurching and hunting at low throttle has returned, and she is starting to act more like her old self. I'm sort of bummed about it. All winter everything was buttery smooth. Perhaps I should yank the PC3 and see what it's like without?

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
They didn't tune it. The just checked the A/F ratio at a few points. Clean out you ears. :lurker-eating-popco
Exactly my point, but if they aren't familiar with the a/f ratio that 'works' for the 919 in the first place, how could you feel comfortable with their decision?

It's like a new cancer doctor that says "well, it looks like a lump, but not a dangerous lump, we'll leave it." Again, I say :surrender:

:lurker-eating-popco

·
Super Moderator
11,205 Posts
Exactly my point, but if they aren't familiar with the a/f ratio that 'works' for the 919 in the first place, how could you feel comfortable with their decision?

It's like a new cancer doctor that says "well, it looks like a lump, but not a dangerous lump, we'll leave it." Again, I say :surrender:

:lurker-eating-popco
The guy had lots of tattoos, so I'm sure he knew what he was doing.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
EDFD, I might be interested in coming up for some dyno work at the same time (two 919's might make it even easier for him)

I've been super happy with my 4-1 exhaust and pc3, and have loved the much improved throttle (to be fair they were both installed at the same time though) However with this warmer weather the old crappy lurching and hunting at low throttle has returned, and she is starting to act more like her old self. I'm sort of bummed about it. All winter everything was buttery smooth. Perhaps I should yank the PC3 and see what it's like without?
sounds like its not tuned properly imho

21 - 40 of 55 Posts