Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Back from the dead after a long time away from this form (and from my bike, for a variety of reasons). But I'm back now, super excited to get back riding. =)

One thing I'd like to do is get a better light. I know I could get some of those knock-offs but I'd like to get some really good night output. The Morimoto Sealed7 caught my eye, and it's easily available here in Canada. My plan would be to follow carotman's idea from : Truck-Lite LED Headlight installation with a new trim ring and a few mods to the 919 bucket.

But before I bite the bullet, just thought I'd ask - has anybody done this? Or done a similar conversion, recently? My searches seem to show threads that are a couple of years old.

Thanks much!

·
Tirone?
1,317 Posts
Looks like an awesome headlight ... if you had it up on a car. I don't have this installed, but I recently did go through a LED headlight replacement on my 919. The light cutoff will be too sharp if riding any corners at night. If you're going to spend that kind of money, go for something like the jw speaker setup which has cornering lights or get additional aux flood lights which is the path I'm going.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but that JW is just too much money. The Morimoto is already more than I wanted to spend but I'm ultimately ok with that: the JW is in another league entirely.

Regarding corners : totally agree. But I guess my question is : would the Morimoto perform worse in corners than the stock headlight...?

·
Tirone?
1,317 Posts
Stock headlight has lots of glare shining off in all kinds of directions so even 10% lit is better for cornering than 0% when the cutoff is so sharp. For me it was at 11 at night and pitch black going around a moderately tight 270 degree highway offramp. I couldn't see shit past the cutoff which was maybe only 20 ft in front of me due to the lean angle . I had to slow down to less than 15mph to see where I was going.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I now see what you mean, thanks. Actually, you gave me an idea with the whole floodlight thing. That headlight also has amber subsections, to be used as turn signals. I could then repurpose the turn signal mounting locations as mounting points for small LED floodlights, which could presumably solve that problem you mentioned. I'm assuming that seeing as it's all LEDs, current draw shouldn't be an issue.

In any case - I've already ordered the light. :). I'm ok with having to slow way down in an offramp situation if the forward vis is good - and it should indeed be stellar with that unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts