Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon ALL,

For the past few weeks I'm getting a noise when moving off from a stop. It sounds like "bock, bock, bock" (sorry that's the best interpretation I can come up with) then it seems to disappear when I'm up to speed or perhaps I can't hear it 'cause of the wind noise, etc.

It's seems like it's coming from the rear of the engine area or rear wheel, but not entirely sure. I usually use the clutchless method when upshifting and clutch when downshifting.

Engine oil level is good,
Rear break caliper is secure,
Clutch is not slipping,
Noticed a crack in the exhaust mount bracket @ u/s of engine block,
Chain is adjusted properly,

Any suggestions??

Peace and ride safe

·
a.k.a. Macgruber
2,194 Posts
It sounds like "bock, bock, bock" (sorry that's the best interpretation I can come up with) then it seems to disappear when I'm up to speed or perhaps I can't hear it 'cause of the wind noise, etc.

It's seems like it's coming from the rear of the engine area or rear wheel, but not entirely sure.

I'd pull the seat & have a look inside the rear cowl

...sounds like you might have a chicken trying to hitch a ride. :laugh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL............that's really funny. OK can we get back to what may be the problem.

·
a.k.a. Macgruber
2,194 Posts
sorry man, I'm an ass-hat... couldn't resist. :lol:

I'll give it some serious thought & report back if I come up with something

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Good afternoon ALL,

For the past few weeks I'm getting a noise when moving off from a stop. It sounds like "bock, bock, bock"

Noticed a crack in the exhaust mount bracket @ u/s of engine block,

Chain is adjusted properly,
Is there a chicken in your intake?

It may pop if the exhaust is shifting around, but I would think it would be a single pop until hitting a different gear.

Sure it's adjusted. But has it been lubed properly? How old is it? When did you last service it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wat u talkin 'bout??? NO CHICKENS dammit!! I should have seem this coming.

Let's stay focused, please.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
Chain/sprockets.

·
STR-III
4,989 Posts
Like already stated, I'd check the chain and sprockets. When my chain was worn out, it made noise that was only audible from a dead stop or from a very slow rolling start.

Is there any way you can replicate the noise in a more controlled setting? Maybe put the bike on a secure stand (center or swingarm) and reproduce the noise.

Does it really bock like a chicken or is the sound more mechanical.

·
Why not?
309 Posts
is it a constant rate or does it speed up and slow down as you accelerate? is it a rubbing or grinding or mechanical?
a little more info could be helpful.
describe it the best you can or more completely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, yes it sounds like chicken but a chicken that would have a really deep bass tone.

Picture Barry White immitating the sound of a chicken......I know, not the prettiest picture but you get the idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only hear when I'm moving off. Not grinding or rubbing, more like low deep knocking, hence the "bock" reference.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
Chain/sprockets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, thanx. I'll do inspection chain/sprockets later tonite.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,618 Posts
I want you to look for hooked teeth on your sprocket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will do. Hooked sprockets are more likely to be on the rear, front or either?

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
I've had my 9er do what you describe twice. I looked it over and couldn't see anything wrong as far as wear. Replaced the chain and sprockets and it went away. I knew I was reaching the limit on mileage and wear so it wasn't a great risk anyway. Sprocket teeth looked just a touch pointed. Once the chain was off it was pretty easy to tell it was worn.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,618 Posts
Will do. Hooked sprockets are more likely to be on the rear, front or either?
I'm thinking more on the rear. When a sprocket is in bad shape, it will have a tendency to hold the chain roller then let it pop loose under load of take off. That is exacerbated by a tight chain.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts