Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I checked the ground wire and it seems good ill do a multimeter test on it tomorrow. Tried pushing it in gear to see if it has seized and it moves.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finally came around to pulling my starter off. Took it apart and the bushings are totally powder and gone. I think I've found the problem

·
Need money for parts.
629 Posts
Well there's your problem.lol.
Can you replace the bushings or is it new starter time ?
I ended up making some brass bushings for a Chinese atv that I bought for my daughter. Has worked for a few months now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I rebuilt the starter an the starter works now but the bike still doesn't try. I'm thinking the battery may not be pushing enough power through because it sounds weak but we will see. If it isn't that I'll check spark

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
Check the main fuses; clean the fusebox contacts and replace the fuses with new ones even if they look good. After that, then you check to see if the CDI box is 1) alive and 2) seeing anything from the crank pickup.

·
2,361 Posts
Check the kill switch again? Maybe it got bumped.
Also check the Black and White striped wire at the coils for power. If you don't have power there with the kill switch on, you definitely don't have it at the spark box - same circuit.

Honda decided to take the 'sledgehammer to the spine' approach to making damn sure the 80s bikes shut down if you hit the kill switch. It not only kills power to the coils, it also kills power to the CDI box itself, which was unusual for the time - Honda's CDI system is also unusual in that power to the coils doesn't run through the CDI box to the coils, which explains why Honda has it kill the entire circuit. There were some unfortunate incidents with early CDI boxes in the 70s involving bikes refusing to shut down or CDI boxes melting down/going on fire that I think Honda was less than interested in repeating with things bearing their logo.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,696 Posts
Finally came around to pulling my starter off. Took it apart and the bushings are totally powder and gone. I think I've found the problem
Good for you!

Now to see if it can be rebuilt or are you on the way to a junk yard or a shop for an OEM.

·
2,361 Posts
As in the ignition wouldn't provide spark any more or as in it just wouldn't catch and run? Keep in mind, it has a vacuum petcock.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I've came to the conclusion that my starter motor isn't strong enough. I pulled the sparkplug to check for spark and it fired up without pressure on one cylinder.
I can't find a new starter anywhere. Does anyone know another starter for another motorcycle that would work?

·
2,361 Posts
Usually you just need to rebuild the stock starter.

However, you might want to check resistance between the battery terminal and the starter.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts