Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
IIRC, the motor will bolt in and work, but it doesn't look right. It's also slightly more powerful.

But, if you want originality: The original part number for the starter on the 1984 650 is 31200-ME5-000 which was replaced by 31200-ME5-405. This also happens to be the part number (and succession) for the starter on the 1984 Nighthawk 550. No surprise there, due to Honda being ridiculously fond of corporate parts binning. This is also the number for the 1983 Nighthawk 550 and 650 (again, not surprisingly). When you do a search for the 83 550's starter, you find this:

Honda 1983 CB550 CB 550 Nighthawk Starter Mitsuba SM 8 | eBay

Also if you want a rebuilt one: 1983 Honda CB550SC NighthawkStreet Bike*Rebuilt Honda Starter Motor Aftermarket Parts

Gotta love parts-bin engineering done well.

Edit: And if you search by part number, this guy has two on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB650...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3541b1fc&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So I got it to a point where the starter won't turn sometimes. The oil, taillight a neutral lights won't turn on sometimes. Sometimes it will try to start and sometimes it will have the lights on. And sometimes it starts to puff. What could this be?

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
Could be your key switch or bad connection(s) somewhere. At this point you'll need a wiring diagram and a multimeter.

·
Ian
3,313 Posts
My '83 cbx550f always was a pain to start even after a full rebuild of the top end and carbs. Replaced everything spark related, all fuel system etc etc. Still was hard to start.

A few weeks back after running it refused to restart. Turned out to be an intermitent contact inside the keyed ignition had finally failed. Swapped the ignition and now it fires immediately and runs perfect.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
It sounds like the electrical gremlins are running amok in your bike...which isn't terribly unusual in an old bike. check and clean the connections in the control pods and the ignition lock, and of course the grounds (like several folks have mentioned. Clean the battery terminals and connections in line with the motor. hell, check and clean em all, cause they will all need it, and your electrical system will love you for it by not releasing the smoke from inside the wires that makes it all work.

As for your starter, I'm sure it's gummed up with gunk from the ages. replacing the brushes is a good start. clean the hell out of the armature as well. starters are relatively simple electrical motors, if everything rotates freely it should be all right.

·
Need money for parts.
629 Posts
As for your starter, I'm sure it's gummed up with gunk from the ages. replacing the brushes is a good start. clean the hell out of the armature as well. starters are relatively simple electrical motors, if everything rotates freely it should be all right.
+1 for that. I bought one of those cheap Chinese atvs for my daughter. It was used and the starter didn't work. No recoil or kick on it so I tore it apart. Basically rebuilt the brush holders and cleaned the armature. If you've never done it, chuck the armature into a drill and use some 180 grit or so sand paper to clean it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I bought another starter from a honda that was similar and made a mount for it. Starts up fine now just have a small idling problem where it stalls out. Until I figure it out I just have to leave the choke on a little bit

·
2,361 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks around the carb isolators, especially at this age.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Stator is giving out I'm almost sure that this may be my idling problem or have some sort of relation to it.

·
2,361 Posts
Check idle voltage, then. Also, these bikes don't start charging until about 3000 or so.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Still should have nothing to do with battery because the stator should provide enough juice to run the bike and keep a proper idle.

·
2,361 Posts
Still should have nothing to do with battery because the stator should provide enough juice to run the bike and keep a proper idle.
The regulator/rectifier is a more common problem. That and no, the alternator (which includes that stator) does not provide enough electricity at idle to run the bike. At idle, it's actually running off the battery.

·
2,361 Posts
Yes and no. They charge up fast enough once they're moving, and they're happy to sit well above 3K in city work, unlike cars or even some other motorcycles. In most normal usage, it charges up and stays charged just fine.

A bad regulator/rectifier unit, however, can actually *drain* the battery at an accelerated rate.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts