Happy new year to all of you!
I just wanted to provide an update on this never ending build!
Maintenance list for this winter;
- Oil & filter change
- Check & adjust valve clearance
- New air filter
- New plugs
- New tires
- New wheel bearing
- New stearing bearing
More interestingly 4 major modification projects I want to accomplish for this winter,
- Project 1, Custom carbon fiber adjustable rear sets.
- Project 2; Custom rear end fairing.with integrated tail light and flashers.
- Project 3; Replace oem speedo/tach assembly by a compact digital one.
- Project 4; New custom front fairing with integrated headlight/flashers.
- Project 5; Fit unknown aftermarket 900rr headers I picked up a few years ago.
Completing all of them might be a hard to achieve this winter, I may need postpone to some to next year.
Onto with project #1
First question you may ask is why? Well why not?
But seriously, I dont like spending money on things I can do myself especially if there is some learning I can do in the process.
. Design is obviously the easy part for me, but the learning challenge I give myself is making them out of forged carbon with 3d printed crompression molds.
Process I will go through:
1) Initial 3D design of the parts;
I started with taking initial measurements from the OEM left side rear set to kickstart my design.
I also looked at alot of rear set designs to get inspired before starting.
Note, this CAD picture beyond V1 which is what has been printed so far.
2) 3D printed samples of V1 and fitment check
Initial fitment looks pretty good IMO,
For the next iteration, I will design an adjustable shift link and add a foot peg.
This should allow me to test actualy shifting with the 3D printed PLA parts as long as they can take the load.
I took notes of what to fine tune in the next iterations directly on the 3d printed part.
Since I have slots running vertically, I ribbed the mating surfaces.
This will prevent any slipping in case of under tightened hardware or a heavy rider like me jumps on the foot pegs.
The ribs are spaced out by 5mm increments which define vertical adjustability.
Front to back adjustment is defined by which set of slot you use.These are spaced by 15mm and will have a 3rd set on the version 2.
For clamping hardware, I have these 316 SS torx m6 screws laying around we see in the pictures above.
I need to adjust my counterbore to fit them properly, for the nut side, I intend to use M6 weldnuts to obtain a flush rear surface.
I incorporated grooves on the back face to block the weldnut rotation while tightening.
4) finish design tweaks, reprint and fit check until I'm satisfied.
5) Design right side with braking system
6) Print left side and fit check.
7) Print final design with carbon fiber reinforced filament. I dont plan on riding on these plastic rearsets but I am extremely curious how strong of parts I can 3D prints.
8) Next its to design the compression molds
9) First attemps at making parts.
I will keep posting updates on this project when ever I can!
Feel free to share comments, feedback etc.
If you made is this far, thanks for reading my long posts!
(edits: grammar, editing content, adding details)