Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know - If I were to tell my painter to paint the race plastics Ducati red is there a paint code or mixing instructions he could reference? What about base color?

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK - internet tough guy. I will.

(prick)

Found it myself:
The following is a list of paint codes and color sources that have been helpful finding a match for paint used by Ducati over the years. Most of these are for the more “modern” models. PAINT MANUFACTURER – PPG COLOR / PAINT CODE PPG / Metallic Black / 291.500 PPG / Ducati Red / 473.101 PPG / Ducati Yellow / 473.201 PPG / Metallic Grey / 291.601 PPG / Ducati Metallic Blue / 291.800 PPG / Dark (Senna) Gray/ PPG 0017 PPG / Gray Steel / 223.647 PPG / Titanium / 291.600

·
Power 2 the pedal
10,093 Posts
Another option that most paint shops offer, is a color match. If you take a piece in with the desired color, they use a specialized camera to pull out the correct mix of colors. I did this with my '00 R1, and the local paint shop matched the blue perfectly. The paint wasn't cheap, cuz it was a specific blend with metallic, but worth it to have the color match so well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Kevin, there's a local paint shop in Largo that can mix it for you.

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
SportyChick said:
Oh gawd, Kevin is talking to himself again.............
Bumping the post #'s.

A good painter will match it with a chip book. The light bouncing deal is OK but there are a couple things that'll change the finish. Base coat and primer, and the clear coat.

As a side note, just about every painter is crazy.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Ducati red is gay. Looks great on a stock bike, but this bike is no longer stock. I say do soemthing different.

I like Larry Pegrams old 748. It was gorgeous.

Or Doug Chandler's 999.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ducatis, like Ferraris, should only come red. Every thing else just doesn't quite measure up on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I kind of like the red. The Pegram colors are awesome, but probably more money then I want to spend right now.

But it is something to think about since I will need to get the plastics painted very soon. They came in on Friday, and seem to fit ok. Will probably have to "MAKE" some pieces fit. We'll post up some pics once everything is fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts