Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 Honda nighthawk 650cc that won't start. I thought it was the battery but I replaced it and it won't start. I'm assuming it would be the starter because the solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't try.
I'm normally a car mechanic but this is my starter bike. Before I go replacing parts am I missing anything?

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
Manually jump the solenoid terminals to bypass it and see if the starter turns.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Is it locked up?Can you push start it.Or at least see, if you can get the engine to rotate while pushing it in gear.Try second, cluth pulled in, push it a bit (enough to get it rolling) let the clutch go should turn the engine over (carefull it might even start and take off on ya)...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be completely honest the other person that has more experience then me that I know is my best friend and he only has about a month on me and doesn't know how to push start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also I've seen it run clean the day before I had this problem so I doubt the engine is seized. I'll probably take the starter off and run power to check if its that.

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
K.I.s.s. principle. Kill switch?

·
Need money for parts.
629 Posts
yeah, of course I forgot to mention that. I have done that occasionally. (the kill switch fun that is)
although, my starter won't even click if the kill switch is tripped.

·
Need money for parts.
629 Posts
now that I think about it, i helped a buddy replace the starter on his 81 yamaha xs650 last year and it was doing the exact same thing. click, but no spin. only downside on his was that it involved draining the oil also.

·
Why's everything on fire?
2,361 Posts
Take the spark plugs out and turn over the engine with the rear wheel while in gear to make sure the engine is still free.

Goog - the 650/700 starter will spin even if the kill switch is set to off when you jump the two big terminals together with an appropriate sized conductor. The power path for the starter is battery positive to solenoid to starter, without anything other than the solenoid interrupting it.

Only other electrical possibility is that the ground between the engine/frame and battery is shot. Everything else is going to be mechanical failure; bad starter, locked up engine.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,696 Posts
Where do you live, town please.

We may have a member close at hand who might enjoy a ride to your crib to look at your bike with you.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts