Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

In the process (well waiting now) for my 07 919. Should be here in 2 weeks. Its got 19k (km) and single owner.

I am coming from an SV650 with both street and track experience (7 years). Got a whole bunch of questions!

I guess to start with and most important is suspension.
I was thinking of slapping in my gsxr front end (06/07 600 forks, 600 lower triple, 1000 upper triple and 600 wheel). Is this a bolt on affair or will it be a nightmare? Is this also recommended?
My buddy has an ohlins shock from an 04 599. Will this fit the 919? its the 46HRCL.

Last, any to do mods? Whats the exhaust thats most recommended?

Thanks All!

N4CR

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
nice one :D if you look for threads on the forum i believe somebody made the gsxr1000 front forks work fairly easily GL with the money pit

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol thanks :)

Not many choices for rearsets it seems? Whats a good bar replacement for someone tall?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Welcome, nice catch. I have the 06 version, same color.

There's a number of threads on front end swaps. I think the RC51 is the choice swap, others have been done and IIRC someone had machined some parts to get thing to fit.

I think someone took one of those shocks and had it reworked for the 919, one shock (don't remember which one) didn't fit quite right and mods had to be made. If you already have the shock, might be best to swap it for the correct one. The 599 might be the same name, but different bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome all :)

Sorry for all the questions. I am usually pretty good at searching and do so on my late nights staying awake. What are the problem areas for these bikes? What would you say are the best mods to do that would pay off or not be a waste of money?

I've never even sat on this bike before so i am really hoping it fits as i have 36" legs. A friend of mine used to have a hornet and he's a taller rider also and had no issue. Due to a TBI i cant get out and try things on for size so really hoping this works out or ill have to dump it

·
919 Rider
2,849 Posts
Welcome to the tribe. Nice clean ride.
For mods search is your friend. Try google "best mods wristtwisters.com". That should give some good results. Like Pair valve removal, flapper mod, 17t/44t sprocket ratio, power commander 111 etc.
Get a centrestand. Change out rear shock and get new a set of fork springs.
There is a set of Sato exhaust pipes for sale around here. Real nice.
I'm 6 foot 1 inch tall. The hornet 900 is fine for me. I just popped in some handlebar risers. I like the stock bars just wanted to be a little more upright.
Have fun emptying your wallet.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome all :)

Sorry for all the questions. I am usually pretty good at searching and do so on my late nights staying awake. What are the problem areas for these bikes? What would you say are the best mods to do that would pay off or not be a waste of money?

I've never even sat on this bike before so i am really hoping it fits as i have 36" legs. A friend of mine used to have a hornet and he's a taller rider also and had no issue. Due to a TBI i cant get out and try things on for size so really hoping this works out or ill have to dump it
Someone posted a link to a foot rest that allows you to move it down a bit. I get muscle cramps and really would like my feet to be down lower.

I think the Corbin seat and some of the mods to the stock seat can add a bit too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the tribe. Nice clean ride.
For mods search is your friend. Try google "best mods wristtwisters.com". That should give some good results. Like Pair valve removal, flapper mod, 17t/44t sprocket ratio, power commander 111 etc.
Get a centrestand. Change out rear shock and get new a set of fork springs.
There is a set of Sato exhaust pipes for sale around here. Real nice.
I'm 6 foot 1 inch tall. The hornet 900 is fine for me. I just popped in some handlebar risers. I like the stock bars just wanted to be a little more upright.
Have fun emptying your wallet.
Lol. My SV was fairly cheap fun and sold it for almost even. Seems similar to the SV scene except for the bars (SV was clip ons). Is the Ultra low recommended for tall riders? With the SV i had to adjust the rearsets but I am only seeing SATO and danmoto for options.

I had seen those sato pipes. Not bad but with such a low post count I'd be hesitant to sell to someone and not get scammed; just the nature of the beast

·
919 Rider
2,849 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I got scammed once. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
Delkevic make real nice exhausts. They are well made, sound nice and come in several options. I've got a pair. I'm using the Y link pipe that came with the delks to dick about with other pipe options.
I've no experience with rearsets for the 919.
Don't know about bar options either. I like the stock bars, vibes and all. Steel is real.
My back gets sore so I wanted to be a little more upright not lower.

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Hi All,

In the process (well waiting now) for my 07 919. Should be here in 2 weeks. Its got 19k (km) and single owner.

I am coming from an SV650 with both street and track experience (7 years). Got a whole bunch of questions!

I was thinking of slapping in my gsxr front end (06/07 600 forks, 600 lower triple, 1000 upper triple and 600 wheel). Is this a bolt on affair or will it be a nightmare? Is this also recommended?
My buddy has an ohlins shock from an 04 599. Will this fit the 919? its the 46HRCL.

Thanks All!

N4CR
Generally speaking, GSXRer USD front ends are shorter so one sacrifices geometry and ground clearance by using them.
Suggested is consideration of the use of F4i forks.
A serious set can easily be built, and with the substitution of a Traxxion compression adjuster, legit compression adjustment is realized.

F4i calipers give about 10 % more pad area, and have larger pistons.
Then select a nice radial master cylinder to go along with it plus braided stainless steel lines.

·
919 Rider
2,849 Posts
Webike japan has loads of stuff for the honda 919 including a few rearsets. All looks like good quality. All look expensive too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bike should be here in a week if Uship carrier doesnt walk away with it.

Guess the plan will be to replace the fluids first and the spark plugs, check the valves. Anything else i should do?

·
Moto-Doc
213 Posts
Start reading up about what to do with your new bike on this site. Welcome to WT!

·
919 Rider
2,849 Posts
+1 to the above.
These bikes and this site have been around for over a decade. It's all been done before.
Search and you shall find.
Your bike with such low km's and one owner should be mechanically sound. With the exception of neglect and abuse.
You probably won't know what needs attention and what you don't like until you've taken the bike for several rides.
Give it a service and a flogging.
Post some pic's too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks All!

N4CR
Hi n4cr

If you swap your front end, I will be willing to buy your forks .. I am also in the Toronto area

Thanks

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Webike japan has loads of stuff for the honda 919 including a few rearsets. All looks like good quality. All look expensive too.
Checked out that webike site. Holy jesus, 2 rearsets. 400 and 500us (Plus shipping and taxes and 3 months wait).

WIll likely start with drop bars. I dont mind the position of my track SV but its got the drop clip ons and rear sets. Wonder if it is better to go ultra lows, street fighters or highs. I've got long legs

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Checked out that webike site. Holy jesus, 2 rearsets. 400 and 500us (Plus shipping and taxes and 3 months wait).

WIll likely start with drop bars. I dont mind the position of my track SV but its got the drop clip ons and rear sets. Wonder if it is better to go ultra lows, street fighters or highs. I've got long legs
I'm 6 ft with long legs.
Using Renthal UL bars.
Stock pegs.
What helped huge was the Corbin seat, which raises the effective (taller + less crush) seat height quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

That's a pretty standard price for rearsets as far as I've seen

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm 6 ft with long legs.
Using Renthal UL bars.
Stock pegs.
What helped huge was the Corbin seat, which raises the effective (taller + less crush) seat height quite a bit.
What happen to those offset foot pegs that someone posted about a while back? IIRC, not too expensive and also allows more "boot room". Seems like someone could make an offset factory peg mount for pretty cheap.

If the Corbin adds 1" and the pegs add 1", with a bend leg, that should be a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts