Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the benefit of being able to nab some of the 3M Ultra fits from work from time to time and if I am riding a long ways I will use those and they work great for blocking out most everything. I did purchase the no-noise as well and it was dissapointing to me. Reminds me I should take the 3m's and toss them in the nonoise container so I will remember to wear them, since they are on my keychain, lol.

·
I'm THAT Guy
52 Posts
The first ones I used were some cheapo "high-fidelity acoustic filters" from eBay (click here to see them).

I've worn them multiple, multiple times and they work great for cutting out the wind noise and other higher-frequency sounds. My Sena 20S Evo sound quality is actually improved and I can answer calls without constantly saying, "WHAT?! WHAT?! THE WIND IS... WHAT?!"

The biggest complaint I have about them is when I put my helmet on, I can feel them pressing the air inside my ear canal against my eardrum. See... the silicone forms a hermetic seal inside the canal and when the extra pressure gets applied from the helmet, it causes just a bit of discomfort. When my helmet is on, there is still just a little bit of pressure, but it's nothing majorly uncomfortable.

The other complaint I have about them is that, for whatever reason, they can become dislodged when I put my balaclava on. It's like the middle flange is just a hair too small and the outer (biggest) flange is just a hair too big. However, once my helmet is on and they're seated, it's pretty much fine.

Now... onto the good stuff.

My latest investment have been Loop Earplugs (click here to see them). I went with the Experience model, which is more expensive, but has an NRR of 20dB, so it doesn't kill all outside noise. They come with both silicone and foam tips so you can figure out which ones you like better.

I settled on using the foam tips. They have a little give to them, eliminating any discomfort when I put my balaclava or helmet on. They stay seated perfectly fine due to the loop that sits inside your ear and they're flush enough to where my helmet does not interfere with them. They are also more comfortable in general, the foam not causing as much pressure as the more pre-formed silicone.

Yes, they were expensive, but I received a 20% off coupon code from them just by e-mailing them and asking if they had any active coupon codes. I plan to order additional foam tips after a couple months because I don't see these lasting for more than a couple months of regular use.

I've been tempted to order a second set to wear on the construction projects I'm always on. Sure, they might get some weird looks and the usual construction worker comments, but they're just awesome.

·
I'm THAT Guy
52 Posts
Update on Loop.

The left one is having trouble staying seated in my ear. I think it has something to do with the way my ear is shaped, so I'm going to get with Miracle Ear and see if I can get some custom-molded acoustic filters made. Health insurance should cover most of it, so...

·
Pokemon Master
74 Posts
I cannot hear my SMH10R's at anything above 60mph with the Nonoise plugs. Sounds like there are indeed better options on the market. Thanks guys!
NRR 34 plugs from Walgreen's, easy to replace as they get gross. I have aftermarket speakers for my navi, which I needed since it's a Sena, and have never had trouble with sirens or horns or similar. I used to have an RPHA 11, honestly not that quiet compared to the RF 1200. The RPHA is amazing for air flow, which is the opposite of quiet.
The first ones I used were some cheapo "high-fidelity acoustic filters" from eBay (click here to see them).

I've worn them multiple, multiple times and they work great for cutting out the wind noise and other higher-frequency sounds. My Sena 20S Evo sound quality is actually improved and I can answer calls without constantly saying, "WHAT?! WHAT?! THE WIND IS... WHAT?!"

Have you guys updated the firmware on your Sena units? There was an update that increased the volume range for my SMH-5FM that made all the difference. I also found a battery that was almost double the MaH of the original that fits in the unit and it's been great. I get at least 15 hours out of a charge now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I checked the firmware history, mine's recent. The 10R's use a remote battery pack that slots into a mounting clip that makes it basically unremovable once clipped in, so I'd love to have 15hrs between charges but no dice for me I think.

·
I'm THAT Guy
52 Posts
Have you guys updated the firmware on your Sena units? There was an update that increased the volume range for my SMH-5FM that made all the difference. I also found a battery that was almost double the MaH of the original that fits in the unit and it's been great. I get at least 15 hours out of a charge now.
I desperately need to. It has a couple glitches that I feel could easily be fixed by the firmware updates.

As far as an earplug update goes, I'm still having okay luck with my Loop acoustic filters. It's just that left one still won't stay put full-time. I consulted with Miracle Ear about getting professionally molded acoustic filters, but they said health insurance does not cover them (kind of dumb if you ask me). All in all, the representative said it would cost a couple hundred dollars! I know you can't really put a price on your hearing, but let's be real... if health insurance won't cover it, I'm out!

Decibullz has two different custom molded acoustic filters that are far more reasonable. The first are their basic high-fidelity custom earplugs. These run $39.99 and reduce mid and high frequency sounds by about 12dB, which would still take some of the edge off the wind noise, but I feel like they wouldn't be enough. Granted, they'll basically cut the volume in half, but my Loops reduce it by roughly 20dB, which reduces it by half, then half of that.

The second are the high-fidelity pro custom earplugs, which currently cost $79.99. They reduce the mid- and high-frequency sounds by 17dB, which is comparable to the Loop. As a bonus, they should offer a much better fit than the Loop. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to bite that bullet right now. Maybe in a few weeks?

·
I'm THAT Guy
52 Posts
Update on the Decibullz custom-molded pro-filter earplug things.

They stick out of my ears entirely too far to be comfortable. The pressure isn't really BAD, but it would get really old after a couple hours of riding. It seems like the only way I'm ever going to be able to have a decent set of acoustic filters that don't fall out or stick out or whatever is to get 100% custom-molded ones, and those are not cheap ($170+). Maybe with my Christmas bonus or tax returns? Hell... that's a new pair of riding jeans or boots, a jacket, two pairs of gloves...

I may try my second set of Decibullz (they sent two pair of the molding pieces) to see if I can push the filter piece deeper into my ear so it doesn't stick out as far.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
Any earplugs are better than none. They're cheap and disposable. It ain't like you gotta get up and make coffee for 'em...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts