Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you golf fanatics out there, who do you like to win the green jacket this year? Play is underway, started at 8 am.

My pick is Mickelson, if he plays anything like last week he will be tough to beat.

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
Hard not to say Tiger

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
I am not sure Tiger has a shot this week. I mean he ALWAYS has a shot, but his head isnt going to be there this year. I would be surprised if he wins it. He always has a chance to back door his way into it like he did last year... when Dimarco fell apart. Tiger benefitting from the whole dirty ball end to the day, clean ball start of the next day fiasco... but thats a whole nother story!

SO... who to win it? tough call, Phatty Phil if he can carry over last weeks play has to be a favorite, but when does that ever happen. Catch lightning in a bottle and make it last 2 weeks? Tough to do.

Els? Knee is still questionable for 2 days let alone 4. Still, he has a shot.

Goosen? Might be his turn.

Jose Maria 'Where's my ball'... the guy is aging, but he loves the layout, the old layout at least. If the putter can get hot... he could be in the hunt come Sunday.

Tom Lehman? Wouldnt that be something. The course owes him a llittle... but I dont think it owes him THAT MUCH! But wouldnt that be something to see!?

Official pick? I'll go with KJ Choi!

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
midwest said:
Jose Maria 'Where's my ball'... the guy is aging, but he loves the layout, the old layout at least. If the putter can get hot... he could be in the hunt come Sunday.

QUOTE]

I'd say Jose and throw Lehman in there as a little too old unless they can put those new hybrid clubs to use. Did you see how long the dang course is!

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Funny bit of info I found on like 5 of the holes newly renovated...

To carry the bunker on #1 now is 331 yards.
To carry the bunker on #2 now is 319 yards.
To carry the bunker on #5 now is 319 yards.
To carry the bunker on #8 now is 319 yards.
To reach the 2nd bunker on #18 now is 317 yards

Isnt that interesting... seems those distances are REALLY close to where the new bombers are landing it. It might not be tailored for the big hitters afterall if they find these hazards!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
My money is on Happy Gilmore.:stuart:

I'd like to see Phil do it. But, I think he'll choke. I still think Woods has a good chance for a 5th. But, I would bet on Goosen.

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
Today's Through Overall Round
Pos Player Score Hole Score 1 2 3 4 T
----------------------------------------------------------------
1 V. Singh -5 15 -5
2 R. Mediate -4 18 -4 68 68
T3 A. Oberholser -3 15 -3
T3 B. Curtis -3 9 -3
T3 C. Campbell -3 7 -3
T6 F. Couples -2 13 -2
T6 D. Clarke -2 7 -2
T6 T. Clark -2 18 -2 70 70
T6 M. Weir -2 16 -2
T6 R. Goosen -2 16 -2
T11 D. Toms -1 15 -1
T11 T. Woods -1 14 -1

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Would it be bad form to say something like, Golf is stupid and a total bore. Or like, I can't believe cycle riders play such of droll sport? Because if it is, I won't say it.

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Golf is a sophisticated mans sport...

You my friend, need to say no more!

If you are not a player... DONT EVER START! Save your weekends and your money. Once you start it is a slippery road to becoming an addict. I kid you not!

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Tiger started when he was a wee lad... and look where that got him!

Leaderboard is WIDE open right now. VJ shot a nice score, but if he goes off late tomorrow, the wind will kill him! They were saying the course was at its tamest today... only getting worse from here on out. Friday will be a roller coaster for a lot of guys.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
It may be an awesome sport to play it (can't say that I have any inclination to do so even though we have many good golf courses here) but I just can't handle watching it on TV. I mean, you see the ball on the ground, then you see the guy swinging at something, and then, the camera is way up in the air (what am I looking at? who knows), finally, the camera is back down and the bowl is rolling down to a little hole (or close to it!) :D

Hey, I am not dizzing any of you guys... that's just my opinion :w00t: :cowboy:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I play a little, for fun, and it's basically an excuse to visit my dad and drink a few beers and talk about the world.

Other than that, I feel that if it's nice enough weather to play golf, it's nice enough to ride a motorcycle.

Someone once said "Golf is a good walk, spoiled." That pretty much sums it up when you're learning.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not here to defend golf, you either love the game or not. One thing I can say is that it is the hardest sport I have ever taken up. Watching these professionals on TV gives me a appreciation of their skill and tallent. Go to a driving rage and try hiting a ball 300+ yards and straight. How about a 200 yard par 3 where they land not only land it on the green but get the ball close to the pin. The $$$ ain't bad either!

In reference to nice weather and riding, you can have your cake and eat it too! I ride Sunday mornings and play golf in the afternoon.

That said, Vijay has the first round lead at 5 under.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
RC90, I think Mike said it well. You have a passion for it or not. The passion may fade at times, but never leaves you. Watching a Ryder Cup or the last round of The Masters is quite exciting.

I'm not very good compared to the guys I play with. These guys are at a point that it's more a mental game than physical. They play the course in their heads. Watching a very good or great golfer manipulate the ball is spiritual and just plain amazing.

Years ago, I had the opportunity of watching John Daly make an unmakeable shot look easy. Ball was 4 ft behind a tree, several trees between ball and green, no visability to the hole, about 130 yd to the hole. He takes a 3/4 swing, I shiet you not, this ball just curves round everything, lands on the end of the green, about 30 ft from the hole, and then just rolls to 4 ft. Just unf'n believeable!!

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
VJ will be lucky to see the top 5 when its over.... I THINK!

ITS THE MASTERS!

Friday wont tell much either, Saturday will be moving day, and Sunday will be all the drama!

Watching golf on TV does get lame, except for one week a year... THE MASTERS! The telecast is near commercial free thanks to Martha what was her name? Anyway, and it is viewed oddly as the greatest tourny to win, given the tradition involved. Money isnt bad either. Add to the Masters, the Ryder Cup, that is usually fun watching the Americans implode on themselves.

It is a truly an impossible game to master. Like I said, if you have never played, dont bother starting. The heartache and frustration it will save you is immeasureable. PLUS, saves the T times for guys like me!

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I'm not here to defend golf, you either love the game or not
Yeah but, that's true for almost any sport, isn't it. I love to watch Futbol (ya know... the real FootBall :tt2: ) but for some people it is a very boring game.

Go to a driving rage and try hiting a ball 300+ yards and straight. How about a 200 yard par 3 where they land not only land it on the green but get the ball close to the pin. The $$$ ain't bad either!
Again, not dizzing or anything but it is the same thing with other sports... shooting 3 pointers all day long is not an easy task, hitting a soccer ball only to put it in front of your team mate 50 yds away is definately NOT an easy task, etc, etc.

I have respect for the people who play it and those who like the game or have a passion for it but I just can't get myself to accept that it is a true Sport... that's all. Not hating on anybody or anything, that is how I feel.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Well, hats off to "MAN-BOOBS", he didn't choke today. The back half of the last round was quite good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts