WristTwisters.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, finally managed to find and buy OEM Honda Center stand for my Hornet and by reading the instructions, it says I need to move a radiator and disconnect exhaust pipe as preparation for the install.

Just worried that my mechanical prowess might be lacking there, but wondering if anyone installed the original Center Stand and could share some tips?

·
McTavish
6,228 Posts
HI guys, finally managed to find and buy OEM Honda Center stand for my Hornet and by reading the instructions, it says I need to move a radiator and disconnect exhaust pipe as preparation for the install.

Just worried that my mechanical prowess might be lacking there, but wondering if anyone installed the original Center Stand and could share some tips?
Suggest you check out this thread from some years ago:

In essence, a section a bit wider than the header is chopped out of the top cross tube of the centre stand.
Personally, I didn't like leaving the centre open as a result, so came up with an easy way of dealing with that.
I don't know who the originator of it all was, but it was nothing short of brilliant.
And fret not about the loss of strength, it's been proved my many to not at all be any kind of a factor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Islandboy @mcromo44
Thanks guys, I looked into the quoted thread and found the following.

Procedure: Remove about 50 mm of tubing right out of the middle of the top tube of the center stand. That's the tube that it pivots on. Be sure to remove the pivot shaft as this is not cut. Just enough to fit over the lower part of the "Y-pipe".

Is that what it is? Unfortunately there are no longer any pics it seems Just before I butcher it, I was going to use my grinder to take that section out. And as per the post above - just confirming that the support is not compromised by taking it out?

·
919 Rider
2,679 Posts
Yes olympicwiz that’s it. Just cut 50mm out of the top tube, enough to fit over the exhaust. Remove pivot pin first, don’t cut that. I used a cutting disc on my angle grinder.
It won’t compromise the strength of the entire stand as there is a lower tube that is left intact as well as the pivot shaft/ pin.
I just use mine as a shop stand. With the tube cut the stand can be fitted and removed in seconds. I don’t install the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes olympicwiz that’s it. Just cut 50mm out of the top tube, enough to fit over the exhaust. Remove pivot pin first, don’t cut that. I used a cutting disc on my angle grinder.
It won’t compromise the strength of the entire stand as there is a lower tube that is left intact as well as the pivot shaft/ pin.
I just use mine as a shop stand. With the tube cut the stand can be fitted and removed in seconds. I don’t install the spring.
Hi, thanks for a quick reply, I was going to use it for parking as well as for the maintenance so I would need to install spring so it can be retracted. I suppose the cutting out the section won't impede on it? My only concern to have it exposed like that while I am riding is for dirt and various gunk getting into the tubing since it is exposed when I ride.

·
919 Rider
2,679 Posts
Cutting that tube won’t impede spring install or use as a permanent stand. See mcromo44 post on preventing crap from entering cut tubing. He had the same concern and a solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I measured the exhaust pipe width and will carefully grind that section out. Thinking of reusing it later by putting it back in place and taping the section up.
What I am perplexed about - how or where do you install the stopper - all it says in the stand manual - attach it to the sub assembly but I cannot see where!

·
Pokemon Master
66 Posts
Cool, I measured the exhaust pipe width and will carefully grind that section out. Thinking of reusing it later by putting it back in place and taping the section up.
What I am perplexed about - how or where do you install the stopper - all it says in the stand manual - attach it to the sub assembly but I cannot see where!
If your bike is not a California model, there's a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the frame. I took this picture while holding my phone on the bottom of the right side foot peg looking across the back side of the cat. The center stand tabs are visible in the picture; the bracket mounting holes are just above the axle of the center stand. I only install mine to do suspension work since I have a paddock stand I use for chain maintenance.

·
McTavish
6,228 Posts
That being your plan, refitment of cut out section that is, I'd strongly suggest hacksawing instead of disc edge grinding.
You'll remove way less material, and should have more control over the squareness of the cut, so less gap will result.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts