Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just picked this little thing up yesterday! I recently broke my 8 year old Mongoose so I needed an upgrade.

Specs:
2005 Model- Haro Werx 7 w/7" rear travel 170mm front travel
Manitou "Sherman" forks with 20mm through axle
Manitou "Swinger" 4-way rear shock with SPV valving (reduces pedal-bob)
Sun Ringle MTX rims
Hayes Hydraulic brakes with 8" rotors
Shimana Deore XT running gear
Truvativ Holzfeller cranks
Truvativ Holzfeller stem
Truvativ Holzfeller bars
SDG I-beam seat/post

Its a :tank: of a bike but I like it. I think its about 7lbs or so heavier than my other bike and geared more towards downhill/freeride than all mountain. I'll get used to it though.

It was a spur of the moment buy from a local bike shop. I had been dealing with another bigger shop on pricing out a Santa Cruz Heckler when I popped into the small shop. Owner walks up to me and says, "Today only, this bike I will sell to you for $2k!" It was listed at $2800. I thought about it and said, "Sold!" I think it suprised him a little. He said they built it strong and for a "Big Guy" but they had no one to sell it to. I guess timing is everything.

Now, where to go drop of some cliffs...:punk:

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
Nice! Nice!

Dave! DUDE!:w00t:

I am drooling here. :drool: :drool: Very nice MTB. I have one, but is always the problem, the frame barely a 27" frame.

That looks nice - dual shock and DUAL DISCS! Very nice man. :w00t:

Mike.

·
Left Hand Suzuki Method
844 Posts
Nice bike man... seven inches of travel is a bit much for any cross country single track stuff but I bet you can huck that sucker off a couple of berms and ride away nicely. Just watch that front axle as I would have opted for a 20mm in lieu of the drop out (with that much travel).

I've got an Orange Sub5 (130 mm front and rear) and it's just beyond the idea of racing. At about 30lbs, shes a blast to ride and keeps me in shape trying to push her through corners. Plus, spanking my buddies on hardtails is fun too... muwahhhaa!

If your in Seattle, take a trip up to Whistler and bounce around on the freeride park. And while your there, take some pictures. I've always wanted to go.

Nice scooter! :thumbup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I cant really see that good can you get a bigger pic attached? :D

Man, Im too embarrassed to tell yall what I bought 2 yrs ago. :D

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
QUOTE=XFBO]I cant really see that good can you get a bigger pic attached? :D

Man, Im too embarrassed to tell yall what I bought 2 yrs ago. :D[/QUOTE]

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
SWEET... but your right... basically a downhiller not a single track bike...

If you like to downhill though... its perfect!

In my neck of the woods... no place to downhill unfortunately.

CONGRATS!

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
That is a nice component choice of XT. Shimano has always shined with XT XTR(not that I would ever pay what they ask for ETX)

I like it.

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dayrock said:
Nice bike man... seven inches of travel is a bit much for any cross country single track stuff but I bet you can huck that sucker off a couple of berms and ride away nicely. Just watch that front axle as I would have opted for a 20mm in lieu of the drop out (with that much travel).

I've got an Orange Sub5 (130 mm front and rear) and it's just beyond the idea of racing. At about 30lbs, shes a blast to ride and keeps me in shape trying to push her through corners. Plus, spanking my buddies on hardtails is fun too... muwahhhaa!

If your in Seattle, take a trip up to Whistler and bounce around on the freeride park. And while your there, take some pictures. I've always wanted to go.

Nice scooter! :thumbup:

It does have the 20mm through axle, no dropouts. With the SPV valving in the forks and shock it eliminates pedal bob pretty good. Still too heavy to be a XC bike but I will push it around as best as I can.

Ya I want to get up to Whistler this summer and do some downhill runs.

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WIM-RC51 said:
Dave! DUDE!:w00t:

I am drooling here. :drool: :drool: Very nice MTB. I have one, but is always the problem, the frame barely a 27" frame.

That looks nice - dual shock and DUAL DISCS! Very nice man. :w00t:

Mike.
Thanks! I love the thing already. Thing I will go for a ride right now! :cool2:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Dave, nice ride. You're not a "lilliputten" by any means so the weight shouldn't be a biggie for single tracking and cross-country. You know you won't be destroying that thing any time soon.

I love when the posiers of the MTB world start bragging about the latest Ti set they just installed for $$$ and how they saved 200g. But, they're carrying an extra 10-20kg on their frame?:death:

·
Left Hand Suzuki Method
844 Posts
Evad101 said:
It does have the 20mm through axle, no dropouts.
Hugh, I must have missed that in the small picture! SPV rules, that's for sure. Just never stop pedaling, it's all about cadence!

I may have an Orange but my true rig is the hardtail. I'm one of those weight saving XC racing punks. Just because I bought a TI bolt set to save 10 grams is cause I can, lol! It becomes an addiction... lightweight saddle, bars, pedals, taking stickers off the bike. It's all part of the "XC racing" community. Who can get their bike the lightest. I'm ragging in at 22 lbs with 1.9 tires and no water.

And don't give me the lecture about carrying less water or losing weight. I'm an in shape soccer brat that can ride for days.:alucard:

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RC51_CBRXX said:
Dave, nice ride. You're not a "lilliputten" by any means so the weight shouldn't be a biggie for single tracking and cross-country. You know you won't be destroying that thing any time soon.

I love when the posiers of the MTB world start bragging about the latest Ti set they just installed for $$$ and how they saved 200g. But, they're carrying an extra 10-20kg on their frame?:death:
Thanks! Thats my thoughts exactly. I want it tough so my fat, but get skinnier, ass wont break it. Pushing around a 35lbs bike for me is no big deal. Its like runners who where ankle weights. I'm just lifting more! Its all part of the work out plan. I'm down to 275lbs riding MTB's and hope I can drop some more. Ultimate goal is to get down in the 265lbs range and have more endurance. This in turn will help my RC51 racing effort.

I can see now though this MTB thing is getting very addicting to me. If I ever say I am selling the moto for a better bike, shoot me please! :2guns:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
dayrock said:
...I'm one of those weight saving XC racing punks. Just because I bought a TI bolt set to save 10 grams is cause I can, lol! It becomes an addiction... lightweight saddle, bars, pedals, taking stickers off the bike. It's all part of the "XC racing" community. Who can get their bike the lightest. I'm ragging in at 22 lbs with 1.9 tires and no water...
dayrock, sounds like if you have the skills. My hats off. Being light with trick stuff has always been the ballz.

My competitive days in MTB are behind me. It's just recreation for me now. Some of my best favorite memories are from MTB'ing, my first Stumpjumper (back errrrrr, in 90) barebones 15sp no suspension. Being part of the beginnings of NORBA in New England. Being a product junkie. The first Rock Shox, AMP Research, FOX, etc.:thumbup: Seeing how many hardtailed Cannondales I could make crack, my first Trek Ti, DBR,.......

Now you a$$hats have me thinking about "pulling the trigger" on a new ride I don't have time to ride. I've been eyeing a SantaCruz (just can't justify the price:use factor) and a Marin (much better value).

G

·
I am a mountain bike pervert. I have pictures aof all my bikes but they are too big to fit on here. I manage a race team. We race downhill at the pro level. Our companies website morewoodbikes.com
If I can figure out how to post I will put one of my newest dh rig.

Attachments

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tomvan72 said:
I am a mountain bike pervert. I have pictures aof all my bikes but they are too big to fit on here. I manage a race team. We race downhill at the pro level. Our companies website morewoodbikes.com
If I can figure out how to post I will put one of my newest dh rig.
Nice looking bikes! I will have to hit you up for info as get more technical and involved in DH.

G

·
Mo problem. I am also the national Sales manager for the company and Have about 13 years of racing experience. Not bragging. Just layin it out there!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
tomvan72 said:
Mo problem. I am also the national Sales manager for the company and Have about 13 years of racing experience. Not bragging. Just layin it out there!
Well hook a brotha up.:thumbup:

·
The Guy passing you...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tomvan72 said:
Solid!

I dont need anyting yet but give me time, i'm bound to break something. :wheelchair:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.