Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hmmm, so the problem is, more correctly still is, isolated to a fully warmed up situation only.
All the sensor related hoses are good and correctly connected.
Plus you now have a new battery in it.
I can just imagine how much hair is getting yanked on hard!

You have the MAP Sensor, correct?
Might as well put it in and hope that it solves the problem.

To be frank though, my guess is that it won't solve the problem - although I hope it does.
Where does your coolant temp gauge needle range between with all this?
I'm a wee bit suspicious about the ECT Sensor.
IF it was sending a false "hot", the ECU responds by incrementally adding more fuel with increasingly abnormally hot temp signals from the ECT. BUT I don't at all know if the ECU only does that in higher power modes (per %TP x RPM).

Hopefully the MAP Sensor fixes it.
e
HEY, is your PAIRS still intact?

I'm grasping at straws.................
yes pairs are still intact.. and map sensor was replaced. my tank is still off and waiting to see if i should re place the igniton coil plug since i noticed it had a rip on the top of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yes pairs are still intact.. and map sensor was replaced. my tank is still off and waiting to see if i should re place the igniton coil plug since i noticed it had a rip on the top of it.
Absolutely replace the plug/boot. I had a tear on mine and it drove me nuts until we found it (by tracing the escaping spark). It was causing the cylinder to not fire, but it was anything but consistent and would come and go.

·
McTavish
6,309 Posts
Keep in mind that only one plug will be affected by the damaged boot.
Meanwhile you have plug wetness on how many cylinders?
All four?
The point being, it's sounding like you've been experiencing issues from at least two causes, and possibly a third.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Absolutely replace the plug/boot. I had a tear on mine and it drove me nuts until we found it (by tracing the escaping spark). It was causing the cylinder to not fire, but it was anything but consistent and would come and go.
anyone have a part number for those? or is it cheaper to just buy the coil and plug togther? theres a few on ebay and i want to make sure i get the right ones. if ur sitting on the bike its plug #3 to the right . the worst plug to remove

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Keep in mind that only one plug will be affected by the damaged boot.
Meanwhile you have plug wetness on how many cylinders?
All four?
The point being, it's sounding like you've been experiencing issues from at least two causes, and possibly a third.
yes all 4 plugs were wet when removed. so ive replaced the FPR, the MAP sensor, and also a new battery... now i guess ill be replacing a boot that has a slight tear in the top of it as well.... ughhhh

·
919 Rider
2,760 Posts
I’m leaning towards the ECT like mcromo44 suggested. One bad plug doesn’t explain why all four plugs are wet. Either all four plugs have a weak spark or all four cylinders are getting too much fuel.
Also all four headers are warming up evenly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
engine coolant temp or water temp sensor? there is no ect sensor just labled as water temp sensor with part number 37870-mat-e01

·
McTavish
6,309 Posts
engine coolant temp or water temp sensor? there is no ect sensor just labled as water temp sensor with part number 37870-mat-e01
I don't know about the correctness of the P/N, but if there is a parts schematic that shows the item being at the 'stat housing, then it's the right thing.
Word choice can really be misleading.
Honda calls it an ECT Sensor, emphasis on the letter C meaning Coolant.
Honda defines Coolant as the correct blend (50/50) of EG and Water.
Meanwhile, your source uses "water" temp, despite there being no "water" to take a temp of!
The only two temp measures on the bike are intake air and coolant.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
rufftup

Seriously, you have made my day by posting this 919 manual.
I can't take credit for that one, Silvio. That info was posted long before I even joined. There is a treasure trove of info here, to which I have contributed very little. Poke around and you'll find the answer to almost any question on the 919.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
Depending on where the tear is, perhaps some dielectric grease could be tried to see if it changes anything.
Plus 1000 on that. Dielectric grease on both ends of the wires.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
What's the easiest way to locate the map sensor on the 919?
FWIW
On page 5-70 of the factory service manual, the part identified as the MAP sensor is incorrect. The MAP sensor can be seen at the bottom of the second pic on the page, just under the vacuum canister.
The arrows are actually pointing to the intake air duct control solenoid valve, which is correctly identified as such on page 5-53.
In case anyone asks...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
welp swapped out the ECT sensor along with the MAP sensor and replaced the spark plugs and spark plug boot.... hopefully this fixes the isses

21 - 38 of 38 Posts