Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Saturday night I was on my way home, not really riding that fast, just out cruising around.
Was on a 1 lane (per side) road, that goes to 2 lanes for about a mile then back to 1 lane.

Decided to pass a string of about 8 or so cars in the 2 lane section and get out front before it went back to 1 lane.
Hit a red light just before it went back to 1 lane.
Looked in my mirrors and there was an unmarked Charger with the lights on.
He must have been in the string of cars and I didn’t notice.

He was out of his car and pissed, didn’t want me to pull over had me shut off my bike right in the road.
I think he was worried I would run.
Had me go back and sit in the front seat of his car while he gave me my ticket.
I was completely polite and cooperative.
96 in a 55.
Said he could take me to jail but wasn’t going to.

Suckiest part was I was literally only speeding for 2 seconds, but just happened to be right past the cop.
Wasn’t prior and wasn’t going to go crazy once I was around the cars either.
I guess I know now why they were all going slow.

Court date isn’t until September.
I’ll get an attorney and see what they think they can do with it, and how bad it will likely be.
Thankfully it was in Johnston County (country) and not Wake County (Raleigh), Wake is a bitch for speeding tickets.

I’ve got an attorney picked out that came highly referred from a friend who has used him, got a 20 over ticket reduced to an improper speedometer violation.
And lots of positive google reviews and a couple of his reviews seems like he’s helped with getting some bad tickets reduced significantly.
Honestly with this one, I’ll be happy just not getting a temporary license suspension.

I’ve had good luck with attorneys and tickets before (dismissed or non-moving violations), but never anything this bad.
Currently have one ticket in the past 4 years (and only other in the past 7 or so years was reduced to a “muffler violation“).
Previous ticket was 59 in a 35 but got it reduced to 14 over and used my prayer for judgement to keep the points off my record and insurance, that was Wake County though and they don’t like to deal.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think it was those yellow wheels that pissed him off. Didn't I tell you to paint those things, a long time ago?

Last year, I was riding with a couple of guys. One of them was a state trooper. I passed a pick-up pulling a John boat, just before a really nice set of curves. Turns out the dude pulling the John boat was a conservation officer. Got it for passing on a double yellow. I just paid the ticket. It wasn't the end of the world.

That's just the price of doing business.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was those yellow wheels that pissed him off. Didn't I tell you to paint those things, a long time ago?

Last year, I was riding with a couple of guys. One of them was a state trooper. I passed a pick-up pulling a John boat, just before a really nice set of curves. Turns out the dude pulling the John boat was a conservation officer. Got it for passing on a double yellow. I just paid the ticket. It wasn't the end of the world.

That's just the price of doing business.
The style of bike can make a difference.
This one attracts attention, while the SDGT with panniers on made you appear more mature to the “untrained” eye.

Although this was blowing by him, so probably wouldn’t have mattered.
I’m just glad I didn’t go WOT banging through all the gears or I would have been at 120-130 and been in jail for sure.

Problem I have with paying tickets is the points and potential insurance rate hikes.
IMO, spend a bit more up front on an attorney.
I’ve paid $150-$200 flat attorney fee for previous tickets.
They handle everything for you, never had to personally appear in court.
This one might cost more though.

And I can’t just pay this one.
Mandatory court date, no fine amount on the ticket.
I guess it’s up to the DA and the Judge.

·
McTavish
6,364 Posts
Sad story so far, and oh so easy to happen.
Who of us has not fallen to the temptation of an oh so easy nice squirt to blitz a string before the passing zone ends?
Good luck with your efforts to obtain less pain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How fast do you think you were going?
It was probably around what the officer stated.
I wasn’t paying attention to my speedometer.
Didn’t even know I was pulled till I was stopped and looked in my mirrors.

It wasn’t a completely isolated section of road.
The left lane I was in ended as a turn lane, so I either had to be in front of everyone or take off from the left turn lane and blast in front of traffic (which I’ve done before there, there is plenty of room on the other side of the road for the maneuver).

I could see the light turning yellow and I wasn’t going to make it back in the right lane in front of the lead car safely while having to stop quickly (it was a long string of cars) so I held back some and stayed in the left lane, knowing I would blast in front on the green light.

When I go balls out/WOT passing just 2-3 cars I am at 120-130 (on the speedo) by the time I’m around the lead car, and I wasn’t going that fast.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I was just joking about the wheels. I've always liked bright colors.

I hate to be the dad in the group. But if you're going an indicated 130 on the street, three things can happen. And 2 of them are bad. Tickets are temporary. You're a pretty cool guy. I'd hate for you to get hurt, or worse. Take it a little easy from here on.

Good luck on the ticket. I'm betting the outcome won't be that bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's not the price of the ticket that hurts, it's the several years of significant increase in insurance costs that really bites you. Best to keep a lid on that throttle. The 919 goes to 100 so fast you can hardly believe it.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,667 Posts
It's not the price of the ticket that hurts, it's the several years of significant increase in insurance costs that really bites you. Best to keep a lid on that throttle. The 919 goes to 100 so fast you can hardly believe it.
I think the judge is going to take the officers testimony on your speeding very seriously. This isn't going to be a walk in the park but good luck. I would consider traffic school if I were you.

·
McTavish
6,364 Posts
I think the judge is going to take the officers testimony on your speeding very seriously. This isn't going to be a walk in the park but good luck. I would consider traffic school if I were you.
I gotta laugh.
Decades ago I got bagged by the son of the chief of police.
It was a 6 point ticket on top of two others in the last 3 weeks, so I was staring at 12 points in a month and an automatic interview with arbitrary suspension rights held by the panel.
Meanwhile, I'd just got a company car for my traveling sales job.
We're talking serious ungood here.
At my first court date I tried to, um, "negotiate" with the prosecutor in court before the proceedings started.
He gave me this mocking grin and asked me "what do you think we are, on commission?"
I ended up having the last laugh by getting off on the 3rd date, and the same prosi' was on duty that day.
He ended up spitting nails he was so pissed off.
But I knew how extremely lucky I was, so didn't smile too big at him after the ruling.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had an 18 month or so stretch down in Lee, Harnett, and Cumberland counties where I earned myself a new performance award every three months or so. Going back and forth to work on the 919 between Sanford and Fayetteville on NC 87/24. If I recall correctly, they were all reduced to equipment violations, even for 30+ over the limit, with the help of an attorney. I eventually earned myself a repeat customer discount with the firm. With the right lawyer, I think you'll be alright.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an 18 month or so stretch down in Lee, Harnett, and Cumberland counties where I earned myself a new performance award every three months or so. Going back and forth to work on the 919 between Sanford and Fayetteville on NC 87/24. If I recall correctly, they were all reduced to equipment violations, even for 30+ over the limit, with the help of an attorney. I eventually earned myself a repeat customer discount with the firm. With the right lawyer, I think you'll be alright.
I’m hoping so.
This is in Johnston County (where I live), court in Smithfield.
From what I’ve been reading seems like it might be kinda laid back “good ol boy network.”
Not as much as the counties you were in though.

Definitely better than a ticket in Wake county.
That ticket in Wake would have been nearly impossible to get them to budge.
At least in Johnston I have a chance for some reduction/leniency.

The officer worries me a bit though.
He was a very young state HP trooper, so not sure if he’ll have “something to prove.”
He kinda came off that way, but then again I blew right by him, and my bike is loud as shit.
Probably startled the hell out of him.

·
919 Rider
2,799 Posts
Yeah loud bikes do tend to piss people off. Especially when you blast past them and they aren't expecting it.
Good luck mate.

·
'02 919
33 Posts
Being polite after being pulled over helps. They write down notes after the stop on your attitude/personality. That helped me some years back when I got ticketed for 70 in a 35. That was a small town speed trap that really just wanted the revenue. lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
That could have been me.

A few years ago, I was heading south on I-65 in Tennessee. There are a few long uphills where the semis slow down, go side by side, and start backing up traffic. Throw in a couple of RV's driven by soccer moms and you have a mess. You know the drill. Everybody is tailgating and jockeying for position and there I am in the middle of all of it. This is the worst case scenario for me. Anyhow, as we approach the top of the hill, and knowing things will spread out a bit, I do my usual. When I see a gap, I'm down 2 gears, nail it and plan to blow past the jam and get into clean air. I've distanced myself a bit on the downhill and as I come past a tree line, a trooper is sitting there, facing traffic and hits the blues. I pass him and immediately pull over. He literally had to drive less than 100 feet. I get off, pull my helmet and all of that gray hair shows up. We do the drill. License, registration, etc. In Tennessee, it is customary to had the officer your carry permit with your license. He asks if I'm armed and I say yes, and gesture to my jacket napoleon pocket with my chin. He said OK, keep your jacket zipped up and we'll be fine. So... he goes back there and there I sit, boiling hot, with my leather zipped, thinking... this is gonna be bad. He returns a few minutes later. Why were you going so fast, blah blah. Why did you stop? Most of you guys drop a gear and are gone! I said, "You hit the lights so I stopped like I'm supposed to."
He went on... "I clocked you at 105. If I write it up that way, you're going to jail. But, you stopped and you've been courteous. How about I write you up for 78? If this is your first stop in the county, you can go to court and probably donate money to the drug fund to keep it off your record. Deal??

Me... "Yes sir!!!!"

Court, $100 to the drug fund. No points. I'm good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts