WristTwisters.com banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of ditching the PCIII as many 919 owners have quietly done. I have tried about 8 different maps both with the stock pipes and with my current Leo Vince dual slip-ons. I have not had it dyno tuned. Something tells me that the resulting custom map would not be a lot different from the ones I've tried. It's still a 919, right?

Anyway, all the maps have one thing in common: They make the bike less friendly during deceleration. The stock mapping is simply better. The difference is that no matter how fast I cut the throttle with the stock map, the bike/engine decelerate in a relatively calm and friendly fashion. When I cut the throttle with any of the other PCIII maps, the nose dives. There is also a lot less popping with the stock map. Rideability is otherwise fine with any of the maps. Acceleration is good and I can't really tell any difference in them at speed. I've checked mileage and also don't get much difference. Stink also doesn't change with any of the maps.

So why the F should I be using a PCIII? I am no expert rider but I have been riding 37 years and I can sense some things. I just rode 1300 miles with the Dynojet TBR map and it was ok....excpept for when rolling off the throttle. I have to do it really gently or otherwise get the nose dive.

Am I the only one? Or is it just me and the people who have removed and sold their PCIII?

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
If I had those results I might consider tossing it too! When you say stock map, are you just loading the zero map into the PC3?

I don't have those symptoms that you describe. I have experienced slightly better gas mileage and my low and mid range throttle response and power has improved. I look forward to getting it tuned one day. I also don't have any cold start issues which seems to be the end of several owners PC3's.

·
The chill Moderator
3,304 Posts
None of those issues here either. And I am sure when I get my new springs the front will start to behave under braking

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes when I say stock map I mean loading the zero map into the PCIII. I don't doubt that there are advantages possible with custom maps, but my bike just seems worse with whichever one I try. I don't have any cold start or other issues. The maps all work but I seem to detect the negative impact during deceleration. I seriously doubt paying $300 for a dyno tune and custom map "just for my 919" would be detectable. Did all you guys have fueling problems before the PCIII? My bike runs fine without it. I really want to believe that the maps do something good but i have my doubts based on my wrist and butt feedback.

·
Le So Cal Troll
5,766 Posts
other than smelling like a badass from the 919 stink, my non pc3 919 has zero fueling issues... low end is fine and not jerky.... id rather take the 300 bucks and put it in the tank in the form of gas! let alone the 500-600 total for a pc3 and custom tune.

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
In my case I felt that I lost something when I switched to aftemarket cans. Some low and mid snap and pull was lost and the PC3 brought it back and maybe then some.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I ditched my PCIII mainly because the bike would not start with it. After I removed it I found I liked the stock map better after so many years with the PCIII. Not saying it had more power on the stock map as I don't believe it does; but I do think the stock map is smoother & less abrubt off/on--opposite of what others may claim but I know what I felt/feel.

That said I have another bike you would need to pry the PC out of my cold dead hands. Some bikes NEED it & some don't. I think the 919 doesn't near as much. Just look at a map; the 919 numbers are really low, -1, -2, +4, etc. very little change. My other bike the numbers +22, +33, +17 etc.--huge changes.

One more note. My bike stunk more before the PCII & now stinks more again after its gone.

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
Get the right map for the particulars of your bike, and it all goes away.
My bike with the stock map was like a wall switch in low speed gear 1 crawls and it drove me nuts.
That was with the stock cans too.
Now, nicely mapped, I have phenomenal throttle control and absolutely no more of the wall switch characteristics.
I'd be checking the TP synching in a hurry, and I mean both the stock TP sych as well as the PC3 synch to the TP.
Something is not right.

·
Steve
497 Posts
I installed Micron aftermarket cans on mine and it runs exactly as it did with the stockers, it just sounds a lot better. I saw no good reason to spend $300 bucks on a PC3. I put that money towards a new set of Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bike with the stock map was like a wall switch in low speed gear 1 crawls and it drove me nuts.
Now, nicely mapped, I have phenomenal throttle control and absolutely no more of the wall switch characteristics.
I'd be checking the TP synching in a hurry, and I mean both the stock TP sych as well as the PC3 synch to the TP.
Something is not right.
Well I synchronized the throttle position using the PCIII manual instructions. I don't know what the second sync is. I took another look at the manual and website and don't see anything but the one type of TP sync. Please explain.

·
Allons-y!
864 Posts
Well, I'm glad someone posted this. I've been thinking of ditching my PC3. Doesn't seem to help as much as I'd thought it would, that, and I can use the cash for the purchase of other things.

·
Le So Cal Troll
5,766 Posts
lets just say this.... i know a guy who runs a moto shop... the guy used to be head mechanic for building honda usa's moto gp bike's motors (no joke... the guy still gets asked by honda to help develop moto gp / prototype stuff)... they had a 919 in the other day for a pc3 and tune... he managed to get ~ 6-7hp at the top and 1-3 most everywhere else if i remember correctly extra... and he knows his shit big time.... he netted 8+hp pretty much across the board outta my buddies ktm 690smc which is only 60hp to begin with.

not saying that pc3 is a bad thing for the 919... but from the stuff i have seen, i think money can be spent better elsewhere.

·
MSF blacksheep
721 Posts
id say your tps limits arent right, or in my case ... that little crimp style connector wasnt giving me a connection so my pc3 was thinking my bike was at idle the whole time and not adjusting via throttle input. i ended up soldering the two wires together and it runs much better as one would expect.

i believe my tps values in the pc3 are
4400 closed
276000 wide open

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id say your tps limits arent right, or in my case ... that little crimp style connector wasnt giving me a connection so my pc3 was thinking my bike was at idle the whole time and not adjusting via throttle input. i ended up soldering the two wires together and it runs much better as one would expect.

i believe my tps values in the pc3 are
4400 closed
276000 wide open
My connections look fine and the PCIII does work as I can tell subtle differences in maps and especially zero map. Either you have an extra zero in your wide open throttle number or I am doing something wrong. Mine are 4440 closed and 27032 open.

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
Well I synchronized the throttle position using the PCIII manual instructions. I don't know what the second sync is. I took another look at the manual and website and don't see anything but the one type of TP sync. Please explain.
The other synch I am referring to is that between the ECU and the TP, per manual section 5 page 73.
Actually, it's not a true synch procedure, but instead a check, sorry for misleading you.
In any event, it's a worthy check to perform given your bike's characteristics.

·
Left of Centre
3,902 Posts
Something is not right.
This is my experience, too, even with a bike that has no mech mods at all. Found a map to suit the non-USA stock set-up, and it's had all of the above benefits.

I'm sorry for your aggravation, but I'm +1 on the "something is not right" school of thought.

·
Squidword
89 Posts
Well guys, I just went the custom route. Finished my PCIII, Jardine RT-1s, K&N air filter install just this evening. I am going to get it dyno'ed soon. Just test drove it around the hood to make sure it was ok this evening, but haven't really ridden it yet.

Will report later.

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
Well guys, I just went the custom route. Finished my PCIII, Jardine RT-1s, K&N air filter install just this evening. I am going to get it dyno'ed soon. Just test drove it around the hood to make sure it was ok this evening, but haven't really ridden it yet.

Will report later.
What map are you starting out with?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts