Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Northern California, we're in the middle of Winter as of Feb 5... it's going to be 70 deg F today with clear skies. One of the driest starts in a good while, with no real rain in the extended forecast in what is supposed to be the wettest part of the year.

·
Super Moderator
11,209 Posts
It's been a pretty mild winter here, but a big temp drop is coming soon from a high of 62 deg F on Thursday to a low of 18 deg F on Friday. :surprise:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a pretty mild winter here, but a big temp drop is coming soon from a high of 62 deg F on Thursday to a low of 18 deg F on Friday. :surprise:
Mid West? 18F sounds like mid west or even east, but 62 doesn't sound like east coast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For me, tomorrow has a high of -1°F, with a windchill of -28°F...spring couldn't come sooner! I just purchased some new boots and gloves so I can't wait to get out and use them

·
Old, Bold rider
2,480 Posts
Winter here in Denver has been a bitch! In the last two months I can count the number of days over sixty degrees on the fingers of one hand. On the other hand I'd need at least 30 fingers to keep track of low temps below fifteen degrees (F), and highs below thirty two. Add to that just after a couple of days above freezing the temp plummets as soon as the sun sets accompanied by snow falling gently, causing black ice that to say the least is near impossible to walk on, much less drive on. Ever see a car moving down the road generally east while doing a lazy series of 360's regardless of anything the hapless driver did? That he didn't end up clogging the grille of a Peterbilt was a miracle.

The engineer in me just had to know, so I took a sample of snow of a known volume (6 inch PVC riser pipe 8 7/8 inch tall equals one gallon driven into the snow) and melted it. Using the resulting weight of the water multiplied by the area and the average depth of snow I had to shovel over the last four days alone: 3,921 pounds! Multiply that by ... hmmmm ... eight and you have the total weight of snow shoveled this season. That's 15.684 tons of snow moved. I like to think of that as winter aerobics!

Needless to say I'm looking for a winter home in ... Fiji.

Rob

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
One downside to this is that I think in the last 10 days, our drought area in California DOUBLED and we have ZERO rain in the long term forecast. I can't wait to see what the numbers will be in the next few weeks. We could be 1/3 of the state in a drought, during the middle of the wet season. We were saved a few years ago by a freak March, but otherwise it looks like the drought is back on in full force. That means it was what, < 1 year of no drought after a record breaking drought?

Seems the central valley of California is already in drought and it looks like maybe NO rain for Feb. Today I was working outside and it actually felt a bit hot with just a long sleeve shirt. I'm almost riding in my Summer setup (T shirt, mesh jacket) and we're in the middle of Winter.

·
Old, Bold rider
2,480 Posts
The engineer in me just had to know ... snow shoveled over the last four days alone: 3,921 pounds! Multiply that by ... hmmmm ... eight and you have the total weight of snow shoveled this season. That's 15.684 tons of snow moved. I like to think of that as winter aerobics!
Rob
Okay, that needs amending. After a solid week of above freezing temps, and one short excursion above 60 degrees, a storm blew in and rained for a couple of hours, then began to snow while the temperature stayed above freezing for most of the night. A bad progression of events from my point of view. LSS: eight inches of accumulation on the driveway and sidewalk. Not too bad ... until you factor in the conditions that created two inches of ice slush with six inches of heavy snow overlain on it. It took almost two hours to remove it, and given the heavy water laden slush it weighed about twice as much as an average snow accumulated while it was below freezing.

Bottom line: 7,346 pounds (3232 KG), raising the total shoveled this winter to 19.357 tons!

Fiji is looking better and better.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts